Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google Earth now a time machine

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    That would be great if we could watch a satellite time machine of the building of the transcontinental railroad!
    JimDep, apparently the difference is that I was able to get black and white aerial photos of my area of interest back to the 1980s from Google Maps or Google Earth, although they seemed to be gone when I looked again later. None of that is included in this new timeline.o
    On Google Earth the application, I too have used the older black and white images as well as some color, depending upon how far I've gone back. I just checked, and some of the older ones from 1985 are now a complete blur so it appear that Google has ruined those too.

When not using GE, I use Historic Aerials instead because it's a bit more useful.

www.historicaerials.com

There are ads and the viewer is a bit small, but you can do other things such as overlaying a topo map on top of a satellite image, or comparing different years. You can copy and paste in geo coordinates from Google Earth so you can snap right into place. Very addicting.

EDIT:

I think I know what the issue is. Google hasn't loaded up all the images for those years and what we have is low resolution thumbnails. Hopefully this is temporary until they get the images loaded up again.
    Last edited by JCitron; April 16th, 2021 at 11:06 PM.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

United States of America, New York, Allegany
    Blog Entries

I'm surprised the satellite images weren't clearer back then , more than they are now. ........you know, with more and more heat waves coming off the earth's surface every year. In a few years, it'll be one blurry mess.

Update: I was being sarcastic. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by JimDep; April 17th, 2021 at 06:15 PM.
    T:ANE Standard SP2 to SP3
    TRS 2012 build 61388

Quote Originally Posted by JimDep View Post
    I'm surprised the satellite images weren't clearer back then , more than they are now. ........you know, with more and more heat waves coming off the earth's surface every year. In a few years, it'll be one blurry mess.
    Some of the satellite images are indeed very clear while others are not. I agree with the increase in heat, and sometimes humidity, the imagery may possibly become more blurry.
    John

Thanks for the link John. Those were the same photographs I had obtained before, but I got them without the watermarks. Pretty blurry close up, and lacking in detail, but I can probably put together what one mill site looked like, and it had the other one I was looking at as well. Hard to believe these mills were the main income of these small towns for decades, but I can't find any photographs of the mills anywhere! And I was not better, I took no photographs when I worked around them either.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Thanks for the link John. Those were the same photographs I had obtained before, but I got them without the watermarks. Pretty blurry close up, and lacking in detail, but I can probably put together what one mill site looked like, and it had the other one I was looking at as well. Hard to believe these mills were the main income of these small towns for decades, but I can't find any photographs of the mills anywhere! And I was not better, I took no photographs when I worked around them either.
    You're welcome. I've seen the older photos on GE for places too without the watermarks in my area. Unfortunately, those watermarks on HA obscure the images usually where we want to see a detail, but I'm sure you like myself won't spend the megabucks they want for no watermarks and we'll deal with them instead.

In the past, I too didn't take pictures of a lot of things even when out on my trips through the Midwest. In some ways, it was difficult getting the camera in position to snap a picture as we passed by things, and in other times we were there but not in a good position to get a good picture then either. Out in the west, I saw coal trains coming out of the Powder River, Amtrak Empire Builders pass each other while I was eating lunch at McDonalds, and masses of coal trains in Forsythe yard awaiting train orders. These are only a few I missed and my days of traveling like that are now over so it'll never happen again.

It is unbelievable that an industry that was so important to a region wasn't documented. At least in my area, there are photos of the heyday of some of the big textile mills in operation. You wouldn't believe the mass of tracks and trains all over the place in Lawrence, and Lowell. Today, the tracks are gone, but there are still signs of them everywhere.
    John

Google Earth is in a already in a timewarp for where I live, it seems to be stuck in 2014.

This bridge does not show up in the UK edition..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersey_Gateway_Bridge

On the splash screen for GE it states the world's most detailed globe! Fail!
    Member of TCWW and Trainz DE

Enthusiast, not expert.

Blog Entries

I had the same problem - no Mersey Gateway Bridge until I looked a little closer. Not at the missing bridge but at the bottom left of the image there is a tab reading 1945. Click it and the 1945 aerial view will appear (still missing the bridge) but at the top left of the image is a slider. Move it all the way to the right to 2020 and - behold!
    TRS19 Platinum Edition build 111951

That's odd, there is no slider in my version.
    Not too bothered though, I don't use GE much, I use G. Maps instead.

Cheers,
    Graham
    Member of TCWW and Trainz DE

Enthusiast, not expert.

Blog Entries

The bridge does appear in the satellite view option in Google Maps.
    TRS19 Platinum Edition build 111951

In the UK the website Britain From Above hosts a large number of aerial photos taken mainly in the 1920s and 30s. The photos are of ultra high clarity, better than any Google Earth image.

https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
    MSI Gaming 9 ACK mobo-Intel i7 5960X-Samsung 970 Evo Pro 240GB M2 SSD-Nvidia RTX 2070 GPU-32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2133Mhz DDR4 RAM