Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any Browser out there that still supports FTP???

Smile Is there any Browser out there that still supports FTP???

Is there any Browser out there that still supports FTP??? I was using Firefox successfully up until this yesterday. It now appears they no longer support it.

Thanking you. Cheers, Mac...

Not if you want a decent browser, download WinSCP and install, it's an FTP client, Firefox will pass the FTP button download to WinSCP, other than say yes to Firefox using WinSCP there is no setting up involved other than pointing to wherever you are downloading to. Works with Chrome and Chrome Edge as well for anyone else with this problem.
    I installed it to see if it worked a couple of days ago in Edge and tested it today in Firefox, no problems.
    Filezilla works as well if you prefer that.
    Malc

Windows 10 wouldn't recognise Filezilla when I tried it in Chrome, but it did recognise WinSCP.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

What is the reason for internet browsers no longer supporting FTP? Are they just wanting to annoy everyone?

3DS Max 2009/2012. T:ANE SP4 (105946) & TRS19 SP2 (110491).
    Win10, i7 5820K, 3.3GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti 6GB vram, 2x512GB SSD.

There are some fine stand-alone FTP clients out there. I used to use CoreFTP (http://coreftp.com/) but Filezilla works just as well -- even on Windows 10. I like it better because it also runs under Linux and behaves identically on either OS.

Bill
    Name: Bill (USN, Retired) Into computers over 55 years
    User ID: 202442
    Trainzer since: 2003
    Currently using: T:ANE (SP4)

The question I'd like to know the answer to is why (for Trainz that is)?
    Are there limitations in using Content Manager? If so, what exactly are they?
    Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

Hi Tony,

I have always used the ftp way because I can download items then save them to a storage device so that I can use them when I want to and it doesn't overload my computer space.
    If I use content manager it goes straight into my trainz storage disc, which is getting rather large, then if I don't like the item it is sometimes a problem to delete it again.
    I am trying to kept my trainz storage down to a minimum.
    I have been using Trainz since the beginning and this latest "problem" is really starting to put me off Trainz, I liked designing routes but I have not progressed from the original 19 because of you deleting the redo buttons off the main menu, many more "changes" and I think I'll call it quits.
    I guess I'm just old fashioned.

Yours
    Macka

In reply to Tony, the advantage of FTP is that when downloading a route one can just get the basic route without all the hundreds of dependencies. It is easy to tell from this outline whether the route is of interest and zap it if not. As far as I know there is no way of stopping dependencies downloading when using content manager.

ingha

Tony,

FTP has the advantage over Content Manager in that, it is possible to download a route without dependencies and save it anywhere convenient. Then, it can be imported into content manager and, as ingha has stated, it can be checked to see if it is of real interest. Secondly, of more importance, its dependencies can then be checked to see if there are an excessive number of "Unknown Assets", including those hidden in DLCs, in which case the route can be simply deleted again as an unwarranted waste of time and effort searching for them all and/or downloading thousands of unwanted items. A third advantage of FTP is that it may be possible to see what version of Trainz it will work with and what is missing from each version.

Until Content Manager has these capabilities, FTP will always be preferential over Content Manager.

Mike

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    What is the reason for internet browsers no longer supporting FTP? Are they just wanting to annoy everyone?

I've given that answer in other threads on this subject and I don't want to repeat it again. In short, it presents a security issue. Also the vast majority of websites stopped using ftp links to download files more than a decade ago. Http handles downloads just fine and has done so since HTML 4 was released December 1999. I'm guessing it would cost a great deal of money to redesign the DLS website and since Trainz offers Content Manager Tony believes that money would be better spent on improving the program. I agree.

Now that being said, CM could be modified to allow downloads to be stored in a folder of your choice before being installed as an option instead of automatically deleting the downloads and it could also be modified to not automatically download dependencies if the user chooses that option. That would address the two issues reported here and is something that N3V has control over and can do.

William

Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf747 View Post
    Is there any Browser out there that still supports FTP??? I was using Firefox successfully up until this yesterday. It now appears they no longer support it.

Thanking you. Cheers, Mac...

Try this browser... K-Meleon, d/loads cdp's without problems - so far! It's not been updated since 2015 so not sure about security issues but I suppose it's OK for just d/loading relatively unimportant cdp files!

Link: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/download.php

I've been using it in a virtual win xp install, but it works in win 10 - just checked it now.

Rob.

@Tony Hilliam. two main reasons for downloading via FTP
    1.As mentioned above, one can download a route without all the dependencies. Check it out and if happy, you download the deps.
    2.Third party assets do not show up in Content Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post
    .. are there limitations in using Content Manager .. what exactly are they ..
    .. limitations of content manager are as said by previous reactions, which i support, plus some other desirables:
    - storage in separated storage device or folder
    - decision of downloading the extra (un)wanted dependencies
    - search option which version and/or missings
    plus not ftp related, but noteworthy :
    - search option for 3d party assets or unknowns (like tki) ..
    - possibility for copy data columns more than only "asset id" and "name", for the purpose of own database or (search)list .. in particular : author - type - status - build version ...
    stay safe
    grtz
    daveric

It is actually possible to add more columns, Zsuda, by right-clicking on an existing one! However this is not entirely obvious and I was completely unaware until a couple days ago.

I use Vivaldi, which is based on Chrome, it also disabled ftp by default. But you can enable ftp by typing :- chrome://flags/#enable-ftp in the address bar.