phantom roads and tracks

martinvk

since 10 Aug 2002
I used TransDEM to create a map and populate it with roads and tracks in order to get the basic layout made. Now I'm in and editing those splines. The majority behave normally but there are two cases that are odd.

At some intersections where a road crosses a track, the two splines are attached to a common spline circle. Have to go in and split [Q] from both the track pallet [F4] and the objects pallet [F3] to separate them. Is this a bug caused by TransDEM that can join the two spline types?

In a few cases, when I delete a road spline, a spline circle is left behind that is not visibly connected to anything. If I again apply split [Q] a road spline will appear but can't be deleted unless I stretch the spline out a long distance. Then it can be deleted

The same thing with tracks. Only after stretching them can they be deleted.

Aside from the length of the spline, what changes that allows a long spline to be deleted and not the short one?

I see no way TransDem has anything to do with this, it's basically maps and nothing physical. Is anything physical in this world? lol. Another way to delete something that doesn't want to be deleted is to copy a blank area then paste that over the problem, and it should get deleted. As for roads linking to track, that should be impossible. Presumably you've done an extended DBR given these problems?

An EDBR is in progress, don't know if it will help but, hey, let's see.
Pasting s blank area might work but it is an urban area with many roads near the tracks so getting the problems in an open area will be a challenge. I also thought that object splines and track splines were two completely different things that couldn't join but TransDEM was able to do it in multiple places. Don't know how it places and identifies the splines it places but for some reason the results in Trainz are occasional chimeras.

I really don't get that. TransDEM has nothing to do with placing track, it uses google earth to create the topography before you do anything. It has nothing to do with laying track or roads apart from having painted the locations if you selected to do so when creating the map. So like I save, this has me confused!

TransDEM can place road and track splines, based on the vector maps you can create manually or get from other sources like Open street Maps. Of course they have to be extensively edited which is where I'm having some issues because of strange connections between roads and tracks in some places. Also 60-80% of the splines joints have to be removed since way too many are used.
splines from TransDEM.jpg

Back