How to clone custom car to keep desired running number?

Hi, sometimes I needed a car with ARN to keep its running number because I used some car card forwarding system (car cards & waybills, etc.). In T:ANE it could be provided by clone the particular car, then open it in CMP, and finally set the same number "from" and "to". I tried the same in TRS19 with "Custom 40' Boxcar - #8". It is a built-in asset used for example in Kickstarter County II map.

I have created a clone of this car and then edited a config file. I have found this section:

vehicle-running-numbers
{
running-numbers "252250-253999"
}

I changed it to:

vehicle-running-numbers
{
running-numbers "252444-252444"
}

I saved it as "Custom 40' Boxcar - #8 (clone)".

But when I did it, I got a lot of errors, for example:

VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'boxcar_alpha_numbers/alphanumber_0.texture'.
VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'boxcar_alpha_numbers/alphanumber_2.texture'.
VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'boxcar_mesh/digit_1.texture'.
VE98: The running number font file 'boxcar_alpha_numbers/alphanumber_0.texture.txt' could not be found.

Those are few examples, I got about 30 messages such like this. Why so many errors? I just changed running numbers as I did it in TS12! Does anybody know the way how to force TRS19 to keep desired number.

BTW of course I tried "Edit trains" option in Driver mode and set the desired number manually. I was OK, but for very short time. After few minutes the number was changed to stupid default 123456. The same happened with other custom cars I tried...

Just a thought.. Second number set is not a 'range', they are both the same number.

vehicle-running-numbers
{
running-numbers "252250-253999"
}

I changed it to:

vehicle-running-numbers
{
running-numbers "252444-252444"
}

vince_black, this is a common problem with older assets that used the old .texture format. There is a free app by PevSoft called "PEVSoft Images2TGA". Once installed, you click on the texture files and it will open them, then click "save as" and it will save a .tga and .texture.txt file. THis will resolve these errors.

Just do not use a built-in box car, use one from the DLS, I have a lot you can use.

I needed specific allowed commodity used in Kickstarter County (i.e. hardware, palletised goods, etc.) which those cars can carry. I know I can add another commodity to non-built-in car, but sometimes those commodities look strange in those cars, or they are not visible at all.

But this is not that case, your boxcars are very nice and I downloaded few of them. To add another lading commodity seems OK, because doors are not opening, so everything looks good.

Last edited:
Hi Vince,
made an example for you
https://www.mediafire.com/file/qjpd22hc7itgfdg/Custom_40%27_Boxcar_-_%239.cdp/file
in surveyor its Custom boxcar 40" #9
do open for edit, then you can study it
greetings GM

Thank you! So if I understood it well--in config file you just changed this section:

vehicle-running-numbers
{
running-numbers "252444-252445"
}

I tried it too because I thought it could be problem with the same numbers, but I also got a lot of error messages... But this is not final solution, I would have to do more...

I also noticed you removed folder "boxcar_mesh", and from folder "boxcar_art" you removed file boxcar_logo.texture. Probably the most important thing is that you created a .tga file for each texture file in "boxcar_alpha_numbers" folder. So, for example, built-in car has only alphanumber_0.texture, but you created two files instead of the old one--alphanumber_0.tga and alphanumber_0.texture.txt. And it repeats for all 9 texture files. Right? So this is probably what also recommended Forester1...

Last edited:
Did you really studied it Vince?
did way more than that, made a mesh-asset link (saves you 15mb hd space)
and unpacked the running number textures
greetings GM

Back