Rogue Shadow

rjbradley

As I was working on my route adding buildings, I noticed a group of small shadows that didn't appear to be associated with any assets near them.
Here's what they look like
Rogue-Shadow.jpg

So after about an hour of transferring buildings to hidden layers, the shadows finally disappeared when this building was hidden
Picture-1.jpg

It is QCRR_House_12, by Bendorsey, from the DLS. I had no idea why it was causing this rogue shadow, which is around 850 horizontal metres away from the building.
Loading the building into a blank route and taking a good look around the building, I was surprised to find a dormer suspended around 900m above the building.
Dormer.jpg

This easily explains why the rogue shadow is so far away from the building. So if anyone has used this building in their route, expect to find this rogue shadow showing up somewhere unexpected.:hehe:

I also, have had the same problem with some of the late Ben Dorsey's buildings it's a problem with the mesh. I know of no way to fix it.

Cheers, evilcrow.

I'm sure this isn't same thing but odd... I just came across this weirdness today running a session on Tidewater. A person shadow was moving back and forth. I zoomed back a bit (moved camera back) and the person suddenly appeared out of thin air. There was one tiny camera location where the shadow only showed.

I'm sure this isn't same thing but odd... I just came across this weirdness today running a session on Tidewater. A person shadow was moving back and forth. I zoomed back a bit (moved camera back) and the person suddenly appeared out of thin air. There was one tiny camera location where the shadow only showed.

This is a different problem related to something wrong with a LOD mesh with the Neoklei people. Sometimes, if you turn the camera a certain way the person will appear and the same will occur if you move a certain distance away.

Related to the issue the OP has, I had something similar to that with a large gantry crane. The asset produced a shadow that went fully across the baseboard that was disconnected from the actual object. After moving, hiding, and deleting objects, I finally found the errant shadow's owner and removed the asset which was the cause awful performance problems anyway.

Last edited:
Was the disappearing person one of the animated Neokolai people (or possibly a reskin derived from one of his assets)? I have noticed they sometimes vanish at close range, leaving only the shadow, but pop back into view at longer range. The opposite of how LOD is supposed to work, and how does an invisible mesh cast a shadow? Weird physics.

As for the rogue mesh parts of Bendorsey’s house(s), these assets might be fixable by the Content Repair Group. I know there are programs that can do it, but I’m not sure if the CRG rules allow them to do such surgery on assets before releasing back to the DLS under the original author’s kuid number. A message to Clam1952 would answer that question.

Last edited:

As for the rogue mesh parts of Bendorsey’s house(s), these assets might be fixable by the Content Repair Group. I know there are programs that can do it, but I’m not sure if the CRG rules allow them to do such surgery on assets before releasing back to the DLS under the original author’s kuid number. A message to Clam1952 would answer that question.

The CRG does have a process with N3V for fixing assets that don't behave as expected. I'll ask for it to be added to the faulty list and see what can be done.

Was the disappearing person one of the animated Neokolai people (or possibly a reskin derived from one of his assets)? I have noticed they sometimes vanish at close range, leaving only the shadow, but pop back into view at longer range. The opposite of how LOD is supposed to work, and how does an invisible mesh cast as shadow? Weird physics.

Might be related to processing objects behind the camera perhaps? This was a problem in model railway layouts where buildings close to the track would suddenly disappear just as you passed them in a loco.

Back