locked layer not 100% locked

martinvk

since 10 Aug 2002
One of the great features of the modern surveyor was the introduction of layers. Being able to place objects on locked layers so they are not selectable when working on nearby objects on another layer is wonderful.

So why can I join a new track on an unlocked layer to one on a locked layer? I can not move it nor get its properties but can still attach at an existing spline. Then the new track also becomes locked

I'm using the track on the locked layer as a guide but don't want the new track to attach to it.

Just a theory Martin,
what if the actual coordinates of spline points are not in the layer you placed them on
and the layer only shows/hides locks/unlocks the meshes.
this could explain, why you can put track on another layer and still it joins at that splinepoint
maybe someone knows more about the inner workings (behind the scenes)
greetings GM

Interesting theory and if true, that would negate a large advantage of using layers as far as tracks are concerned. Also applies to roads on a locked road layer. From another unlocked layer I can attach to a road on a locked layer.

I'm already in SP3. Those still in previous versions, can you confirm this was always functioning like this.

Interesting theory and if true, that would negate a large advantage of using layers as far as tracks are concerned. Also applies to roads on a locked road layer. From another unlocked layer I can attach to a road on a locked layer.

I'm already in SP3. Those still in previous versions, can you confirm this was always functioning like this.

Are you responding to GM or deneban? I think you and I posted at the same time so its for GM.

Yes, I was answering GM. As for the Bound Layer, I read it and don't see how that would apply. You can make individual objects lock in an unlocked layer by binding them to another layer that is locked. I want the the objects in a locked layer to be really locked so that new splines cannot attach to existing splines when they are on a locked layer.

In the very early days when layers first appeared in Trainz I did some experimenting with placing tacks in different layers and joining them together. The aim was to see if I could use the same route in different sessions with different track layouts - e.g. a session with a 1960s track layout and a separate session with a 1980s track layout at yards where the layout had been changed between the years. The track pattern for the 1960s session would be hidden in the 1980s session and visa versa. The results were often strange and not what I was expecting. A 1960s train, for example, would ignore the 1980s hidden track and take it if it was the shorter path. I abandoned this idea.

There was, and still are, issues with using different layers for tracks where track assets, such as signals, junctions, and other track objects are concerned.

My advice is to always place the track and all track attached objects in the same layer and make that the base route layer.

PS: I found the original thread with my layer experiments from 21 years ago at https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?50718

You can make individual objects lock in an unlocked layer by binding them to another layer that is locked. I want the the objects in a locked layer to be really locked so that new splines cannot attach to existing splines when they are on a locked layer.

The shift key prevents automatic conjoining of new vertices with pre-existing (even on the same layer).

Think pware means 11 years ago
been away for years, but as I understand layers were added late trs2009/trs2010
yes, good advice is to place track and trackside on the same (and most often the route layer=is always on)
what you can do however, to put extra track FI a steamloc depot with turntable on a seperate layer (so you can turn it off)
also I use a seperate layer for all caternary, so the route can be old and new

No. I knew about using the Shift to prevent automatic joining but it also prevents joining to the splines on the layer I'm working on. Which defeats the purpose of using layers to isolate other objects.

In your plan, how frequently will there be a spline on one layer exactly over or under a spline on another layer? Can you tolerate minor offsets?

No. I knew about using the Shift to prevent automatic joining but it also prevents joining to the splines on the layer I'm working on. Which defeats the purpose of using layers to isolate other objects.

Have you tried hiding the layer(s) that contain the splines that you do not want to join to your selected spline?

Have you tried hiding the layer(s) that contain the splines that you do not want to join to your selected spline?
I could and that would solve the unwanted joining issue but would defeat the whole purpose of using the locked layer spline as a guide to place another spline. From uncontrolled observation, the attraction radius is about one spline circle diameter and the further out I zoom to see more of the surrounding area, the larger the attraction radius. I suppose it could be done in two stages: place the new spline far enough away to not auto-join; then move them to the correct position since only the end spline is attracted, intermediate splines are not. Sounds like more work that should not have to be done if the locking would be 100%.

Back