Trainz Plus Beta - 112778 (PC)

Thanks for the feedback guys - keep it coming.

For the floating object issue, we haven't got a reliable repro as yet. Any more info would be helpful.

For the people seeing the spinning cursor, please advise whether this happens on all routes. Which build version are the routes you are loading? Is this only in Edit Route? etc

Tony,
Regarding the spinning cursor:
In my case it appears after pressing the "Driver / Surveyor"button and then on the next page.
This is before a route is selected - and it appears to be permanently present.
Laurie

Thanks for the feedback guys - keep it coming.

For the floating object issue, we haven't got a reliable repro as yet. Any more info would be helpful.

Even I am puzzled as all I did was load my route as normal and objects where everywhere that weren't supposed to be there.
You can test this as its in the TCCP system by claiming package 519 and loading it in driver / surveyor mode again as normal.

Cheers

Spinning object is present permanently in the menus for Driver / Surveyor, My Content and More Content. It never ceases, just keeps spinning. In build 111951 the object disappears once the menu is fully loaded.

Graeme

Last edited:
Update:
The endless spinner is due to the MPS beta server being offline. Ignore that for now.

Objects in the wrong location.
>>
Appears to be a streaming issue that loads the objects in the wrong location. It is expected to be a visual issue only, but to be safe, don't save any routes in this beta just in case. (That's pretty much standard procedure for any beta of course).

Tony,

While exploring the rather mixed bag of assets with various TBs and categories clutched up by a "package" I came across a multitude of assets that are missing a tag at TB 4.6 that CM declares as faulty.

This from a KIND Scenery Ground Cover Stones 1b Auran TB 4.6

Extract from config.txt

mesh-table
{
lod1n
{
mesh-asset <kuid:661281:97517>
mesh "Stones1Clod1n.trainzmesh"
auto-create 1
lod-level 0
mesh-season 0
}
}
custom-category-list "FXCLT"

kuid-table
{
0 <kuid:661281:97517>
}

Extract from fault status of a similar asset

; <kuid2:661281:97520:1> : Validating <kuid2:661281:97520:1>
- <kuid2:661281:97520:1> : VE60: Required tag 'mesh-table-lod-transition-distances' was missing and has been set to default.

This is quite a common fault from many creators, including Auran, when upversioning to TB 4.6 or above. Up to this TB it was a warning only.

Here is the extract from validation inheritance.txt mesh-object

mesh-table-lod-transition-distances
{
kind value
type floatlist
compulsory 4.6
minimum-version 4.6
default 100.0
}

The above is the culprit. See article at Trainz Content Creation at end of this post. It is still shown as 'compulsory 4.6' in validation yet intent is to be optional at TB 4.6. Yet we are now at TB 4.8 in Trainz Plus and causing hundreds of false faulties.

I trialled a default tag:

mesh-table-lod-transition-distances "1000"

which satisfied CM and displayed the image in Preview Viewer.

Apart from the fact that creators need to be reminded to include this tag, it then needs some guidance on what are optimum or typical ranges of values.

Extract from Wiki:

mesh-table-lod-transition-distances

The "mesh-table-lod-transition-distances" tag (float array) determines the distances in meters at which each mesh-table LOD level ends. This means that there is effectively one more mesh-table LOD than entries in this array. With an empty array (i.e. to tag value), no mesh-table LOD is used. With three values in the array, four mesh-table LOD indices are used (ie. 0, 1, 2, 3). For small objects, it may be appropriate to not provide any meshes for the final mesh-table LOD index, effectively giving some number of meaningful LOD variants and a final "null" LOD where no rendering occurs.
This is used in conjunction with the "lod-level" tag in the "mesh-table" Container. Note that mesh-table LOD is an entirely separate concept from LM.txt file format LOD. You should not attempt to configure the LM.txt transition distances using this tag. It is, however, possible to combine the effects.
This tag does not override user settings for draw distance and scenery detail. If a LOD transition takes place beyond the master draw distance for that object type, it will never be visible. Furthermore, at lower detail settings the LOD ranges may be adjusted to be more aggressive than specified by the content creator.

The validation default only masks the issue and does little to get the LOD Transition Distances optimised for the supplied LOD meshes.

The following is a rather simplistic view for custom-category-list that I was about to trial in TARDIS as a default value.

However it applies to all LOD meshes.
;
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
;CUSTOM-CATEGORY-LIST - LOD TRANSITION DISTANCES
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
;These are default values.
;Creators need to optimise.
;Note that at LOD 0 I shouldn't need this tag.
;
-If|custom-category-list@
;
-Update|mesh-table-lod-transition-distances|1000
;
-Category|category-keyword|_LOD_Transitions
;
-Else
;
;do nothing
;
-Endif
;
;But then what about multiple LOD Levels and different types of objects besides ground cover.
;CM will fault the default value if there are LOD Levels.

Aha! At the Trainz Content Creation website:
;
lod_transitions_1b.jpg

Controlling LOD Distances
;
As content quality and fidelity improve over time and in-game objects look more and more realistic, it becomes increasingly important to ensure the Level of Detail (LOD) is carefully managed.
Imagine the performance impact of a very high resolution asset that doesn’t reduce in complexity when it apears as a few pixels on screen.
In the current Trainz, the game decides when to reduce LOD. In the next version of Trainz, we’re providing the Content Creators the power to customise and control when each LOD cuts in. This gives more flexibility to allow more aggressive scene reduction
;

;
We’ll be introducing a new config.txt tag (“mesh-table-lod-transition-distances”) to control the distance at which the LOD transitions occur.
The use of this feature replaces the “mesh-detail-level-count” and “maximum-lod-distance” tags, which will be obsolete as of v4.6 (the expected trainz-build number for our next Trainz product).
The “mesh-table-lod-transition-distances” tag will be optional as of v4.6 and if used must contain a float array specifying the end distances for each LOD level. If this tag is omitted, then no mesh-table LOD is used.
This is suitable for low-detail scenery assets and for LM-only assets such as train vehicles or Carz.
;
Example:
;
mesh-table-lod-transition-distances 10.0, 30.0, 150.0, 1000.0
This example specifies 5 mesh-table LOD levels.
The first (LOD 0) ranges from 0.0m to 10.0m.
The first (LOD 1) ranges from 10.0m to 30.0m.
The first (LOD 2) ranges from 30.0m to 150.0m.
The first (LOD 3) ranges from 150.0m to 1000.0m.
beyond this the asset won’t be rendered.
;
Practical Example:
;
Here is an example of an in-game asset that has LOD versus one that doesn’t.
On the left we are showing <kuid2:134105:28049:1> Terrace 1 – LOD
On the right we are showing <kuid:134105:28041> Terrace 1
;

;
With LOD implemented, the creator Paulzmay reduces the house from 168 polygons to just 14 at the lowest LOD.

So with 32,000 of these items loaded (using the “Performance Anaysis” option in Preview Asset) we see that the LOD version requires just 22,644 polys and 9 draw calls versus a mammoth 1,666,224 polys and 53 draw calls for the no-LOD version. That’s 80x less polys
In the image below is a beautiful street lamp. The closeup view shows how detailed this item really is. However, in the distant view, with no-LOD, each lamp is still being drawn with all 2,780 polygons per lamp, even when the item is a single pixel wide on screen. So now the scene is rendering over 12 Million polys!
;

;

Last edited:
Tony mentioned that it was related to a multiplayer beta server being offline. They have probably brought it back online and solved the problem. It didn't really affect anything and seemed to be more of an annoyance if anything.
Unfortunately it didn't fix the copy/paste issue:(
Graeme

Last edited:
Got this one while loading a route into Driver.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Error while loading route.jpg
    Error while loading route.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Error while loading route.jpg
    Error while loading route.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 309
Script error while driving...

- <kuid:179051:104005> : Asset.FindAsset> Unable to find 'nameplate-textures' in kuid-table (file asset.gs)
; <kuid:179051:104005> : Script class: hst
; <kuid:179051:104005> : MeshObject: <kuid:179051:104005> "GWR Class 43"
; <kuid:179051:104005> : Script callstack
; <kuid:179051:104005> : function $Asset@Asset::FindAsset(string), line -1
; <kuid:179051:104005> : function $void@hst::SetLocosup(), line 453
; <kuid:179051:104005> : function $void@hst::Init(), line 441
; <kuid:179051:104005> : function $void@MeshObject::Init(Asset), line 347
- <kuid:179051:104005> : Asset.FindAsset> Unable to find 'nameplate-textures' in kuid-table (file asset.gs)
; <kuid:179051:104005> : Script class: hst
; <kuid:179051:104005> : MeshObject: <kuid:179051:104005> "GWR Class 43"
; <kuid:179051:104005> : Script callstack
; <kuid:179051:104005> : function $Asset@Asset::FindAsset(string), line -1
; <kuid:179051:104005> : function $void@hst::SetLocosup(), line 453
; <kuid:179051:104005> : function $void@hst::Init(), line 441
; <kuid:179051:104005> : function $void@MeshObject::Init(Asset), line 347
- <kuid2:116296:94157:3> : File tc3_script7.gs, Line 683, ER_NullReference
; <kuid2:116296:94157:3> : Script class: tc3_script7
; <kuid2:116296:94157:3> : MeshObject: <kuid2:116296:94157:3> "J94 Hunslet Austerity Royal Engineers"
; <kuid2:116296:94157:3> : Script callstack
; <kuid2:116296:94157:3> : function $void@tc3_script7::BrowserClick_HandleLamps(Message), line 505
; <kuid2:116296:94157:3> : function $void@tc3_script7::BrowserClick(Message), line 204

This has got me stumped...after updating, I seem to have lost the ability to see the dls by selecting a particular date and don't seem to be getting any updated assets anymore. I tried accessing the dls for each day for the last 2 months and it just comes up blank. Any suggestions welcomed!

This has got me stumped...after updating, I seem to have lost the ability to see the dls by selecting a particular date and don't seem to be getting any updated assets anymore. I tried accessing the dls for each day for the last 2 months and it just comes up blank. Any suggestions welcomed!

The same happens for me using the filtering like that. Content Manager is acting weird in this version.

I suggest using the Upload date column and sort that in descending date-order.

Thanks John! I knew something was fubared with this Content Manager. Tried the upload date and at least I can see what new is uploaded! Hope they get this fixed in the next update.

I am having issues with CM incorrectly displaying items I have uploaded to the DLS as being not uploaded.

John

after installing build 111951 part way through scanning for asset updates the program crashes resulting in a total shutdown of my PC with no error messages or warning. Now i am unable to run the program at all and have only T;ANE available
MGL

It seem the screen feature does not function when attempting full baseboard, zoom out, shots. The resulting screen shot is just blue/white background.

John

MGL - This thread is about a beta-build (112778 for PC) for Plus members that is quite different from your Build 111951 (Service Pack 3 for TRS19 and TRS19-Platinum).
What you are reporting, however, is very concerning. Suggest send in a Bug Report for Build 111951 to this link https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu and please post your comments in the correct Build's thread to seek help from fellow forum members.
Sounds like you need to reinstall from your MyTrainz account. As always, make sure you have a full backup of your UserData folder and files before attempting to patch or reinstall TRS19 program files.

Back