Log Timber Retaining Wall

Frank,

You seem to be correct. Most of the retaining walls on the DLS are made of stone or concrete. The only ones I found made of logs were some that I created on request for a wall of Ponga tree fern trunks, as found in New Zealand. Unfortunately, these walls are not the type you want - they are made of vertical not horizontal trunks, held together by wire. The trunks are dark grey in colour and covered in the stubs of broken fern fronds, something like palm tree trunks. Nothing like the typical timber logs of European/American trees.

HEjxjgg.jpg

I am currently making a series of fences and retaining walls for the guy who requested the Ponga assets, but if nobody else has made any log walls by the time I finish that series, I will see if I can make some. For the benefit of myself (and anyone thinking of making such log walls), should the walls be sloped or vertical? How high? Should they be made with a ground plane behind them or just the logs?

p.s. I like your surname. It doesn’t sound very Spanish, but for some reason, I like it. :)

Deane

Last edited:
Frank,

You seem to be correct. Most of the retaining walls on the DLS are made of stone or concrete. The only ones I found made of logs were some that I created on request for a wall of Ponga tree fern trunks, as found in New Zealand. Unfortunately, these walls are not the type you want - they are made of vertical not horizontal trunks, held together by wire. The trunks are dark grey in colour and covered in the stubs of broken fern fronds, something like palm tree trunks. Nothing like the typical timber logs of European/American trees.

HEjxjgg.jpg

I am currently making a series of fences and retaining walls for the guy who requested the Ponga assets, but if nobody else has made any log walls by the time I finish that series, I will see if I can make some. For the benefit of myself (and anyone thinking of making such log walls), should the walls be sloped or vertical? How high? Should they be made with a ground plane behind them or just the logs?

p.s. I like your surname. It doesn’t sound very Spanish, but for some reason, I like it. :)

Deane

there is a tie retaining wall. two versions, single item and spline. I've modded one of or two of clam1952's retaining walls into a log version , its probably better to have a ground plane behind as its hard to fill it up if the wall is vertical,. Their use would be much greater if they could be reskinned as getting correct ground textures to match the ground behind the wall can be an issue. I know you arent terribly keen on people reskinning your work, but if you made a generic one which could be reskinned for upload to the DLS it could be very useful. both vertical and sloped would be great.

Deane

That would be great!

Walls a couple of meters high could be vertical, but taller ones as in the mountains are generally seen to be sloped to some degree. I'd think 20 meters would be the limit.

Sloping ones would not need a ground plane -- I have issues with the available embankments with ground planes -- the textures never match the ground cover I'm using. So I would vote no plane. (Travel by train is much nicer, don't you think?)

:B~)

Thank you for your comments, and as I assumed the retaining walls made with logs do not exist yet, I will try to do one when I finish what I have in hand.

For Deane: In Spain the name and surname are somewhat more complicated than in countries of British origin.
We usually have one or two or more names, along with two surnames, the first from the father and the second from the mother.
In my case, I created a username for the internet based loosely on my real name.

Father's first surname: "De------"
Mother's first surname: "An-----"
Internet Surname: De + An: Dean

Very interesting story Frank. My forum name was a fictional Roman emperor, my character in an old game of Sid Meier's Civilization. Too late to change it some something shorter and less stupid.

I am happy to leave the creation of log walls to you. I just was not sure if you were an asset creator or not.

Very interesting story Frank. My forum name was a fictional Roman emperor, my character in an old game of Sid Meier's Civilization. Too late to change it some something shorter and less stupid.

I am happy to leave the creation of log walls to you. I just was not sure if you were an asset creator or not.

I don't think it stupid, I admire the erudition however you came by it. I was never ruthless enough to triumph in Civ after version II....

:B~)

Back