Are there plans to update Surveyor?

CFL-Fan

Diesel Weasel
Hello everybody. I have been very much out of the loop as far as developments around Trainz go. But with a nice new computer and the latest version of Trainz installed I have been doing some work on routes the past few months. It's slow going and it feels like I am still using the same Surveyor from about 10 years ago. Are there plans to update this program in an upcoming version of Trainz?

I would appreciate a large number of small and relatively easy to implement additions, like "get and paste rotation" for objects. And with unseen degrees of detail being a possibility on modern hardware, it would be great to have more precise ways of moving around to position myself perfectly for a detailed edit. I have some more gripes with the program, but I figured it would be best to inquire if changes are imminent (and where to find any news about that if that's the case).

I don't know if any rework of surveyor is in the process, but something I've always wanted is native re-sizing of objects. So many games support this and it's always somewhat frustrating that Trainz doesn't.

Yes, a Surveyor 2.0 is in the works. Tony made a post about it a week or so ago. I don't know if an asset rescaling feature would be included (and I doubt it would work with all existing assets so it would have to be yet another feature for asset creators to master).

Last edited:
Oh wow, that is awesome news. I guess I will just be patiently waiting for a little longer then. Cheers all!

The one major new feature I would like to see in Surveyor would be the ability to copy between routes.

Bob

The one major new feature I would like to see in Surveyor would be the ability to copy between routes.

Bob
Amen to that!

And to add my own two cents in no particular order...
Configurable curve radius.
Variable embankment and cutting angle.
Much better system for doing tunnels.
Input field for object angle of rotation.
Rotate/flip complete routes.
There are various other notions which come to mind, but as a persistent route builder if not driver, those are kind of the main QOL improvements that would help my old eyes and hands.

15 years between them:

TRS2004 with TransDem 3D tiles
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Same route TRS2019
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

A few changes like view distance in above isn't too apparent but lighting - oh yea.

Best feature in both - TransDEM, Thanks Roland! :cool:

And Vern, Amen to all those.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
How about raising and lowering routes as well as flipping them? We've all downloaded or installed a route with plans to merge that route into another only to find out we need to build at least 20 baseboards or more between because of the height differences. The ability to just raise or lower a merging route to suit would be truly awesome.

Back