Thread: RAM Low Speed v's High speed and Latency

Default RAM Low Speed v's High speed and Latency

I'v been looking at a new PC build but the question has come down to type of Ram
    The Ram I've been looking at is 32gb 3600MHz ( 2 x 16 ) with a CL16 or CL18
    Now see as most ram is defaulted to 2133MHz and I'm not interested in playing with the bios to increase ram speed
    Is the solution to install 32gb 2133MHz at CL13
    Am I right in assuming that If I use 32gb 2133MHz at CL13 it would be better than the 3066MHz due to the lower latency?
    CFI A1120 Pharaoh Evo
    Intel Core I7 8700k
    Win10 64bit
    ASRock Fatility Z370 Gaming K6
    Nvidia GTX 1080ti 32gb 3200

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by big_b View Post
    I'v been looking at a new PC build but the question has come down to type of Ram
    The Ram I've been looking at is 32gb 3600MHz ( 2 x 16 ) with a CL16 or CL18
    Now see as most ram is defaulted to 2133MHz and I'm not interested in playing with the bios to increase ram speed
    Is the solution to install 32gb 2133MHz at CL13
    Am I right in assuming that If I use 32gb 2133MHz at CL13 it would be better than the 3066MHz due to the lower latency?
    I'm no expert, but have had a home computer(s) since 1979. You would probably not be able to perceive any difference in performance.

However, in case you expect to further upgrade your system, the only significant factor would be $$. If you can afford it, go with the faster RAM so you don't have to factor that in later.

:B~)

Together in Trainzing!

I read an article recently (possibly Techradar) which suggested for most applications including gaming the difference from a users perspective is negligible. In respect of Trainz you are likely better off putting any monies saved into a graphic card. Peter

From a practical point of view I don't think you'll notice the difference but slower will probably run cooler which means more reliable in the world of computers.

Cheerio John

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
    From a practical point of view I don't think you'll notice the difference but slower will probably run cooler which means more reliable in the world of computers.

Cheerio John
    Agreed other than for benchmarking, you won't see a lot of difference.

To run at anything other than the default which is dependent on the CPU, you would need the XMP profile to be enabled in the bios corresponding to it's rated speed.

May help: https://www.pcgamer.com/what-are-xmp...do-i-use-them/
    Malc