Is there any Browser out there that still supports FTP???

meatloaf747

Spotter...
Is there any Browser out there that still supports FTP??? I was using Firefox successfully up until this yesterday. It now appears they no longer support it.

Thanking you. Cheers, Mac...

Not if you want a decent browser, download WinSCP and install, it's an FTP client, Firefox will pass the FTP button download to WinSCP, other than say yes to Firefox using WinSCP there is no setting up involved other than pointing to wherever you are downloading to. Works with Chrome and Chrome Edge as well for anyone else with this problem.
I installed it to see if it worked a couple of days ago in Edge and tested it today in Firefox, no problems.
Filezilla works as well if you prefer that.

There are some fine stand-alone FTP clients out there. I used to use CoreFTP (http://coreftp.com/) but Filezilla works just as well -- even on Windows 10. I like it better because it also runs under Linux and behaves identically on either OS.

Bill

The question I'd like to know the answer to is why (for Trainz that is)?
Are there limitations in using Content Manager? If so, what exactly are they?

Hi Tony,

I have always used the ftp way because I can download items then save them to a storage device so that I can use them when I want to and it doesn't overload my computer space.
If I use content manager it goes straight into my trainz storage disc, which is getting rather large, then if I don't like the item it is sometimes a problem to delete it again.
I am trying to kept my trainz storage down to a minimum.
I have been using Trainz since the beginning and this latest "problem" is really starting to put me off Trainz, I liked designing routes but I have not progressed from the original 19 because of you deleting the redo buttons off the main menu, many more "changes" and I think I'll call it quits.
I guess I'm just old fashioned.

Yours
Macka

In reply to Tony, the advantage of FTP is that when downloading a route one can just get the basic route without all the hundreds of dependencies. It is easy to tell from this outline whether the route is of interest and zap it if not. As far as I know there is no way of stopping dependencies downloading when using content manager.

ingha

Tony,

FTP has the advantage over Content Manager in that, it is possible to download a route without dependencies and save it anywhere convenient. Then, it can be imported into content manager and, as ingha has stated, it can be checked to see if it is of real interest. Secondly, of more importance, its dependencies can then be checked to see if there are an excessive number of "Unknown Assets", including those hidden in DLCs, in which case the route can be simply deleted again as an unwarranted waste of time and effort searching for them all and/or downloading thousands of unwanted items. A third advantage of FTP is that it may be possible to see what version of Trainz it will work with and what is missing from each version.

Until Content Manager has these capabilities, FTP will always be preferential over Content Manager.

Mike

What is the reason for internet browsers no longer supporting FTP? Are they just wanting to annoy everyone?

I've given that answer in other threads on this subject and I don't want to repeat it again. In short, it presents a security issue. Also the vast majority of websites stopped using ftp links to download files more than a decade ago. Http handles downloads just fine and has done so since HTML 4 was released December 1999. I'm guessing it would cost a great deal of money to redesign the DLS website and since Trainz offers Content Manager Tony believes that money would be better spent on improving the program. I agree.

Now that being said, CM could be modified to allow downloads to be stored in a folder of your choice before being installed as an option instead of automatically deleting the downloads and it could also be modified to not automatically download dependencies if the user chooses that option. That would address the two issues reported here and is something that N3V has control over and can do.

William

Is there any Browser out there that still supports FTP??? I was using Firefox successfully up until this yesterday. It now appears they no longer support it.

Thanking you. Cheers, Mac...

Try this browser... K-Meleon, d/loads cdp's without problems - so far! It's not been updated since 2015 so not sure about security issues but I suppose it's OK for just d/loading relatively unimportant cdp files!

Link: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/download.php

I've been using it in a virtual win xp install, but it works in win 10 - just checked it now.

Rob.

@Tony Hilliam. two main reasons for downloading via FTP
1.As mentioned above, one can download a route without all the dependencies. Check it out and if happy, you download the deps.
2.Third party assets do not show up in Content Manager.

.. are there limitations in using Content Manager .. what exactly are they ..
.. limitations of content manager are as said by previous reactions, which i support, plus some other desirables:
- storage in separated storage device or folder
- decision of downloading the extra (un)wanted dependencies
- search option which version and/or missings
plus not ftp related, but noteworthy :
- search option for 3d party assets or unknowns (like tki) ..
- possibility for copy data columns more than only "asset id" and "name", for the purpose of own database or (search)list .. in particular : author - type - status - build version ...
stay safe
grtz
daveric

It is actually possible to add more columns, Zsuda, by right-clicking on an existing one! However this is not entirely obvious and I was completely unaware until a couple days ago.

I use Vivaldi, which is based on Chrome, it also disabled ftp by default. But you can enable ftp by typing :- chrome://flags/#enable-ftp in the address bar.

I use Vivaldi, which is based on Chrome, it also disabled ftp by default. But you can enable ftp by typing :- chrome://flags/#enable-ftp in the address bar.

That works in Edge as well. Thank you and welcome to the forums! :D

The question I'd like to know the answer to is why (for Trainz that is)?
Are there limitations in using Content Manager? If so, what exactly are they?

One major limitation is you need to know the exact kuid number including version number to find it. Occasionally I know the basic kuid number well enough to find it on the web interface, then I need to grab the kuid2 number to feed into content manager.

Cheerio John

So in summary, it looks to me like most of the objections are already covered by functionality some people aren't aware of.

1. Downloading a route without all the hundreds of dependencies.
>>
Use "Download this version" which will download the route first. It will then continue on with the deps (but you can just cancel those and you're done). You can then check for missing deps and determine if that route is for you or not. Also, you can load the route directly from CM to check it out (even before all the missing deps are installed). This gives you a good overview of the style, size, and quality of the route.

2. S
torage in separated storage device or folder
>>
The content is installed in your /original folder. You could back this up on a different drive. You could also create your own .cdp of any content you want to archive.

3. Column headings
>>
There are more you can add. You can drag them to reorder the columns and you can click on the column heading to sort.

search option which version and/or missings
>>
List asset versions does this (assuming you have an older version installed).
If you search for an item using "All Content" filter then paste the KUID into the "Asset KUID" filter, it will show as Unknown if it isn't on the DLS (or isn't installed).
Then use list asset versions to see if any other versions are on the DLS. Try this for example with: <kuid:116296:16703>

Third party assets do not show up in Content Manager.
>>
Do they show on the DLS web? Trainzkuidindex is the best resource to find items not on the DLS.

5. Third party assets do not show up in Content Manager.
>>
Do they show on the DLS web? Trainzkuidindex is the best resource to find items not on the DLS.

The TKI will refer to the DLS. When searching, the asset is found on the internet version, but can't be found when searched in Content Manager.

Content Manager is very useful and very powerful in many ways, but it doesn't always find everything that can be found on the web.

The TKI will refer to the DLS. When searching, the asset is found on the internet version, but can't be found when searched in Content Manager.

Content Manager is very useful and very powerful in many ways, but it doesn't always find everything that can be found on the web.

[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Exactly that. Just now I spent far too much time looking for a TS2009 asset that both CM and the DLS made out wasn't there at all when I knew very well it was. In the end it was a combination of Trainzkuidindex and WinSCP that enabled me to actually get hold of it.

Last edited:
Back