Can't wrap my head around electric power cables.

Vaye

So a few days ago I downloaded some Polish trains for my custom route but then I realized I can't seem to find any power cables and since most of the locos I downloaded are electric it just looks stupid to let them go on these tracks without any power cables overhead. Right now I found some german pylons with names I am unable to repeat but I can't seem to find any cable assets to connect these with. So yeah I need some help searching because rn I've spent like 30 minutes in the search filter already and can't find anything useful.

The electric cables you refer to are called catenary in english
Every country has it's own system, there is a lot on the DLS but even more outside.
What you can do, is open a route you like close to the system you would like to use
FI Polish or German
study what catenary is used and how in that route in surveyor
then Ctrl-Shift-F opens the filter, make a new Picklist
and drag items from the tabs on the right over to that new picklist
In your own route by opening the picklist you have the items you need
another tip: use a separate layer for catenary, then you can turn it off and go steam era if you want
greetings GM

edit typos

Last edited:
On the DLS and elsewhere, are multiple variations not only based on the country of origin, but also how they're implemented in Trainz. Some are the easy drag and pull to cover the mainline while others are made up of individual components such as insulators, line tensioners , circuit breakers, section breaks, and everything in between. With the component system, these parts are track-objects and scenery objects that are snapped together to produce the catenary. This system looks really, really nice, but it's complicated and time-consuming to setup.

Since this is your first time at this, I highly recommend seeking out the all inclusive spline of wires. Some of these are wires only and you place your poles, which are either a track-object, or are a scenery object, while others include the attached poles as well. In many cases, you'll have to use a combination of these systems in order to achieve what you want.

There are a few more things that need mentioning here. The wire systems in any case are splines and are put down like a road or fence except over the tracks, which means you'll end up with a gazillion spline points not only for the various segments of the catenary wire splines in addition to any track you have as well.

This system is installed secondary to the tracks as you are probably aware. This means that should you need to adjust tracks for any reason, the splines will have to be realigned afterwards once the track adjustments have been made.

So a few days ago I downloaded some Polish trains for my custom route but then I realized I can't seem to find any power cables and since most of the locos I downloaded are electric it just looks stupid to let them go on these tracks without any power cables overhead. Right now I found some german pylons with names I am unable to repeat but I can't seem to find any cable assets to connect these with. So yeah I need some help searching because rn I've spent like 30 minutes in the search filter already and can't find anything useful.

Try downloading from the DLS my <kuid:439337:100825> New England Coastal 1950s - TRS19 route. It is a fully catenary based route. It will show you what I did and how I did it for that route....

Bob

As Bob suggested, download a couple of routes to see how various authors have solved you problem. Try this one:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...w-TRS19-route-The-Rivercide-Electric-Railroad

For most of the length of the route I used poles that are track objects and the overhead wire that is a spline. It's a real pain in the butt to do -- getting the overhead wire to align correctly with the supporting poles. At the extreme ends I experimented with a spline that includes both poles and wire.

There must be an easier method? Yes?

Phil

As Bob suggested, download a couple of routes to see how various authors have solved you problem. Try this one:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...w-TRS19-route-The-Rivercide-Electric-Railroad

For most of the length of the route I used poles that are track objects and the overhead wire that is a spline. It's a real pain in the butt to do -- getting the overhead wire to align correctly with the supporting poles. At the extreme ends I experimented with a spline that includes both poles and wire.

There must be an easier method? Yes?

Phil

You did a great job with that too given the number of spline circles spinning or not is enough to drive us batty if not blind.

We wish there was an easier way.

Back