Can I Change Some .BMP Files To .TGA?

I ask this because when I'm reskinning an asset and some of the files are .bmp, when I reskin and overwrite the .bmp file and export as is, then what happens is I get a message that says "Modified/Faulty" after I commit the asset.

So is it possible to change the .bmp files to .tga because the .bmp's are screwing things up for me. I use Gimp 2.10 and it does export .bmp files - BUT when I hit the Export button, a few extra boxes pop up with different compression options etc. I don't touch anything so it can export in its default state. Yet like I said, when I commit the asset, I get a warning that says "Modified/Faulty".

Uh, erm, HELP???

- RR70

free pic program IrfanView does this easy
open the .bmp and save(original folder) as .tga
then adjust your .texture.txt to point to the .tga not .bmp
greetings GM

You can use the free irfanview program to convert to that, but will have to make sure all references to the files change as well.

I ask this because when I'm reskinning an asset and some of the files are .bmp, when I reskin and overwrite the .bmp file and export as is, then what happens is I get a message that says "Modified/Faulty" after I commit the asset.

So is it possible to change the .bmp files to .tga because the .bmp's are screwing things up for me. I use Gimp 2.10 and it does export .bmp files - BUT when I hit the Export button, a few extra boxes pop up with different compression options etc. I don't touch anything so it can export in its default state. Yet like I said, when I commit the asset, I get a warning that says "Modified/Faulty".

Uh, erm, HELP???

- RR70

Basically no, the type of file is set when the asset is created. It might be possible with the .im editor but I'd check the options in your graphics editor before going that route. From memory .BMP grew out of OS/2 and has some history.

Which graphic editor are you using and which kuid are you trying to reskin ie the original kuid?

Thanks John

Uh, erm, HELP???

- RR70

Have you edited the associated *.texture.txt file that comes with the texture file? For example, a *.bmp texture file needs to be written as *.bmp file in the associated *.texture.txt file.

I have found that changing from *.tga to *.bmp or *.jpg is OK when reskinning, just remember to change the *.txt file to match before committing. Some assets come with *.jpg files, I always change these to*.bmp files for editing reskins, change them back to *.jpg, if you want to, when you're happy with your reskin.

Note: None of the above applies to assets made with PBR materials for TSR2019, what an absolute shame, N3V should be keel hauled for that!

Rob

Last edited:
Hello Railroader1970,
Open the .bmp image, say env-metal.bmp in your chosen image editor (I use Paint dot Net), then go 'save as' and look for a drop down menu that contains .tga (there will be other image formats) and choose .tga and it should save as env-metal.tga. Also open the texture.text file and change from, say env-metal.bmp to env-metal.tga and save. Change also any other files that contain the bmp. Remember also that .bmp images may form the alpha channel in a tga texure file, Aways best to open all the texture.txt files first for a perusal to see whats in them.
The following are useful,
https://contentcreation.trainzsimulator.com/im-editor-edit-im-files/
http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/tutorials/index.php/home/utilities/pevsoft-trainz-tools/images2tga plus other most useful items

Cheers, evilcrow

Uh, erm, HELP???

- RR70

Are you using TRAINZ 2019 for your content creations or something else ? The .bmp's work fine for me with TANE, but I have doubt that they'd transfer well for 2019.

Are you using TRAINZ 2019 for your content creations or something else ? The .bmp's work fine for me with TANE, but I have doubt that they'd transfer well for 2019.

Haven't got TRS19 yet. My computer is 10 years old now and I'm waiting until I get a new computer before I purchase TRS19. I am still using TS12.

- RR70

Back