Noise pollution!

Ghost42

My pc has its fan(s) running full blast with trs19.
In my 80th year I am not going to suddenly be a computer wizard. :)
setup is an I5 quad core running at 3g,
16 gig memory,
GTX970 4gig.

Running just the browser:
cpu 3%
gpu 1%
memory 35%

Start TRS19:
cpu 34%
gpu 100%
memory 40%

Run TRS19:
cpu 64%
gpu 100%
memory 45%
At Pause GPU 100% ??

GPU shows 12gig - 8 gig shared.

There is a weakness somewhere, any ideas?
Thanks.

ps this is the only program #I have that taxes the machine.

Ghost42 - Those utilisation measurements are fairly normal - and can be expected - given your system spec.
Better cooling would certainly help to bring the noise levels down and allow the key components to live longer, healthier lives: - i.e. Suggest add an extra case fan if possible and upgrade the CPU cooler (particularly if the current one is the standard Intel CPU cooler that came with the i5 chip!) together with new thermal paste and a thorough clean-out of dust and hair from the case.
The GPU is doing what it is supposed to do when running at 100% whilst running TRS19 in 3D gaming mode. Its fans will often be running flat out to reduce the thermal loads too. (Fan curves can be adjusted using the software utilities provided by the manufacturer to manage heat and noise levels and even customised for specific tasks and computer apps/ games).
TRS19 is demanding - particularly on the graphics processing unit, so any prospective upgrade of your system should give priority to your choice of GPU replacement. (Not that I'm suggesting that you need to do this - the GTX-970 is still a fine GPU, though like you and me, getting a little long in the tooth these days. :wave:
Managing the case and component thermals as I have suggested above may be all that you need to do to enjoy a quieter and less stressful Trainz Railroad Simulator experience.

Thanks for the reassurance, I can certainly do as you advised, I shall ask The_Lad_Who_Knows_These_Things regarding the heatsink when he turns up for dinner on friday.

Back