Animated Objects issues SAPS_Drunk_Man_Walking and Flying Geese.

jjeff1955

I see issues with the Animated Objects SAPS_Drunk_Man_Walking and Flying Geese and other Animated assets using the .kin animation file.

When the Animation first starts all is good at all Surveyor angles. When the Object progresses forward then the it vanishes at different angles.
Seems to be an issue with TRS19 and the .kin files no working together as they did in the past version of Trainz.
I have tried every tactic with the TGA Texture files and the config to get it to not Vanish, added a large radius number to no avail.
Angle Vanish issues happens with all .kin files

A lot of Chain link and Wood Fences have a low Radius number in the config file and they look very poor at a small distance away from them, Graphics quality drops out quickly. this is old school settings that need to be updated by the asset creators.
I would like to Repair them but the original Creators state in their License that they can not be modified whatsoever or uploaded to the DLS, and it is on the DLS as free assets. Seems to be very Selfish issues to me that they will not allow free improvements to Repair these issues for a much needed and better Content Quality.

Other Asset Graphic issues due to poor config file setups.
Chain Link Fence Radius brought up from 5 to 300 now looks perfect from far away, with no Performance hit.
3 Bar Wood fence was turning black a 1/16 mile away from it, I set the config radius up to 100 or more made it perfect from a huge Distance back, Wood color did not turn black or vanish. No performance hits at all.
Cheers!

Last edited:
I see issues with the Animated Objects SAPS_Drunk_Man_Walking and Flying Geese and other Animated assets using the .kin animation file...

I would like to Repair them but the original Creators state in their License that they can not be modified whatsoever or uploaded to the DLS, and it is on the DLS as free assets. Seems to be very Selfish issues to me that they will not allow free improvements to Repair these issues for a much needed and better Content Quality...

What is the KUID? I show this one built-in <kuid:439337:101815> SAP_Drunk_Old_Man_Walking_Animated by MSGSapper, and there is no mention about not being able to modify it.

Also read this https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Download_Station_License_Agreement

Last edited:
No that kuid old Man walking is not an issue with modifying it. SAP is a very kind and great Pearson no issues with him what so ever. I was just talking about other creators in general that do not want any help repairing their stuff.

No that kuid old Man walking is not an issue with modifying it. SAP is a very kind and great Pearson no issues with him what so ever. I was just talking about other creators in general that do not want any help repairing their stuff.

Then read the license agreement link I posted above;
https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Download_Station_License_Agreement

It does say you are allowed to repair those assets if found on the DLS, that is if I am reading it correctly. That's what makes this a community.

Faulty content
We grant any MyTrainz account permission to download any item of faulty content, create a new KUID2 version using the original UserID and ContentID, repair it in situ, and re-upload it.

You are not permitted to fundamentally change the content beyond what is necessary to make it compatible with the latest versions of Trainz.

Last edited:
Thank You Christopher824

for that Link, I am reading it now after I finish this post.
My whole point to this thread was mainly trying get an answer to the .kin file issues. I want to know why Trainz 2019 has that Surveyor angle rendering issue?

I have a lot of stuff on the DLS that I updated and Repaired with permissions to do so in writing from emails to upload for the Community to use for their Custom Maps.
A whole lot of 1.3, 2.4 2.9 assets were updated to the Trainz minimum build of 3.7 got some of them up to 4.6 with no errors and no missing dependencies.
I also made a lot of my own environmental Sounds for fun Ambiance of Birds, Crickets and other Sounds.
I Recorded my own Sounds and created the New Assets from Scratch.

I know that everything is royalty free on the DLS, but I still do not like seeing those Licence issues in their Config File.
I had one Person that made a decent Forklift and the Engine idle sounds were looping poorly with a loud Popping noise.

I emailed that Person and asked politely if I could have their permission to Repair the Sounds and re-upload it to the DLS with them as the original Creator in the Description?
The response that I got back was harsh, stating why would you ask me that no you can not touch my assets for any reason what so ever.
I resounded back kindly stating no problem good to know. So I deleted it from my Content folder and marked it never to use that person's assets ever again. Lol.
Cheers.

Last edited:
I am utterly certain you can not make a kuid2 version of someone else's asset and upload it to the dls. You may only upload your own.

I am utterly certain you can not make a kuid2 version of someone else's asset and upload it to the dls. You may only upload your own.

I agree, I think the Wiki may be misleading there, but that's how it reads. I use my kuid when repairing and mention the author.

All .kin files I made since 2004 with gmax work fine in any version of Trainz incl. TRS19sp3
have not seen any change here.

Content was made/tested in a specific version of Trainz with the then current content creation rules/guides
Tony told us 99.9% of old content will work fine in newer versions, and sofar I seen this to be true.
There is no need to change buildnumbers/tags to higher version in any old content.
It only leads to polution on the DLS and confusion for users.

The only save format that needs 4.6 is if PBR is used for textures or a route uses turfx
both are not available in older versions.

What i do here is always use the lowest possible buildnumber when making content
Thus people with older versions of Trainz (there are more than you think) can also use it.

I know you try to make things better, it is appreciated,
but avoid changing other peoples creations and if you do keep it for yourself
the same time could be used to make your own real new content instead.
greetings GM

You are correct you can not use a kuid2 with someone's asset what-so-ever, the DLS will reject it, and will state that the kuid2 is not your property to upload.
You can clone it with Permissions from that Creator and then Upload it as repaired, & or updated with the needed fixes for that Trainz Build Minimum Version Number of 3.5 to work without errors. The higher the build Number the more that the config file will need to be adjusted for the higher Build Specs.
The wiki is not very clear about that, but I do know an understand now as Zec has explained it to me.

Greetings & Hello to you G.M.
You are very correct in your statement, The Reason that I do upload stuff to the DLS is mainly for my own Custom Map, & Repaired assets for others to use.
The Stuff tat I have uploaded such as Maddy's Roads and the BNSF Grade Crossings were to Repair the config, Sound, Script, and Texture errors, with full Permissions from those Creators.

The Roads are of a Custom type for building Realistic Highways and Road System that have set Speed Limits, fun to watch the prototypical Traffic.

I do not intend to just upload stuff without a good Reason, just to raise the build number is not needed.
As for the 1.3,- 2.4 and so on builds work perfectly in my Map, yes PBR is completely different.

Lol, you said, make my own Content, wholly Molly if only I could, I would!
I started to watch the Tutorial on Blender and 3DSMax, and got a huge Head Ache just watching them do the Creations.
But all in all I sure am going to try to learn it, as I have so many ideas for Content and Animated Objects.
I got my extra monitor set up as extended Desktop and I will need to watch the Videos again and follow along on my 2nd Monitor and maybe I can catch on.
Cheers.

Hi All
Just to clarify.

If you wish to upload an asset to the Download Station under your own username, you MUST get explicit permission from the creator. This may be given in the license of the asset, but if the license does not explicitly say you can release updates under your username then you must contact the author for permission.

Many creators are protective of their works, and as such don't allow people to clone them and upload them under another username without first contacting the creator for permission. In some cases, they may also be bound by other license agreements (either from the source they a stock 3D model from, or simply from another creator who provided a part of their asset), and as such they may simply be required to place this restriction on their assets.

In regards to repairing and updating content, and releasing it under the original creator's name, this can only be done by our Content Repair Group, and only for content in the faulty asset list; or by the original creator of course. Yes, this may sometimes mean there's currently content with bugs that can't currently be repaired, but there are methods of handling this if necessary. But these strict rules are in place to ensure that the CRG only repairs content that actually needs repairing (ie they aren't just willy nilly uploading updates :) ).

As to the wiki, we don't explicitly cover copyright law and similar, as this would be far too much for us to cover, and it can vary by country. That said, for the most part it's pretty simple. Don't release something you haven't been explicitly told you can release (either in the license, or by contacting the creator) :)

If you can't get permission, then you cannot release it.

Regards

Back