prebuild command seems to hang

wedgef5

Lifelong KCS Fan
I have just gotten SP3, and I'm having an issue where the TrainzUtil 'prebuild' command seems to be hanging. I've tried it twice now, and each time it stopped at a different point. The first time, I let it sit for more than 10 minutes with no progress, and now on the 2nd attempt it's been stuck for nearly 10 minutes. This is far longer than a prebuild has ever taken on my system before, so I'm thinking perhaps something is wrong. I did a database rebuild between the two attempts.

Does anyone know what might be going on or have any suggestions?

Matt

Hi Matt,
often I solve problems by asking myself is it actually needed/a problem?
Never used Trainzutil in my life, never needed it.
As i understand it, trainz does the caching/prebuilding automatic (could be wrong),
meaning after you played a route a few times and use it often it will be precached and faster.
the more content you have the longer a task will take.
greetings GM

wedgef5 - Seems that you might have a problem asset (or two) that is resulting in these time-outs during TrainzUtil.exe ops.
Suggest check for 'Faulty' assets in Content Manager and resolving any found before attempting to run prebuild again.
As G.M. points out, it isn't strictly necessary, especially with official release TRS19 builds, as it is mostly the beta builds that don't have the assets already pre-cached by the Devs.
I'd also recommend running a full database repair (i.e. Hold the Ctrl key down whilst left-clicking on the Developer Menu command, 'Rebuild Database' in Launcher.)
Would not be surprised for a repeat of the behaviour you've described above for the Prebuild command, but at least the EDBR has the tools to resolve these issues and should complete.
Warning! EDBRs and some TrainzUtil commands can take a long time to complete, especially if you have a very large number of routes/ sessions in your UserData folder.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I use the prebuild command, as I do participate in beta testing from time to time, and it has proven useful.

I checked for faulty assets, and that yielded some interesting results. I had several (20 perhaps) assets showing with missing dependencies. A couple of those were on routes that I never use, so I uninstalled those. The remaining faulty assets also say "Missing dependencies", but when I "Show Errors and Warnings", there are none. I'm not sure what to do with those.

I then did an EDBR, which completed. I am now trying to run prebuild --nofail (as suggested), and it is doing nothing at all. All I got in the output was "TrainzUtil prebuild --nofail" and "prebuild "--nofail"". Nothing else. It still says it's running, and has been for close to 15 minutes with no additional output, which leads me to believe something is wrong.

Do TainzUtil commands log additional output (e.g. errors) anywhere that I can look at, and possibly see what is going wrong?

Thanks again for the input!

Matt

OK...this is weird. On a whim, I decided to try running "TrainzUtil.exe prebuild" from a command prompt (without --nofail). While it did report some errors (which I think it always has on my installation), it ran to completion.

Yay?

Matt

Back