The lost features in TRS19

2004-2019 Surveyor Ctrl-F opens the Find dialog,
has: wide borders, resizable, floating, remembers location, X to close

2019 Surveyor Ctrl-Shift-F opens a combo Filter/Location bookmarks/Picklist
has: narrow borders, not resizable, fixed location, no X-to close
Could be handy to have it floating, or as a tab on the right side right under the trains selection
reduces mouse movement (and can be opened by mouse then)

The moment people start customizing (keyboard shortcuts) often the default was not well chosen.
not sure if P(picklist) or plain F, are used in Surveyor.

The 10 location bookmarks I loved in the older top menu bar (another Lost feature then)

What I dislike in TS2019 is the cycling through driver mode options rather than as previously, be able to combine manual driver mode with access to the commands. For instance, I used to be able to manually drive a coal train to a siding then click a command such as Instant unload and then continue driving the loco. Now I have to stop the train, cycle through to Ai then select the command. To continue driving I have to cycle yet again to manual. It was so convenient before. I am tempted to think whoever changed this never actually operated Trainz! For me this is a step backwards, so much so that for some of my routes I have gone back to driving them in TANE! I also have found that creating a route in TANE is slicker with the icons than the menu options or combined 3 key presses. I wonder if someone is really listening to all the comments!

What I dislike in TS2019 is the cycling through driver mode options rather than as previously, be able to combine manual driver mode with access to the commands. For instance, I used to be able to manually drive a coal train to a siding then click a command such as Instant unload and then continue driving the loco. Now I have to stop the train, cycle through to Ai then select the command. To continue driving I have to cycle yet again to manual. It was so convenient before. I am tempted to think whoever changed this never actually operated Trainz! For me this is a step backwards, so much so that for some of my routes I have gone back to driving them in TANE! I also have found that creating a route in TANE is slicker with the icons than the menu options or combined 3 key presses. I wonder if someone is really listening to all the comments!

Yup. Not using the product is my hunch.

Also why stop the motion of the train when switching controls? In the past, I would switch modes from AI driving to manual driving on the fly as I saw fit such as navigating a complex yard where I'd let the AI do the driving, but out on the open road I'd take over all without stopping.

If that is the case than the days when the Brew Crew was active have truly gone. Even if they were not in there actively playing every day, they appeared to have had first hand knowledge about how the game was actually played and not just a theoretical perspective. What happens when bean counters rule the tracks.

Good thing hard-disk space is not at a premium anymore so I still have older versions installed and so can pick and choose depending what feature I need the most at any one time.

Also why stop the motion of the train when switching controls? In the past, I would switch modes from AI driving to manual driving on the fly as I saw fit such as navigating a complex yard where I'd let the AI do the driving, but out on the open road I'd take over all without stopping.
True on all of the above. However, It is rather easy now to select the driver of your loco in the new driver list at the left with all these faces. Problem I notice is that when this list is open, you can't do anything, such as play a horn or change views. At the end of the day we lose somethings and get new ones, but it is a little bit more pleasant as it was in Tane (my perception). Are they reading all this? Maybe, but for sure they say little about it.

Problem I notice is that when this list is open, you can't do anything, such as play a horn or change views.

Many of these problems I tried to solve in my Set-Driver-Condition-Rule, give it a try.

I've just been playing about with getting some old content into TS19, and finding it a right pain getting content files into CM.

Drag and drop has gone.
CM no longer defaults to my last search in either CM or the file tree.
Can no longer view the config without opening it.
Delete is now ctrl+delete

It feels like a lot more mouse movements and clicks are required to get things done.

Chris.

hi Chris,
drag and drop to CM works here, use it every day
you are right the interface is click/move intensive
designing interfaces is not a hobby , it's a profession

I miss the old TRS2012 derailments, it was always fun to go around a corner going fast or hit the end of the track which makes the train explode everywhere instead of just stopping.

If that is the case than the days when the Brew Crew was active have truly gone. Even if they were not in there actively playing every day, they appeared to have had first hand knowledge about how the game was actually played and not just a theoretical perspective. What happens when bean counters rule the tracks.

Good thing hard-disk space is not at a premium anymore so I still have older versions installed and so can pick and choose depending what feature I need the most at any one time.

Same here, Martin. I too still have the older versions installed as well.

We were told back when TANE was coming out by their lead programmer that he doesn't use the product at all. Herein is the answer why things are the way they are. As you noted, the Brew Crew used to use the product because Greg Lane required the crew to setup a test route that they could use to try out new features. The route didn't have to be pretty, but it was something to use and test. This made a world of difference for us back then and if that practice was continued today, we would have had a much better product I think.

True on all of the above. However, It is rather easy now to select the driver of your loco in the new driver list at the left with all these faces. Problem I notice is that when this list is open, you can't do anything, such as play a horn or change views. At the end of the day we lose somethings and get new ones, but it is a little bit more pleasant as it was in Tane (my perception). Are they reading all this? Maybe, but for sure they say little about it.

I agree having the list of ugly mugs helpful, but that unclickable issue is annoying. This I found out to be a mouse-focus grab by that window. When the window is open, it becomes the focus even if the other cab is active at the same time. I find that if I open the window then click back on the cab underneath, or the loco if I'm external, the horn and controls still work.

hi Chris,
drag and drop to CM works here, use it every day
you are right the interface is click/move intensive
designing interfaces is not a hobby , it's a profession

I stand corrected, drag and drop works ok on the later version.
Chris.

i didn't get along with tane. rotating a merge? that is one thing i would like to see. that would become monumental with the merging of routes.

I have gone back to TANE. Just can't get on with TRS19 at this stage, TS12 is perhaps where I am going back to.

Oh dear! I uninstalled TANE as soon as I upgraded to TRS19 Platinum (and more recently to Trainz Plus) and have never regretted the change. As for TS12, well the past is dead and buried and will remain so.

My opinions

Back