Tips for Route Building?

finch_the_small

Hello! this is my first post on the forums so hang with me here :)

Do you guys have any tips for building on routes?

I like building routes, and am looking to improve my skills!

Don't worry. The mods will move this thread into the correct category. Sometimes I'm unsure as to if the category I'm posting in is the right one so I sometimes leave a note at the top saying something like "Mods please move if this is the wrong category." etc.
Welcome to the forums.

While we're waiting for this to be moved.

Start small. The #1 mistake is attempting to build a route too big and then becoming disappointed, frustrated and disillusioned with the whole thing. Not saying model RR level, those are a whole other skill, but a small route that doesn't over tax your skills. Learn how to find just the right object for each location in your map so it looks good. Figure out how to place tracks and all of their associated objects to make a route that works.

Until you're comfortable, don't worry about ground elevation. Work in a flat country first.

Depending on how powerful your computer is, avoid the temptation to add every possible object in a small area. Baseboards are cheap, add a few and space out the objects, your GPU will thank you.

And most important, have fun.

Last edited:
While we're waiting for this to be moved.

Start small. The #1 mistake is attempting to build a route too big and then becoming disappointed, frustrated and disillusioned with the whole thing. Not saying model RR level, those are a whole other skill, but a small route that doesn't over tax your skills. Learn how to find just the right object for each location in your map so it looks good. Figure out how to place tracks and all of their associated objects to make a route that works.

Until you're comfortable, don't worry about ground elevation. Work in a flat country first.

Depending on how powerful your computer is, avoid the temptation to add every possible object in a small area. Baseboards are cheap, add a few and space out the objects, your GPU will thank you.

And most important, have fun.
ooh thanks.

so far i've been building free-lance routes that i make up as i go, so they get bigger & bigger naturally, so building too big isn't too much of a problem

but i'll keep it in mind when i do move to more planned routes! :)

I looked at my own Routes and made most of them that were free then that were not purchased.

RJ Artim

Last edited:
What the others have said plus work out a plan for your route. I come up with a backstory and stick to it so my route evolved around that. This helped keep the asset count down and my route "realistic" and plausible.

I come up with a backstory and stick to it so my route evolved around that.
This is a goodie ^^

I also agree with what others have mentioned as well. Another little thing I like to add is little scenes viewable from the track and even a bit deeper into the route (when exploring) so that one may wonder what is/why something is going on: eg wondering why a small group of children are running then seeing the reason - some geese are chasing them. Just things to try and make the route come to 'life'.

Further on the amount of objects, decide early on how you want to see your route. Overhead drone or roaming; trackside cameras or only from a cabview. Depending on what you decide, you may need more or fewer objects.Remember just because you can't see them at the moment, Trainz still has to constantly recalculate their properties and be ready to display them at a moments notice

What the others have said plus work out a plan for your route. I come up with a backstory and stick to it so my route evolved around that. This helped keep the asset count down and my route "realistic" and plausible.

ooh yeah. this is a good tip, i'll be thinking about this, thanks!

This is a goodie ^^

I also agree with what others have mentioned as well. Another little thing I like to add is little scenes viewable from the track and even a bit deeper into the route (when exploring) so that one may wonder what is/why something is going on: eg wondering why a small group of children are running then seeing the reason - some geese are chasing them. Just things to try and make the route come to 'life'.

this one is good

(bit unrelated but) i've actually wanted to add sunbathing turtles on rocks & frogs on lilypads & stuff like that onto my route, although i don't think there's any good assets for those

this one is good

(bit unrelated but) i've actually wanted to add sunbathing turtles on rocks & frogs on lilypads & stuff like that onto my route, although i don't think there's any good assets for those

As a one-off, it would add a point of interest but you need to consider the impact it will have on the smooth running of your route. It is very easy to add one more object. Remember that straw on the camel? Then, will anyone see it? If it's supposed to be an Easter Egg, place it in a little used corner, far from other objects and the impact will be less.

Adding these little touches is fun and makes a route more interesting so don't be discouraged, just do it carefully.

Pretty sure I've seen some Lilly pads.......

<kuid:381430:1677> Nymphaea Water Lily Small
<kuid2:323887:21226:1> plante water lily
<kuid:381430:1692> Nymphaea Water Lily Large

I am surprised MSGSapper hasn't created those, he has done quite a bit of wildlife scenery. But as Martinvk says, you probably want some low poly scenery.

Last edited:
Speaking of polys...

Avoid these assets:

<kuid2:58843:22002:1> reeds2
<kuid2:58843:22003:2> reeds3

Both are built-in, but are extremely overbuilt and will suck the air and life out of your video card. Areas filled with these two particular assets will cause an instant slideshow.

Be warned.

Back