How to set up crossings

sccbailey

I decided to start creating my own routes recently so I created a test world that is just a large circle for me to test crossings and signals. First I decided to test a crossing that I downloaded from the DLS (specifically a Griswold rotating stop sign) and I positioned it on the tracks but I cannot figure out how to get it to activate when a train approaches. When I look up tutorials all I get is tutorials for mods that I don't have so can somebody tell me how to set it up in the base game. (KUID for the crossing I am trying to use <kuid2:95230:104883:1>)

Place the crossing down and rotate it so the tracks line up through the crossing between the gates.

Cut your track on either side of the crossing by first using the add spline point tool found under the advanced pulldown panel for tracks to add some spline points to create a segment.

In between the two spline points, delete that segment. This will create a gap.

Connect the two track pieces, now with the gap in the middle, to either end of your crossing.

Connect the road of your choice - hint: Jon's YARN roads will work great with these crossings.

====

There are tons of other crossings, the originals, by Clem, aka BNSF50. Look on the DLS, and built-in too, for Grade xing US. There are 2-lane, 2-track, 3T, 4T versions at fixed angles of 45 and 315 degrees. There are some with reversed with an R after their angle like 45R for example.

Now these crossings, while they work great at slow speeds, have some disadvantages.

1) They are at a fixed angle.

2) Work well for speeds up to about 45 mph due to the fixed, built-in script to close the crossing gates at too close a distance that causes the gates to close as the train approaches and sometimes a bit too late.

The fixed angles present a problem with roads that cross at angles other than 90, 45, and 315 degrees. For these crossings you need to use advanced methods such as the ATLS components, or the TRC. Once you get the hang of using these crossings, you can move on to the more advanced ones.

Last edited:
Back