First Time Builder- Copy/Paste Question

redbaran11

Hi all,
I've had Trainz 2019 for a bit now, and after finally getting through the Transdem learning curve, I've begun building my first route. Specifically The Virginia Blue Ride Railway, a 16 mile long short line that was known for being one of the last holdouts of steam in the US.

That being said, I seem to have hit a road block with the Copy/Paste function. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's bugged. From my understanding, selecting the area selects what you want copied, and when you hit the paste function it should still hold the square outline and you just click to paste. However, when I click the paste function, the box simply disappears and nothing happens clicking on the route. Am I missing something obvious, missing a step, or could it be some sort of bug?

Appreciate any assistance!

Depends, what have you selected to copy? Terrain, assets, splines and or track? There are 4 selections to choose from. If you selected none then that's what you get. Not on pc so hard to elaborate.

Here is the sequence that just worked for me in TRS19 SP3.

1. Select the items you want to copy by making sure the 4 boxes for paste terrain, paste textures, paste objects and paste track have light grey backgrounds. If the background is black then they won't be included in the paste.
2. Click Select Area button and draw a box around the items you want to copy.
3. Click the green button with the white arrow to enter paste mode and a box the same size as you copied will attach to the cursor. Move it to the spot you want to paste and click the left mouse button to paste. You can rotate before pasting with the clock.

Leave Paste mode by clicking the green button again to turn paste mode off.

Be aware that splines only copy complete segments which means if you cut the track spline between spline points it will not copy the incomplete bit of track.

Also, rotating the paste can mess up the rotation of pasted objects a tiny bit. Just fix them after leaving paste mode.

William

Last edited:
Here is the sequence that just worked for me in TRS19 SP3.

1. Select the items you want to copy by making sure the 4 boxes for paste terrain, paste textures, paste objects and paste track have light grey backgrounds. If the background is black then they won't be included in the paste.
2. Click Select Area button and draw a box around the items you want to copy.
3. Click the green button with the white arrow to enter paste mode and a box the same size as you copied will attach to the cursor. Move it to the spot you want to paste and click the left mouse button to paste. You can rotate before pasting with the clock.

Leave Paste mode by clicking the green button again to turn paste mode off.

Be aware that splines only copy complete segments which means if you cut the track spline between spline points it will not copy the incomplete bit of track.

Also, rotating the paste can mess up the rotation of pasted objects a tiny bit. Just fix them after leaving paste mode.

William

Wreeder,
Those are the steps I took to attempt to use it. However, the problem is when I click the green button w/ white arrow... no white box outline appears. nothing except just the standard mouse cursor. and thats the point in the process that's the road block and why I'm wondering if there's some sort of bug im running into... everything I've seen on using it shows the box after clicking it but nothing is showing for me.

It might be a bug if you are using a beta version. What is the build number of your TRS19?

William

It might be a bug if you are using a beta version. What is the build number of your TRS19?

William

Ahhaa, yup, that would be it. Just did a google search of my version, Trainz Plus 12778 and it popped up release notes stating copy / paste is broken. Stillll learning things as you can see lol. Is there any way to revert back to the previous version?

You should use a separate install for beta versions. Beta means there are going to be bugs.

To "revert back" -
Download a fresh version of TRS19 and INSTALL IN A DIFFERENT FOLDER than your current one. At this point you can either install all your routes fresh -or- you can rename your datafolder and point the new app to it then do a database rebuild.

If everything is working OK with the new install then the "old" beta version can be deleted, or keep it, let it generate a new datafolder, and use it for beta tests ONLY.

Last edited:
That did the trick, thank you.

You should use a separate install for beta versions. Beta means there are going to be bugs.

To "revert back" -
Download a fresh version of TRS19 and INSTALL IN A DIFFERENT FOLDER than your current one. At this point you can either install all your routes fresh -or- you can rename your datafolder and point the new app to it then do a database rebuild.

If everything is working OK with the new install then the "old" beta version can be deleted, or keep it, let it generate a new datafolder, and use it for beta tests ONLY.

Back