Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any Browser out there that still supports FTP???

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by doctorg View Post
    I use Vivaldi, which is based on Chrome, it also disabled ftp by default. But you can enable ftp by typing :- chrome://flags/#enable-ftp in the address bar.

That works in Edge as well. Thank you and welcome to the forums!
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post
    The question I'd like to know the answer to is why (for Trainz that is)?
    Are there limitations in using Content Manager? If so, what exactly are they?
    One major limitation is you need to know the exact kuid number including version number to find it. Occasionally I know the basic kuid number well enough to find it on the web interface, then I need to grab the kuid2 number to feed into content manager.

Cheerio John

So in summary, it looks to me like most of the objections are already covered by functionality some people aren't aware of.

1. Downloading a route without all the hundreds of dependencies.
    >>
    Use "Download this version" which will download the route first. It will then continue on with the deps (but you can just cancel those and you're done). You can then check for missing deps and determine if that route is for you or not. Also, you can load the route directly from CM to check it out (even before all the missing deps are installed). This gives you a good overview of the style, size, and quality of the route.

2. S
    torage in separated storage device or folder
    >>
    The content is installed in your /original folder. You could back this up on a different drive. You could also create your own .cdp of any content you want to archive.

3. Column headings
    >>
    There are more you can add. You can drag them to reorder the columns and you can click on the column heading to sort.

search option which version and/or missings
    >>
    List asset versions does this (assuming you have an older version installed).
    If you search for an item using "All Content" filter then paste the KUID into the "Asset KUID" filter, it will show as Unknown if it isn't on the DLS (or isn't installed).
    Then use list asset versions to see if any other versions are on the DLS. Try this for example with: <kuid:116296:16703>

Third party assets do not show up in Content Manager.
    >>
    Do they show on the DLS web? Trainzkuidindex is the best resource to find items not on the DLS.
    Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

5. Third party assets do not show up in Content Manager.
    >>
    Do they show on the DLS web? Trainzkuidindex is the best resource to find items not on the DLS.

The TKI will refer to the DLS. When searching, the asset is found on the internet version, but can't be found when searched in Content Manager.

Content Manager is very useful and very powerful in many ways, but it doesn't always find everything that can be found on the web.

John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    The TKI will refer to the DLS. When searching, the asset is found on the internet version, but can't be found when searched in Content Manager.

Content Manager is very useful and very powerful in many ways, but it doesn't always find everything that can be found on the web.

[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Exactly that. Just now I spent far too much time looking for a TS2009 asset that both CM and the DLS made out wasn't there at all when I knew very well it was. In the end it was a combination of Trainzkuidindex and WinSCP that enabled me to actually get hold of it.
    Last edited by KotangaGirl; April 23rd, 2021 at 03:37 AM. Reason: formatting
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

And I will ask this once more - why are all these browsers suddenly withdrawing their support for FTP? It seems like cartel behaviour that they all decided to do this at the same time, but what have they to gain by doing this?

Last edited by Dinorius_Redundicus; April 23rd, 2021 at 01:02 AM.
    3DS Max 2009/2012. T:ANE SP4 (105946) & TRS19 SP2 (110491).
    Win10, i7 5820K, 3.3GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti 6GB vram, 2x512GB SSD.

@tony & @soap : adding is not the issue i mentioned .. but copy more columns than only name and asset id ..

[QUOTE=Tony_Hilliam;1869131]....

3. Column headings
    >>
    There are more you can add. You can drag them to reorder the columns and you can click on the column heading to sort.

As others have said, It is NOT the ability to add additional columns BUT the ability to capture MORE or ALL of them when copying them (ie. Ctrl+C) to then paste (ctr+v) them into a personal database or spreadsheet or even to insert them into a message post. Currently only Name & KUID is all that is copied even if all the colums are highlighted.
    Win 10 X64 - i7-8700 16Gb Ram GTX 1060 3Gb
    TRS19 Platinum Build 110491
    T:ANE Build 105930 (SP4)
    TMR17 Build 85470

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

Yes, I know why and have explained as much as I can given the restrictions in the CoC against discussing hacking. But I will try again.

1. The code is very old and dates back to the very beginning of browsers and is difficult to maintain in concerns to security issues. (Official reason given by browser companies)

2. Html code can be use to download files. ftp://domain name/file name is obsolete.

3. A well known exploit can be used against a server by using the ftp protocol within a browser to run a script previously uploaded by the hacker to his user directory.

4. This exploit can easily be disabled by an admin that knows what they are doing with regard to locking down a server but today more and more servers on the Internet are virtual servers like Amazon Web Servers (AWS). These servers are not always run by people who know what they are doing. This means more targets for the exploit.

5. The US government in a act of incredible stupidity has decided to use services like AWS and other virtual server merchants to host government websites. AWS is a cesspool of bad guys that use virtual servers to attack other resources on the Internet.

Now I spent 18 years as an admin for an Internet Service Provider and Internet security was my life 24/7 but you are free to believe that I don't know what I am talking about if you wish.

As to why now. I was told recently by my old boss who by the way is scary smart and continuously monitors Internet security forums. That a new exploit was discovered recently by Internet security experts that makes use of the ftp function of browsers in a new way that basically can not be stopped. I don't know the details of how it works yet but ftp runs on just about every device connected to the Internet: switches, routers, firewalls. He said that all of them can be compromised or even more scary may have been compromised already. So removing the ftp code from browsers may be a case of locking the barn doors after the horses got out or it might be a stop gap measure to buy time to patch millions of devices, I don't know. We may all just wake up one day and the Internet won't work anymore.

William

What I found with the old FTP system one could go to the public library and log into the Trainz downloads account.
    Then one can download a Kuid asset in the form of a CDP file and save to a USB stick.
    Good method when storing kuid CDP backups to an external hard drive.
    Very handy to store kuid's prior before installation via content manager.

However the best logical thing about installing directly from the Content Manager is that if any additional or updated dependencies are required they will be downloaded as well.

Makes sense to download from the Trainz Content manager.

Tony,

Thanks for the tip regarding using 'Download This Version' for routes. I have just tried it on a very large route and it worked. Is this feature of its use advertised anywhere? I always thought 'Download This Version' was to download the specific version requested and not the latest.

William:

Thanks for the information regarding the reason for stopping support of FTP. Reading the Mozilla information, one is left with the impression that support is stopped because it is old and not many people (apparently) use the protocol. According to Mozilla, they would have stopped supporting it earlier but haven't because of Covid 19????? That does not sound as if security is of much importance.

As someone living in an area where there is a curfew because of Covid, it sounds a bit like the local supermarket saying that "because of Covid" we will be leaving our doors open at night.

Mike

Good day

Please how do I download this ftp file (kuid):

Thank you.

ivomasek

@wreeder : thank you very much for explaining .. i will take the advice ..
    @meatloaf747 & @Dinorius_Redundicus : thanks for (insistently) asking ..
    grtz
    daveric

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ivomasek View Post
    Good day

Please how do I download this ftp file (kuid):

ivomasek
    On your picture, the bottom left has link, 'Download Page' should take you to the links to download it. You can also change your settings, top right, 'Result Settings' from Display Type 'Detailed' to 'Short' should give you more options.
    If it's not broke, don't fix it.

The problem is this:
    It cannot be downloaded normally.
    Firefox rejects * ftp
    Edge redirects to IE (internet explorer)
    Chrome redirects to IE
    The Win10 update will be released in the autumn, and IE will no longer be there. What then?

ivomasek