Moving Content

nsr687

Hello
Looking for help transferring content from one computer to another. I'm looking to transfer a route I started building in Trainz 12 which is on my older computer, to Trainz A New Era which is on my newer computer. I've done some searching on the web and can't find anything that makes sense. If I download anything new for TANE it currently goes into my PCs download folder as a CDP but I don't know how to make my previous route into a CDP to transfer to new PC. I'm not very tech savvy unfortunately. Any help is much appreciated Thanks.

Hello
Looking for help transferring content from one computer to another. I'm looking to transfer a route I started building in Trainz 12 which is on my older computer, to Trainz A New Era which is on my newer computer. I've done some searching on the web and can't find anything that makes sense. If I download anything new for TANE it currently goes into my PCs download folder as a CDP but I don't know how to make my previous route into a CDP to transfer to new PC. I'm not very tech savvy unfortunately. Any help is much appreciated Thanks.

Use the TS12 version of a Content Manager to save your route as a .CDP file, lets say to you desktop.

Copy the file to a thumb drive or something similar so you can move it to the new PC.

You can then, with your mouse, drag that file into the TANE Content Manager window and it will do it's magic. You will most likely need to download missing dependencies.

If you have made any other assets yourself, or clones, those will need to go through the process above. Don't try to copy DLS content, get it from the TANE side using the missing dependencies option from the Content Manager.

Thanks for the video and input but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I must be missing something. At the part where it was supposed to put them in a "pack" it took all of 20 seconds.
I think I'm missing something.

I'm not familiar with 12 but Tane and TRs19. You should be able to go into CM and highlight your route. Right click on it and a list should pop up which includes export to CDP. It should then ask you where you want to save it, so pick a folder (or pre-make a folder as I do) and save it there. Once done drag or copy the CDP to a thumb drive. Follow Cristopher's advice, but all you need to do now is drag the file off the thumbdrive or copy it and drop into Tane's CM. Alternatively (which I do) is drag it into a folder specifically made for such items, then go to CM, top left corner, click on file, select import content files (not folder) and browse to it and simply click on it.

If it gets confusing, let us know.

My process is simple.

Export the route first to a CDP and import that into TANE.

Once in TANE, there will be missing dependencies so I right-click on the route and choose download. This will download many of the missing dependencies as it possibly can. Once done, I then transfer over any custom content that isn't available on the DLS. The only stuff left then is built-in or payware assets that can't be transferred over. This has the added advantage of getting the latest versions of assets and avoids installing older, if not perhaps, faulty ones as well which will require repairing assets in order to make the route operable.

To be warned, there is a size limit to CDP files. I highly recommend keeping them well under 500 MB to be on the safe side. TS12 has a snit and will crash while handling large files.

Instead of loading up the CDPs on thumb drives, which are very slow, I would use either a USB hard drive, or a network share. In this case, a network share is indispensable for transferring large amounts of data between machines. In fact I have multiple machines with shares that I connect to many times during the day for many tasks.

Hello

Sorry for the late response as I have not much time recently to work on this topic. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but apparently I can't "pack" up my route. I have not tried transferring single items yet but when I get a minute I will. Thanks to all who have sent me help.

Hello

Sorry for the late response as I have not much time recently to work on this topic. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but apparently I can't "pack" up my route. I have not tried transferring single items yet but when I get a minute I will. Thanks to all who have sent me help.

This is how I did it;

Only save the 'route' in the .CDP, do not try to save each asset with the route. When the route is transferred it may say 'missing dependencies' in the newer version, right click and list them and download all available. A lot of older and built-in assets can not be moved via a .CDP file. If you have related sessions, move each one separately, then move them over, list missing dependencies, etc..

Hello to all,
Have a new question and was wondering if anyone can help. It seems in Trainz ANE I can't select a certain commodity for cars. For example when I tell a tank car to only load diesel fuel, then either send it through a portal to be loaded or hit instant load, it loads the default commodity, which I believe happened to be corn oil. Anyone else have this problem? I've tried random cars from my collection and seems to all do the same. Is there a minor change i need to make. I never had this issue with Trainz 12 or previous.

Thanks for any and all help.

Hello to all,
Have a new question and was wondering if anyone can help. It seems in Trainz ANE I can't select a certain commodity for cars. For example when I tell a tank car to only load diesel fuel, then either send it through a portal to be loaded or hit instant load, it loads the default commodity, which I believe happened to be corn oil. Anyone else have this problem? I've tried random cars from my collection and seems to all do the same. Is there a minor change i need to make. I never had this issue with Trainz 12 or previous.

Thanks for any and all help.

This is a known issue and is resolved by using this script instead of the regular Instant Load command.

<kuid2:368725:60011:2> InstantLoad with a product from a queue specified by the user

Back