Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSD v's Conventional HDD

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

At this point I don't think anyone knows how long a SSD will last. There is a theoretical limit to the number of times that you can write to them but there isn't enough data to prove that number. It may be like the old 5 1/4 inch floppies. They were made as double sided and double density but if one side failed testing then they became single sided single density.

William

Old fashioned spinning drives are still (In my opinion) still more reliable as the technology is mature.
    SSD drives have come a long way and I have changed all my drives (6) to them over the past 3 years.

However, a couple of tips:
    - BACKUP/COPY important data frequently if it changes a lot, or less frequently if not so volatile, but BACKUP.
    - If you lose a 960GB (1 Terabyte drive unformatted) you have lost a lot of data.
    - No need to defragment an SSD as the access time is the same for each block of data and Windows will likely warn you if you try.

On the bright side, SSDs are becoming more reliable year after year and will eventually become as reliable as the spinning drives but there
    will be a newer drive technology along before then that is larger and faster and the game starts anew....

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

And test your backups, I've seen a lot of server admins cry when their backup set was corrupt.

William

Thanks for the tips. I have plenty (about 15B) of external drives for backup and some content, but I would like to get a BIG (~4TB) internal drive for TRAINZ and for MSFS2020. I don't think the external USB blue connections perform as well as internal.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.