Is there any Browser out there that still supports FTP???

And I will ask this once more - why are all these browsers suddenly withdrawing their support for FTP? It seems like cartel behaviour that they all decided to do this at the same time, but what have they to gain by doing this?

Last edited:
@tony & @soap : adding is not the issue i mentioned .. but copy more columns than only name and asset id ..

3. Column headings
>>
There are more you can add. You can drag them to reorder the columns and you can click on the column heading to sort.

As others have said, It is NOT the ability to add additional columns BUT the ability to capture MORE or ALL of them when copying them (ie. Ctrl+C) to then paste (ctr+v) them into a personal database or spreadsheet or even to insert them into a message post. Currently only Name & KUID is all that is copied even if all the colums are highlighted.

Yes, I know why and have explained as much as I can given the restrictions in the CoC against discussing hacking. But I will try again.

1. The code is very old and dates back to the very beginning of browsers and is difficult to maintain in concerns to security issues. (Official reason given by browser companies)

2. Html code can be use to download files. ftp://domain name/file name is obsolete.

3. A well known exploit can be used against a server by using the ftp protocol within a browser to run a script previously uploaded by the hacker to his user directory.

4. This exploit can easily be disabled by an admin that knows what they are doing with regard to locking down a server but today more and more servers on the Internet are virtual servers like Amazon Web Servers (AWS). These servers are not always run by people who know what they are doing. This means more targets for the exploit.

5. The US government in a act of incredible stupidity has decided to use services like AWS and other virtual server merchants to host government websites. AWS is a cesspool of bad guys that use virtual servers to attack other resources on the Internet.

Now I spent 18 years as an admin for an Internet Service Provider and Internet security was my life 24/7 but you are free to believe that I don't know what I am talking about if you wish.

As to why now. I was told recently by my old boss who by the way is scary smart and continuously monitors Internet security forums. That a new exploit was discovered recently by Internet security experts that makes use of the ftp function of browsers in a new way that basically can not be stopped. I don't know the details of how it works yet but ftp runs on just about every device connected to the Internet: switches, routers, firewalls. He said that all of them can be compromised or even more scary may have been compromised already. So removing the ftp code from browsers may be a case of locking the barn doors after the horses got out or it might be a stop gap measure to buy time to patch millions of devices, I don't know. We may all just wake up one day and the Internet won't work anymore.

William

What I found with the old FTP system one could go to the public library and log into the Trainz downloads account.
Then one can download a Kuid asset in the form of a CDP file and save to a USB stick.
Good method when storing kuid CDP backups to an external hard drive.
Very handy to store kuid's prior before installation via content manager.

However the best logical thing about installing directly from the Content Manager is that if any additional or updated dependencies are required they will be downloaded as well.

Makes sense to download from the Trainz Content manager.

Tony,

Thanks for the tip regarding using 'Download This Version' for routes. I have just tried it on a very large route and it worked. Is this feature of its use advertised anywhere? I always thought 'Download This Version' was to download the specific version requested and not the latest.

William:

Thanks for the information regarding the reason for stopping support of FTP. Reading the Mozilla information, one is left with the impression that support is stopped because it is old and not many people (apparently) use the protocol. According to Mozilla, they would have stopped supporting it earlier but haven't because of Covid 19????? That does not sound as if security is of much importance.

As someone living in an area where there is a curfew because of Covid, it sounds a bit like the local supermarket saying that "because of Covid" we will be leaving our doors open at night.

Mike

Good day

Please how do I download this ftp file (kuid):

2021-04-23-131922.jpg

Thank you.

ivomasek

@wreeder : thank you very much for explaining .. i will take the advice ..
@meatloaf747 & @Dinorius_Redundicus : thanks for (insistently) asking ..
grtz
daveric

Good day

Please how do I download this ftp file (kuid):

ivomasek

On your picture, the bottom left has link, 'Download Page' should take you to the links to download it. You can also change your settings, top right, 'Result Settings' from Display Type 'Detailed' to 'Short' should give you more options.

The problem is this:
It cannot be downloaded normally.
Firefox rejects * ftp
Edge redirects to IE (internet explorer)
Chrome redirects to IE
The Win10 update will be released in the autumn, and IE will no longer be there. What then?

ivomasek

The problem is this:
It cannot be downloaded normally.
Firefox rejects * ftp
Edge redirects to IE (internet explorer)
Chrome redirects to IE
The Win10 update will be released in the autumn, and IE will no longer be there. What then?

ivomasek

Open Chrome or any Chromium-based browser such as the new Edge, Opera, or Vivaldi.

In the address bar, paste this:

chrome://flags/#enable-ftp

A browser will open up with all kinds of hidden settings.

Look for the one for FTP; mine was right at the top in Edge.

Click on the pull down on the right and choose Enable.

Your browser will restart.

We can thank "doctorg" on the first page of this thread for posting this for us.

Open Chrome or any Chromium-based browser such as the new Edge, Opera, or Vivaldi. In the address bar, paste this: chrome://flags/#enable-ftp A browser will open up with all kinds of hidden settings. Look for the one for FTP; mine was right at the top in Edge. Click on the pull down on the right and choose Enable.Your browser will restart. We can thank "doctorg" on the first page of this thread for posting this for us.

Thankyou Sir.

Cheers, Mac...

The current version of Firefox (88.0) still supports FTP. You might have to enable it first.
- Enter about:config for the URL
- at the warning, accept the risk and continue
- search for ftp
- set network.ftp.enabled to true

Peter

The current version of Firefox (88.0) still supports FTP. You might have to enable it first.
- Enter about:config for the URL
- at the warning, accept the risk and continue
- search for ftp
- set network.ftp.enabled to true

Peter

Only puts off the inevitable though and only a temporary fix.

Having gone to look it up at Mozilla, FTP will be completely blocked from Firefox 90, disabled by default from 88. about:config will only work in 88 and 89 the option will be read only in 90 and won't actually do anything, so better to get a permanent solution and adapt to using it rather than go through the "why doesn't ftp work" saga again in just over a month or two.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2021/04/15/built-in-ftp-implementation-to-be-removed-in-firefox-90/ looks like v90 will become live at the end of May.

Bizarrely Firefox nightly builds can still be downloaded by FTP!

@malc1952,

I installed WinSCP just fine, and I attempted to do an FTP download. I am using Firefox, and when I choose the file I want to download, it asks for the link, and I choose Firefox, but all I get is a blank tab. I guess I never told Firefox to use WinSCP. Can you tell me how to do that? Thanks for the suggestion, and the help.

Bob Morrison

When it asks for the application you select WinSCP, if it's not showing as per my screenshot click choose and browse to the WinSCP.exe should be in "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\WinSCP.exe" Don't tick always use though as it will open the WinSCP file manager rather than down load the file, should show the WinSCP option every time after selecting it initially.

Uninstalled WinSCP & Firefox. Do not need them, if you have a chrome based browser. doctorg & JCitron's fix works a treat. No more problems:

Open Chrome or any Chromium-based browser such as the new Edge, Opera, or Vivaldi.

Uninstalled WinSCP & Firefox. Do not need them, if you have a chrome based browser. doctorg & JCitron's fix works a treat. No more problems:

I'll stick to Firefox thank you.

Back