Latest Build - Portal Problem

boleyd

Based upon the most recent release has the portal problem been solved? Obviously there are other issues.

This is the first new release I have not installed. A very fortunate decision.:cool:

Yes, the build has solved the portal problem. I ran multiple trains out of the portals so far with locomotives, and cab cars too without the derailments.

Being a beta, however, other issues have been introduced and they have been reported in detail.

Based upon the most recent release has the portal problem been solved? Obviously there are other issues.

This is the first new release I have not installed. A very fortunate decision.:cool:

May I kindly suggest that if you are not on the beta stream to help beta test it makes sense for you give up your beta stream and beta versions. It is expected that beta be handled as such... that is... Beta. ie; There are going to be problems. The purpose of beta testing is to help "dig out" these problems so they can be fixed. There is no need to be on beta if you are not going to install the release and test. And any beta install should be a SEPARATE install that is essentially for testing only. All "normal" route building, etc should always be done on a known STABLE & PUBLIC RELEASE version. Thus, the beta release is NOT a "new release." It is a BETA offered up for testing.

Respectfully, I just reported a problem in this release - crash to desktop when moving a switch. I ran some tests suggested by Tech Support but I could not duplicate it. N3V employee suspected and there may be a conditions based setting effecting the re-calc of some index values. I agreed that "conditions" were compounded by old, not fully understood code.

I have been in N3Vs shoes. 3am phone calls from the Univac-494 console operator while I paged through a 3 inch thick book that contained the listing of the instructions for the operating system. Fortunately I fixed those very large computers for a prior 8 years, so I could sometimes just have one of the site engineers rolled out of bed to check the hardware.. The OS (Spurt) was my responsibility. After retirement I took a personal pledge to stop fixing hardware and software. I became a "customer". complaining about the same things that brought 3am calls. I must confess that actually engaging in troubleshooting, with a current professional, was sort of fun.

Anyhow back to the original topic. I made a mistake when ordering the product. There was some confusion at the time and I ended up in Beta territory. Given my bad experience going between Trainz versions I just decided to stay with the "beta" process. Time passed and an update appeared. Forgetting I was Beta made for some exciting times. But changing program versions was less appealing than sticking it out and not grabbing the latest Beta.

Just in case you buy a Univac-I from Amazon, and they will not honor the guarantee, I can probably fix it for you.
Did you know that the forerunner to the transistor in computers was the 2E26 vacuum tube.

I didn't intend to sound harsh or anything. It's just that you often seem unhappy with beta releases and you make it clear in your posts so I thought I'd remind you that you don't have to do beta just because it's there. Curious, what did you order that provides beta? Gold/Plus subscription is only thing I'm aware of, and then you must turn on beta stream to get the beta's.

My first experince with computers was the Data General Nova with the front panel switches and papertape reader. And likewise, when I first started in publishing back in the early 70's I maintained tape drives and APS-4 phototypesetters. They (and the front end composer system) used CPU's similar to the Nova. But I was lucky enough (and it was pure luck) to get to move to Magnuson mainframes (plug compatible to IBM) which gave me oportunity to get out of hardware/software and into operations. Left publishing in 1997 and went a totally different direction: Retail Hobby Store where I sold what else but... trains, trains, and trains among all the other stuff.

I apologize if I mis-read your post but I hate to see people suffer through beta releases if they don't enjoy the headaches. I think most do it just to get "the latest version" thinking they are ahead of every one else.

Best...

According to your tag line you have build 111951 which is the latest (non beta) recent release of TRS19 (all versions). Any newer build numbers would be beta releases which are not for the faint-hearted.

Wow those are older "computer items". I really like their physical design. Interesting how quickly publishing saw their advantages. And a lot safer than the 800volt 100amp supply feeding the Univac equipment.

Anyhow, BETA was my mistake. I focused more on the new "latest" stuff not the fine print. I paid the price a few times due to "eager" updates.

Yes, the build has solved the portal problem. I ran multiple trains out of the portals so far with locomotives, and cab cars too without the derailments.

Being a beta, however, other issues have been introduced and they have been reported in detail.

Well I'm certainly looking forward to the release version fixes for portals then John. I've been really enjoying my much treasured GER Norfolk layout running under SP3, - or at least I do until one of the portals has a fit and messes things up and ruins my fun. I had started to change some of the routes on my layout over to working from storage loops and schedule libraries instead of portals, but I don't really want to do that everywhere on my layout unless I really have to.

Annie

I implemented a Reciprocal Exchange tracks (neutral company track) that work well. Company A drops cars on a section of track and the primary company (subject of the route) takes them to their yard for distribution. Yes, you could have preset times for trains to deliver cars. But that is very messy with trains pre-qued "hiding in the shadows".

At least on my system the Short Basic Portal works quite well without issues. It delivers trains on schedule, they go to a trackmark, uncouple, and the delivering engine returns, via the portal, to its home. On the way it triggers a local engine to come out to the reciprocal track to pickup the dropped cars and place them in its yard for local delivery. Build 111951.

Last edited:
Most of the problems I am having are due to the portals not accepting incoming trains so they either run off the end of the portal track and derail or partly accept a train and leave the rest of the wagons or coaches marooned on the portal track. This often leads to sudden simulator freeze ups of about 5 seconds or so which can cause other trains in motion to lose parts of their schedules which leads to an ever developing state of chaos.
Like you boleyd I've found the Short Basic Portal to be largely trouble free and with a smaller number of emitting portals on the layout I don't really have too many problems with them. It's the Basic Portal and the other portal made to look like a tunnel that are unreliable when it comes to accepting trains. I really don't know what to do here, - wait for the next fixit patch which is supposed to be released soon (TM), - or carry on with eliminating portals altogether.

I would stick with portals the alternative is having trains setting waiting to execute. I use Central Portal Control because on its builtin schedule AND the immediate emission of the first train. I hate to wait for that first train only to have a problem.You have the emission schedule plus the commission schedule for each train at one place. I have no problems with Short basic accepting trains but I am running with only 5 cars/wagon to a train. The imaginary railroad is supposed to be a local shoreline fed by one or more majors (portals) so only a few cars are exchanged compared to many times that between, or within, a major railroad. The geographic setting is only about 150 miles from my home with the coal power plants shutting down some of the high grade coal is not needed thus my 2 mines are not producing large consists. So the major railroad (portal) sends me 5 cars to fill and post them for delivery to the major serving the power plants (those remaining). My 15 minute time went off while typing and the train auto emitted and is running....

The Beta crew says the portal issues are fixed in the update.

Back