Bin -- Mine, Tipple, etc?

boleyd

Tearing into E. Kentucky again and saw something I missed years ago. BINs labeling mines.
Are BINS a local name for a mine or are they just localized words?
;

Not sure where you are seeing this "BINS labeling mines" or what that means.

Anything to do with asset names? After getting '19 a couple of years ago I thought there was some secret "code" for things that I just didn't understand. Or that I was stupid (well, might be) and wasn't getting the abbreviations, or whatever the "code" was. Then one day it hit me that a lot of assets carry the initials or part of name of the creator. For example, I wondered what SAP assets were all about. I looked and looked for SAP in WIKI, etc. Then I got smart and looked at the creator's name "MSGSapper" - SAP

Last edited:
BINS is used in East Kentucky route as a mine tipple label, i.g. Jenny Bins.

Here is a possible illustration of a Bin:

https://www.parkcity.org/home/showdocument?id=4351 Photos at the end explain.

Coal is rolled out of the mine and dropped into a Bin below the shaft.

When the Bin is full the coal drops into a "vehicle" below the Bin
to haul it to the customer..My guess of the operation's sequence.

The Bin title stuck through the ages.

Last edited:
One of the interesting things that struck me about coal loading on the Clinchfield route in TSW2, is that the railway and many of the loaders are remote from the mines. The coal is actually trucked in to the tipple where it is then loaded into the wagons. A useful mechanic for building a route as it means you can have coal industry without necessarily having to create the complex working environment of a coal mine.

Back