Ben Neal's new USRA Light Mikado.

shebashetan7

Hey guys,

So last night, me and some friends from our content creation group noticed that some new items created by Bdaneal popped up on the DLS. Apparently, he's gonna be issuing a fully remade version of his USRA Light Mikado model soon. Specifically the engine is the Georgia Railroad F class #323 we all know and love. What do you guys think of this news? Search on the DLS under the username bdaneal and you'll find he uploaded a whole bunch of stuff like bogies and mesh libraries associated with the Light 2-8-2 on the 17th.

I also found that he has a weathered version planned too - from the thumbnail it looks like an NYC H-6.

Last edited:
Yup, he sure did :)

image.png
2SgsNWh

I think it is awesome Ben is back to his creative skills! Welcome back Ben! Your assets are a gold standard here!

Indeed! I wonder when the actual USRA Light 2-8-2 loco and tender models will show up on the DLS, and if Ben plans to re-do the 4-8-2, 2-10-2 and 2-8-8-2 as well, plus heavy versions.

I believe he is updating and uploading his stuff to the DLS because other users without his permission were uploading his assets. I hope he does make new items but it may just be fixing errors and making them work in the new versions of Trainz.

William

Probably likely. I saw how Ben uploaded a fixed version of the infamous b2 invisible bogey that was causing people so much trouble. It says in the asset description he offers it to simplify the error correction process for his old content. His library for shared parts used by different variants of the USRA designs is probably his response to how people enjoying kitbashing his work. It says in the description for those assets he's going those way to simplify the reskinning process too.

Wonderful. If he increases the poly count and adds PBR, that will obsolete my USRA 2-8-2 I was working on.

Last edited:
Wonderful. If he increases the poly count and adds PBR, that will obsolete my USRA 2-8-2 I was working on.

Not PBR as he is using IM meshes. I think it's more a case of fixing errors and warnings to make things compatible rather than upgrading.

So I checked on the DLS and I saw that Ben has put up undec, T&P, Georgia, and NYC versions of the new USRA Light Mikado. But they aren't showing on my content manager yet.

Woohoo! Welcome back Ben! Hope he can fix the undecorated SD7/9 mesh to include the digit_1a,1b and 2a.texture files plus the digit_1a,1b and 2a.texture.txt files. That would stop me from having to fix them every time I wanted to download one :)

Ben has been quietly uploading a lot of content since last August. I don't know if that means he is back. But at least some fixes and different version of his existing models - I noticed he's uploading mesh libraries for some of them.

Bob Pearson

I'm getting a wierd bug whenever I attempt to open the any of the tga files in the reskin folder of any USRA light mikado. It will only show me any error message that reads the following:

Exception:

System.FormatException: unknown TGA image type
at PaintDotNet.Data.TgaFileType.OnLoadImpl(BufferedBinaryReader reader) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\PaintDotNet\Data\TgaFileType.cs:line 654
at PaintDotNet.Data.TgaFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\PaintDotNet\Data\TgaFileType.cs:line 630
at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\Data\FileType.cs:line 491
at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\Fundamentals\Functional\Func.cs:line 60

Diagnostics:

Application paint.net 5.0.12 (Stable 5.12.8735.38135)
Build Date Friday, December 1, 2023
Install type Appx
Name dotPDNLLC.paint.net
Publisher ID h55e3w7q8jbva

Language: en-US
DPI 1 (1.00x scale)
UI/Canvas GPU True
..............................................................................................................................................

I'm getting a wierd bug whenever I attempt to open the any of the tga files in the reskin folder of any USRA light mikado. It will only show me any error message that reads the following:

Exception:

System.FormatException: unknown TGA image type
at PaintDotNet.Data.TgaFileType.OnLoadImpl(BufferedBinaryReader reader) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\PaintDotNet\Data\TgaFileType.cs:line 654
at PaintDotNet.Data.TgaFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\PaintDotNet\Data\TgaFileType.cs:line 630
at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\Data\FileType.cs:line 491
at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\Fundamentals\Functional\Func.cs:line 60

Diagnostics:

Application paint.net 5.0.12 (Stable 5.12.8735.38135)
Build Date Friday, December 1, 2023
Install type Appx
Name dotPDNLLC.paint.net
Publisher ID h55e3w7q8jbva

Language: en-US
DPI 1 (1.00x scale)
UI/Canvas GPU True
..............................................................................................................................................
did you happen to clone the said object first before you opened the files up?

Back