Biggest shake-up in the UK's railways since privatisation in the mid-1990s

oknotsen

Holder of a broom
The UK government has announced the biggest shake-up in the UK's railways since privatisation in the mid-1990s.
See this video of BBC news:

The report starts at 1:30.

Why do I find that I'm feeling completely underwhelmed by this announcement. It's certainly taken them long enough to do something about the mess.

The planned reorganisation sounds relatively sensible to me. It's based on the Transport for London model, which in my experience works pretty well. However I am an outsider to the industry and some people I know who actually work on the railways are less impressed and have compared the proposed changes to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic...

The two main areas of interest to the average rail user will be if they can reduce delays and disruption - especially where it is associated with upgrades to the system - and what will happen to fares. The Transport Minister refused to rule out fare increases when interviewed this morning, but was keen to point out new flexible ticket options. Personally I'd like to see an Oyster style tap in-tap out system across the country where you automatically receive the cheapest suitable fare instead of having to trawl through various websites in search of good prices.

Not convinced that naming it "Great" is the brightest idea, I'm doubtful if it will make any difference if the TOCs remain the same.

They can start by rebuilding Northwich railway station:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-57157780

A historically important and listed building being part of the Cheshire Lines Committee infrastructure, I hope they, the future Great British Railway, eventually restore the building faithfully and don't turn it into a steel and glass fish tank of a building!

Rob.

They can start by rebuilding Northwich railway station:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-57157780

A historically important and listed building being part of the Cheshire Lines Committee infrastructure, I hope they, the future Great British Railway, eventually restore the building faithfully and don't turn it into a steel and glass fish tank of a building!

Rob.

Agreed!

At a guess it will probably boil down to how bad the damage is and what caused it and the cost.

The two main areas of interest to the average rail user will be if they can reduce delays and disruption - especially where it is associated with upgrades to the system - and what will happen to fares. The Transport Minister refused to rule out fare increases when interviewed this morning, but was keen to point out new flexible ticket options. Personally I'd like to see an Oyster style tap in-tap out system across the country where you automatically receive the cheapest suitable fare instead of having to trawl through various websites in search of good prices.

I totally agree. As a visitor a couple of years ago I was totally confused by the ticketing system. It seemed the only way to get a cheap rate was to book more than a week in advance. We took the GWR train from the CotsWolds to London and it was 44 pounds each for round trip tickets because we didn't want to chance going in the rain if we booked days before we went. We spent less than that while in Sydney riding the buses, trams, and even a long trip to the Blue Mountains Park. It was so nice not to worry about anything but keeping the card topped up.

William

Agreed!

At a guess it will probably boil down to how bad the damage is and what caused it and the cost.

Passed by this morning, the site is cordoned off and work has started. It looks like the ticket hall and office part of the building has more or less totally caved in taking some of the platform canopy with it. Looks like a major repair/rebuild needed. Manchester to Chester services are running but not stopping at Northwich.

Rob.

I totally agree. As a visitor a couple of years ago I was totally confused by the ticketing system. It seemed the only way to get a cheap rate was to book more than a week in advance. We took the GWR train from the CotsWolds to London and it was 44 pounds each for round trip tickets because we didn't want to chance going in the rain if we booked days before we went. We spent less than that while in Sydney riding the buses, trams, and even a long trip to the Blue Mountains Park. It was so nice not to worry about anything but keeping the card topped up.

William

The easy way is a Britrail pass, get a first class one for preference, they aren't too expensive for a month. The other way is look at the times of the trains. For intercity travel 11 am is usually about the cheapest again first class isn't bad. I was travelling back and forth between Liverpool and London last time I was over.

Cheerio John

In what sense is GBR different from the Strategic Rail Authority with Network Rail tacked on? The operation of services and ownership of rolling stock will continue in private hands, so the industry continues to suffer from lack of vertical integration. And does GBR take over the powers (and staff) of DfT rail group and the Office of Rail and Road? (if not, it will vanish into the same contested spaces as the SRA did, never to be seen again!)

Paul

In what sense is GBR different from the Strategic Rail Authority with Network Rail tacked on? The operation of services and ownership of rolling stock will continue in private hands, so the industry continues to suffer from lack of vertical integration. And does GBR take over the powers (and staff) of DfT rail group and the Office of Rail and Road? (if not, it will vanish into the same contested spaces as the SRA did, never to be seen again!)

Paul

Dunno, give us a clue please. I know one thing, I'm about to get horizontally integrated with my bed! Good night.

Rob.

Back