TRS19 - game crashes when a train approaches at speed

Paulsw2

Ambling on the slow line
Very odd - I've just realised that, when a train is approaching head-on as viewed by a lineside camera, the game crashes to the desktop. Hadn't noticed this behaviour before as I'm usually in the cab or using the tracking camera. Upon closer inspection, it seems to happen at higher speeds (above 50 or 60 mph). Maybe there's just 'too much information' when a train is approaching at high speed from the lineside, so the game just crashes?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Paul

I'd try to narrow it down more.
All trains?
All cameras or just this one?
How much does speed matter? (Run the train below 50kmh - does it still happen?)
If you can find the exact repro please submit a bug report: Trainz Bug Report

Also, the other variable with trains at speed seems to be a sound driver bug - so try turning off sound as well to see if that solves the problem.
If so, are you using bluetooth headphones?

Paulsw2 - There was an audio-software-related issue that affected some older versions of Trainz when consists reached speeds just over 60 mph when viewed externally/ in lineside camera mode.
That has been mitigated since by N3V Devs, and may be avoided in systems so-affected by turning the sound OFF in the Settings menu. (i.e. Not such a good work-around).
The changes made to the code fixed the issue for my rig and that of thousands of others.
This begs the question: What Build/ Version are you running that exhibits this behaviour?
Simple fix might be to upgrade to the latest, Service Pack 3 Build.

Last edited:
I've been having this issue for a while and still do on the newest builds, though I can never recreate it when I attempt to. It seems to happen randomly. For me I also get it using the 4-key roaming view if I am watching a train approach at speed. Have not had it happen with a train traveling under 50mph. It's happened at least three times, with three very different consists.

I may try turning off sound for a while and see if that changes anything but like I said, it's completely random (and fairly uncommon) so it may be hard to get meaningful results from that.

I generally do use bluetooth headphones if that is important, Tony.

Very interesting responses! I'd better do a bit more testing. I can confirm that I'm in build 111951 (ie. up to date) and I have to say I don't recall seeing this problem in earlier builds. Also, the problem doesn't seem to replicate in trains going under 40 mph.

Re sound - I've just acquired some Logitech ProX wireless gaming headphones and Trainz does sound great (and fully surround sound) through these 'phones. So a great disappointment if I have to turn off the sound!

Paul

My train is crashing at 56mph will try it with sound off and see what happens.
Just tried it with the sound off no different. I have just bought a new laptop which is more than capable of running this program.

Last edited:
This problem was referenced in another recent thread (and, predictably, I can't remember which one now) and I think there was a suggestion it might be connected to old sound card drivers that need updating. Anyone else remember this?

Paul

Yes. The problem is most likely related to your sound card drivers. Check the manufacturer's web site for updates. Typically, when Windows installs a system update sometimes the sound drivers are set to the default Windows generic versions and not to the manufacturers versions.

Back