Matt finish Locomotives no gloss?

Spectre2015

Hi, Been back a while, getting used to some changes from 2013 etc. I have two issues. One is an old one, which Im surprised hasn't been fixed. I use a large 8 line covered platform station for My Preston Lancashire West coast mainline, But Im still dogged unable to put anything within the station platforms like toilets, waiting rooms, newsagents or lights or timetable boards on the platforms, once I get them in, and I move them along to position them, the whole station and external rails all move with them , putting everything I built out of position, Its been a problem I have had many years ago, and to find its still not been fixed, is somewhat depressing, since I have to remove the station, take away the buildings inside, and redo the whole station layout and lines all over again?? But I don't want an empty station??

The second disappointment is the paintwork quality of the rolling stock. The Virgin Voyager's I found and installed, plus a class 158 Trans Pennine Express look more like a wooden toy, its got no shine, no shadows, no detail, it seems to be missing any gloss to the paintwork completely, that includes the undercarriage which looks more like cardboard cut out?? and still cant find my engine shed by the way. Thanks for any tips.

Raise the item(s) to be moved up 100m or so to select? Or select from a direction in which there's nothing else in the background, from very close up?

Couple of things...

You can use the new layers-function to lock or hide an asset so you can position others in the surrounding area.

Click on the layers button on the right.
Create a new layer under the Route-layer.

Call the layer LOCKED !!!

Click on the padlock on the left to LOCKED !!!

Click back on the Route-layer. (Very important)

Close the tab

Open the Scenery-items tab.

Click on the ? to get properties.

In the upper-right corner you'll see layers.... Switch to LOCKED !!! You can ignore the bound-layer option since that's not needed.

Close the properties window.

Click on the station and attempt to move it. It should not move.

If all is well, you can now place your accessories on the platforms without moving the station its self.

Once completed, get the properties on the station its self again, and change the layer back to the Route-layer from LOCKED !!!

-----

Regarding the flat texturing of rolling stock. This has to do with how the asset was created in the first place and is endemic to older assets. Those created using the modern methods such as the new Class 153 DMUs, the texturing is far better. The problem is updating or replacing the older assets will take sometime before many more are available with the new texturing capabilities.

Layers..... Put the station on a layer, I use one called Stations, then lock it, you should then be able to put whatever you like on the platforms.

Create the new layer in the layers Tab, click on the question mark in the objects tab the click on the station, change the layer to the new one you have just created. You can leave it like that after you have finished adding things or merge it back with the route layer in the layer tab.

Layers are handy as in you can lock them to stop things being moved or even hide them say if you want to put something inside a loco shed and such like.

Afraid most of the UK creators that post on here are Steam orientated. There was a completely new game engine for TANE upwards that doesn't handle specular and such in the same way for older assets.

Best bet for anything non steam related is the British Trainz forum British Trainz

thanks again some issues then??

Guys cant thank you enough, you all gave interesting feedback. I slightly remember Layers, but I been out of Trainz for so long the basic layering at my age is now rather hard to understand but you have laid out the path to try and get this station locked, and will be following your instructions on the notepad. Pity about the poor finish on my trains that I have used since 2006 really. I was wondering if it was my new Geforce card thats in this new computer. I never had a Geforce graphic card ever, Always kept to ATI Radeons for 10 years so know them backwards, maybe Im missing a setting on glossy, but then you say its because the locos I want to use, are not really compatible with TANE. Thats going be a headache as there's no modern locos or DMU's up where I live, dont forget we far behind the South and we not been levelled up rail wise in the North at all in rolling stock. Class 66 is used predominate in N west England for freight, but i used to like using some class 50's as well and "Tracy" Virgin loco, but the finish on that was so awful I had to scrap it. Some tanker wagons for my aviation fuel like shell and Esso & Mobil, are also like eggshell finish, I cant use them really. I may have to rethink the area I want to model, this loss of quality is going to ruin the finished layout in 6 months or so. I mean the Blackpool line got electrified at last, but according to the driver i spoke to, (noting its great to see some new stock up here) he laughed, and said these are not new, 8 to 10 years old already they were bought for a song from a southern region company, who upgraded , and they ended up in Wigan and Blackpool. there's been nothing new up here, since the new Desiro multiple units (class 350 were put into service and even thats going back a while) I have not looked to see if the download station has any Desiro class 350 yet.

Im a Steam user, and buy simple games for my wife on it, and myself some larger games like Jurassic park Evolution etc.. But Before buying TANE I saw a huge amount of complaints in reviews, that Trainz bought on Steam were not being recognised by Planet Auran, I was actually recommended to go the official site and skip any Steam Trainz products. be back again. cheers fellow platelayers

Back