Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Earth now a time machine

Default Google Earth now a time machine

Google has put petabytes of satellite data from the last 30+ years into Google Earth, so you can now go back in time. I think this may be a great help to those looking to see what the prototype of their layout may have looked like 30 years ago. The article is at this link: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...-time-machine/
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Thumbs up

Good Morning Sir,

That is great news, I don't use DEM, but when looking for Older things and how they might have look, this is big plus...I see lots of other members building magnificent routes, and the one thing that holds them up on completion is not having some of the older Data available......

.Definitely going to put this to use.....I have already put Google Earth on my Computer several years ago, Amazing Mapping App........

Appreciate the sharing of your Knowledge.........

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Google has put petabytes of satellite data from the last 30+ years into Google Earth, so you can now go back in time. I think this may be a great help to those looking to see what the prototype of their layout may have looked like 30 years ago. The article is at this link: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...-time-machine/
    Yeah, many places of historical significance had this data back to 1945. I did notice that there were a lot more sites covered now. I've been watching Time Team episodes from the 90s and finding them on Google Earth. It must have been very dry at the time as the parch mark lines show up clearly in the 1998 imagery.

William

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

That's cool, thanks for this. The problem is right now things are way too blurry for those locations not on their 'select' list of places such as Dubai. I just looked at my city, Haverhill, MA, and it looks like a low resolution texture.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

Yeah, I think a clarification is in order: "Subject to resolution at the time." I tried looking at my area of interest as well, circa 1990-2000, and got no resolution whatsoever, just big pixelated blocks. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted...
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

But that’s the way it was back in the 1990’s, everything was pixelated. The sun was just a square in the sky, car wheels were blocks, roads had jagged edges instead of smooth curves and writing in cursive script was impossible. At least we had coloured pixels by that stage, but if you go back further to the 1980’s, they were just black and white, it was so boring. Still, it was better than in the 1920’s when everything was grey and people had to walk around in a really fast, jerky manner while smoking pipes. You could see them mouthing words, but no sound came out, so you had to guess what they were saying. Proper talking was only invented in the 1930’s. Kids these days don’t know how lucky they are.
    3DS Max 2009/2012. T:ANE SP4 (105946) & TRS19 SP2 (110491).
    Win10, i7 5820K, 3.3GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti 6GB vram, 2x512GB SSD.

Oh yes! I remember the 90's! It was like Minecraft, or DOS computer games!!

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

This was in the Daily Mail Online about it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...apse-tool.html

William

Thumbs up Memories of Yesteryear are me,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Oh yes! I remember the 90's! It was like Minecraft, or DOS computer games!!

Now you did it,

You opened my Cobb Webbed mind, on Minecraft other games....

Started with 386SX machine, (after using Radio Shack TANDY Computer with Basic Language and 6 Herts speed in 1970), running 5 Megs hard drive, about the size of a small Shoe Box, LOL, and 1/4 Meg, not Gig of Memory GPU,,,,,,,Dos 2.0 and no Windows then 1986, if I recall, or 1985....We had no menus either, you had to create Dos Menu's with Batch Files and Basic Language......Oh my Brain is hurting Forester1, and its your Fault......

All kidding aside, I now remember, no Cell Phone, just a Pocket Pager for Mr's Blue to call me, and stop at the nearest Public Phone to call Home......

Wow and now look at us.........AI is taking over...........Sky is the limit........

When I first got married there were no cell phones, and our only contact with the office from the woods was by radio, but the office people went home at 5pm, and we often had to stay out late. My new bride would get furious that she had no idea when I might get home and had no way to contact me to see if I was all right. Found that out very soon after the honeymoon!

How funny, before I got pager, same thing for me..... I got delayed at work, where I worked 10-12 hrs days..... Occasionally I would forget to call home, then get stuck with traffic, work was not close.... Amazing those days back then....

Blog Entries

Good news but I think I will wait until they put up the satellite data from the 1880s for one of my projects.
    TRS19 Platinum Edition build 111951

United States of America, New York, Allegany
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    Good news but I think I will wait until they put up the satellite data from the 1880s for one of my projects.
    Same here ... Coal and wood burners rule ! That's my project era.

I didn't really look at this Time Machine in detail, but the Google Earth " Historical Imaginary" tab has been there for a few years, letting you go back to low resolution satellite view as early as the 1990's. What's different about this " Time Machine" ?
    T:ANE Standard SP2 to SP3
    TRS 2012 build 61388

That would be great if we could watch a satellite time machine of the building of the transcontinental railroad!
    JimDep, apparently the difference is that I was able to get black and white aerial photos of my area of interest back to the 1980s from Google Maps or Google Earth, although they seemed to be gone when I looked again later. None of that is included in this new timeline.o

heh me modeling mid 70s rural maryland...
    "The Dutch Line"