Thread: Tips for Route Building?

Default Tips for Route Building?

Hello! this is my first post on the forums so hang with me here

Do you guys have any tips for building on routes?

I like building routes, and am looking to improve my skills!

Default uh oh

Quote Originally Posted by finch_the_small View Post
    Hello! this is my first post on the forums so hang with me here

Do you guys have any tips for building on routes?

I like building routes, and am looking to improve my skills!
    Update: realized i shouldn't be posting this here, please ignore!!

Don't worry. The mods will move this thread into the correct category. Sometimes I'm unsure as to if the category I'm posting in is the right one so I sometimes leave a note at the top saying something like "Mods please move if this is the wrong category." etc.
    Welcome to the forums.

my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0kO-ivUrfsjC3Ho1PMo5Pw

Blog Entries

While we're waiting for this to be moved.

Start small. The #1 mistake is attempting to build a route too big and then becoming disappointed, frustrated and disillusioned with the whole thing. Not saying model RR level, those are a whole other skill, but a small route that doesn't over tax your skills. Learn how to find just the right object for each location in your map so it looks good. Figure out how to place tracks and all of their associated objects to make a route that works.

Until you're comfortable, don't worry about ground elevation. Work in a flat country first.

Depending on how powerful your computer is, avoid the temptation to add every possible object in a small area. Baseboards are cheap, add a few and space out the objects, your GPU will thank you.

And most important, have fun.
    Last edited by martinvk; May 4th, 2021 at 10:35 AM.

70337:
    TRS19 Platinum, build 110491 SP2, Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by martinvk View Post
    While we're waiting for this to be moved.

Start small. The #1 mistake is attempting to build a route too big and then becoming disappointed, frustrated and disillusioned with the whole thing. Not saying model RR level, those are a whole other skill, but a small route that doesn't over tax your skills. Learn how to find just the right object for each location in your map so it looks good. Figure out how to place tracks and all of their associated objects to make a route that works.

Until you're comfortable, don't worry about ground elevation. Work in a flat country first.

Depending on how powerful your computer is, avoid the temptation to add every possible object in a small area. Baseboards are cheap, add a few and space out the objects, your GPU will thank you.

And most important, have fun.
    ooh thanks.

so far i've been building free-lance routes that i make up as i go, so they get bigger & bigger naturally, so building too big isn't too much of a problem

but i'll keep it in mind when i do move to more planned routes!

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Beaver

I learned by looking at other guys/gals routes to get ideas.
    TRS19+ 111951 - T:ANE 105957
    i7 6700K @ 4.0 ghrtz, nVidia 970
    I don't have a PhD, I have a DD214 - Freedom carries sacrifice

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

What the others have said plus work out a plan for your route. I come up with a backstory and stick to it so my route evolved around that. This helped keep the asset count down and my route "realistic" and plausible.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    I come up with a backstory and stick to it so my route evolved around that.
    This is a goodie ^^

I also agree with what others have mentioned as well. Another little thing I like to add is little scenes viewable from the track and even a bit deeper into the route (when exploring) so that one may wonder what is/why something is going on: eg wondering why a small group of children are running then seeing the reason - some geese are chasing them. Just things to try and make the route come to 'life'.
    "Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day."

Blog Entries

Further on the amount of objects, decide early on how you want to see your route. Overhead drone or roaming; trackside cameras or only from a cabview. Depending on what you decide, you may need more or fewer objects.Remember just because you can't see them at the moment, Trainz still has to constantly recalculate their properties and be ready to display them at a moments notice

70337:
    TRS19 Platinum, build 110491 SP2, Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    What the others have said plus work out a plan for your route. I come up with a backstory and stick to it so my route evolved around that. This helped keep the asset count down and my route "realistic" and plausible.
    ooh yeah. this is a good tip, i'll be thinking about this, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ARhian7 View Post
    This is a goodie ^^

I also agree with what others have mentioned as well. Another little thing I like to add is little scenes viewable from the track and even a bit deeper into the route (when exploring) so that one may wonder what is/why something is going on: eg wondering why a small group of children are running then seeing the reason - some geese are chasing them. Just things to try and make the route come to 'life'.
    this one is good

(bit unrelated but) i've actually wanted to add sunbathing turtles on rocks & frogs on lilypads & stuff like that onto my route, although i don't think there's any good assets for those

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by finch_the_small View Post
    this one is good

(bit unrelated but) i've actually wanted to add sunbathing turtles on rocks & frogs on lilypads & stuff like that onto my route, although i don't think there's any good assets for those
    As a one-off, it would add a point of interest but you need to consider the impact it will have on the smooth running of your route. It is very easy to add one more object. Remember that straw on the camel? Then, will anyone see it? If it's supposed to be an Easter Egg, place it in a little used corner, far from other objects and the impact will be less.

Adding these little touches is fun and makes a route more interesting so don't be discouraged, just do it carefully.

70337:

Pretty sure I've seen some Lilly pads.......

<kuid:381430:1677> Nymphaea Water Lily Small
    <kuid2:323887:21226:1> plante water lily
    <kuid:381430:1692> Nymphaea Water Lily Large
    Malc

I am surprised MSGSapper hasn't created those, he has done quite a bit of wildlife scenery. But as Martinvk says, you probably want some low poly scenery.
    Last edited by Forester1; May 5th, 2021 at 01:20 PM.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Speaking of polys...

Avoid these assets:

<kuid2:58843:22002:1> reeds2
    <kuid2:58843:22003:2> reeds3

Both are built-in, but are extremely overbuilt and will suck the air and life out of your video card. Areas filled with these two particular assets will cause an instant slideshow.

Be warned.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641