signals

A signal shows two blocks ahead. Is a block signal to signal or switch to switch? Does a switch act as a signal in any way? Confused

A signal shows two blocks ahead. Is a block signal to signal or switch to switch? Does a switch act as a signal in any way? Confused

Not being well versed in US signalling, if that is what you are using, I can mention that with UK signalling [4 aspect colour light] you can expect the following sequence. Approaching a red light will be preceded by a single yellow, which is preceded by double yellow, preceded by green. Each section between signals is known as a block. Most signalling is based, by-and-large, on this system. Switches do not act as signals as far as I am aware.

Forgive me for asking, but... You've had seven versions of Trainz beginning with TRS2004 and you don't know interaction of switch and a signal and blocks? Me thinks you are maybe having some fun with us? Confused

Last edited:
It depends up on the type of signal.

If you are using absolute or interlocking signals, then this will be switch to switch, but if you are using permissive or diverging signals, then it is signal to signal.

The normal sequence is Green ----> Yellow ----> flashing Yellow ---> Red.

Now this depends upon the scripting, and is based on the US NORAC or Northeast Operating Rules Advisory Committee rulebook. I believe N3V uses NORAC rules as the base. In Jointed Rail parlance the signals are broken down as follows.

Type 04 = Absolute
Type 05 = Permissive/Home
Type 06 = Diverge.
Type 06d = Distant or advanced to indicate upcoming diverging signals
Type 08 = Interlocking - 3-heads used for Wyes, crossovers, and other complex track setups.

N3V has similar signals using the same designations.

In the US, a different system is used for companies west of Chicago, and there's yet another system for Chicago metro due to the number of both western and eastern rail routes from what was once many different companies. We can then add in individual organization variants on the same rules, but subtle and not so subtle differences between them.

Forgive me for asking, but... You've had seven versions of Trainz beginning with TRS2004 and you don't know interaction of switch and a signal and blocks? Me thinks you are maybe having some fun with us? Confused
since trainz has come out the block was from signal- a green cleared you for 2 blocks ahead - the map will operate without signals- with that the program has changed -different versions seem to operate different-the program is supposed to operate with older version but sometimes it does not-just wanting to know how this version operates traniz19- tks for the replies

No worries, Greg. You've come in when there are some sophisticated signal systems. Back in the TRS2004 days things were a lot simpler. tmodel1121 appears to have started around the same time I did, or shortly afterwards. Back then we had built-in simple signals that worked as was described above in his original post. The signals only looked as far as the next junction and at one point, up through TRS2009 or TS2010, that people made use of invisible junctions placed periodically to act as blocks on what would otherwise be a single track. This was to trick the signals into creating blocks so that long single track sections wouldn't cause the AI to run at half speed. The AI will drop to safe-handling, which is half the posted speed, and run as if he's running under yellow signals.

Starting with TS12 and up, Jointed Rail and others have created "smart" signals. These are scripted signals that see past the junctions and see each other. The only time a signal is directly affected by a junction is one that will interact with one such as an absolute signal (Type 04) If a junction is set against the driver, the Type 04 will drop to a red signal, and cause other signals in its line to fall down to various aspects. An AI driving through a permissive, will pass through those at reduced speed should that signal drop to a yellow. A permissive, or distant signal, will indicate the upcoming signal's aspect, or act as a warning in the case of a red. In the simpler times, this wasn't so.

Back