Thread: Night lighting

Hybrid View

Default Night lighting

Any possible way of getting proper working night lights? I mean yard lights that project light on objects like the headlights do? Now that TRS19 is working so great I have found myself running at night but the flood lighting is terrible.

Point lighting has been on the wishlist for years, maybe TRS2023 along with a new skybox and environmental fog. I'm very much looking forward to the next ice age in Hell.

Graeme

Yup - ray tracing in Trainz is a much-yearned-for rendering technique, that will probably arrive in the next-generation iteration of our beloved railroad simulator.
    Tony_Hilliam has suggested in previous posts a year or so ago that it is possibly on the cards/ being considered.
    Hopefully, by then, we will have access to affordable RTX cards from all major video graphics cards producers.
    It is certainly the way many games are heading these days.
    Meanwhile, I rejoice in the fact that we now enjoy fairly credible locomotive headlamp illumination effects. It took many years for that to come to fruition, so I guess patience does have its rewards!

United States of America, Colorado, Westminster

I have stumbled into a strange Lighting issue!
    I placed a Drivable Police Car on the Track and the Circling Red and Blue Lights along with the White Strobe effects look very poorly as they animated reflecting off the ground in Surveyor, I can see the jagged Alpha Channels as they were not semi Transparent as designed to be. Typical of all Night Lights, Street Light, Flood Lights etc.

The Strange thing that I found was when I went into the Driver Mode, then cab View, and was looking out the police Car Windows the Strobes, Red, and Blue flashing Lights looked Beautiful with the correct Semi Transparencies. I was amazed on how great the Lights looked as they were reflected off the Ground. So I got out of the Police car with the arrow Buttons and moved to the side of the Car and they still had the Beautiful Soft Transparent look. Then I exit the cab View and returned to the outside World and they returned to the poor look again.

Something to do with Surveyor not functioning correctly with the Primary & Alpha Textures. Although all the outside Street Lamps did not improve when I was in the Driver Cab View.
    I sincerely Hope that the Developers will pick up on this and maybe a easy Patch for the next Update for the Surveyor 2 that is scheduled.
    Last edited by jjeff1955; May 8th, 2021 at 01:38 AM.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by jjeff1955 View Post
    I have stumbled into a strange Lighting issue!
    I placed a Drivable Police Car on the Track and the Circling Red and Blue Lights along with the White Strobe effects look very poorly as they animated reflecting off the ground in Surveyor, I can see the jagged Alpha Channels as they were not semi Transparent as designed to be. Typical of all Night Lights, Street Light, Flood Lights etc.

The Strange thing that I found was when I went into the Driver Mode, then cab View, and was looking out the police Car Windows the Strobes, Red, and Blue flashing Lights looked Beautiful with the correct Semi Transparencies. I was amazed on how great the Lights looked as they were reflected off the Ground. So I got out of the Police car with the arrow Buttons and moved to the side of the Car and they still had the Beautiful Soft Transparent look. Then I exit the cab View and returned to the outside World and they returned to the poor look again.

Something to do with Surveyor not functioning correctly with the Primary & Alpha Textures. Although all the outside Street Lamps did not improve when I was in the Driver Cab View.
    I sincerely Hope that the Developers will pick up on this and maybe a easy Patch for the next Update for the Surveyor 2 that is scheduled.
    I recommend you write this up in a bug report and submit it to QA.

Trainz Bug Report (typeform.com)
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

I think it is going to have to bubble to the top of the user surveys. There are so many things wanted by so many people that this doesn't end up getting high enough on the priority list. I do agree with you though. Surely with ray-tracing supported in the new graphics cards N3V doesn't want to fall so far behind the times they can't even do night lighting.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.