No TURFFX bushes?

Chris750

Sorry if I am just being blind, but I wanted to add bushes (seasonal) to an area and thought it might be a good place to try turffx, but I will be darned if I could find anything with a bush in clutter, I could find lots of stuff that I don't think anyone will ever use, like elephant plants, but no bush. I have the platinum edition, are there no bushes?

Thanks.

TurfFX is only Grass and Grains.

ClutterFX has those Elephant plants, which, I agree are useless for most routes, and so far no one has modeled any bushes.

Rico

I tried to create bush Turffx. All you do is add a special tag to the item and then it should show up in the effect choices.

That was only as far as I got, as when I tried to paint them, they never showed up. I've gave up on it and just copied and paste the scenery items and deleted on areas they aren't supposed to be there.

Cheers

I tried to create bush Turffx. All you do is add a special tag to the item and then it should show up in the effect choices.

That was only as far as I got, as when I tried to paint them, they never showed up.

From my reading of the article quoted by John in post #3 above it is not as simple as adding a special tag. A lot more work is involved which is probably why there are no TurfFX bushes and, as pointed out by ricomon35 in post #2, TurfFX is for grasses not bushes. Clutter is better suited for that.

I have just recently started using TurfFX and Clutter effects layers - using the supplied assets, not creating new one. I kept "putting them off" because they just looked too complicated. I am now enjoying using them, or more correctly, playing with them. I am still experimenting with the many settings, particularly with TurfFX, and application methods as each application needs different settings to get the look you want.

From my reading of the article quoted by John in post #3 above it is not as simple as adding a special tag. A lot more work is involved which is probably why there are no TurfFX bushes and, as pointed out by ricomon35 in post #2, TurfFX is for grasses not bushes. Clutter is better suited for that..

Yes I also found that out on my own.
What give me the idea that it was 'easy' was from a set of 2D trees I downloaded from the DLS (forgot what they were called) and you could add the trees as turffx effects. That's what gave me the idea of just adding a tag was enough since the config file of the trees all had was the tag.

Cheers

As Turf is primarily Grass I wouldn't expect TurfFX bushes, that would be speed tree bushes. Clutter is a different Function and you can make your own clutter by using mesh assets, have a look at one of the clutter configs, probably you could use speed tree bushes. As it's a mesh asset it wouldn't be breaking any copyright as you are just referencing it in a config.

Upon reading Malc's post above, I don't know that I would go to the extent of creating "clutter bushes" from SpeedTree assets.

In my current project I originally started with SpeedTree (and other) bush and grass assets as normal scenery items and are quite happy with the result. I have, just in the past week, started adding TurfFX and Clutter effect layers as additional scenery items amongst the existing grass tufts and low bushes (it is a semi arid landscape). The clutter layer consists of dry grass and various small stones.

The two types mix quite well. But the original grass and bush assets have the advantages of being visible from much further away than the TurfFX and Clutter plus they work on systems that lack the "oomph" to use these newer effects so those users will still see plenty of vegetation.

I am impressed with these new effect layers after being initially wary of using them. I can see their benefits as additions, not replacements, for existing stand-alone vegetation and other similar assets.

As Turf is primarily Grass I wouldn't expect TurfFX bushes, that would be speed tree bushes. Clutter is a different Function and you can make your own clutter by using mesh assets, have a look at one of the clutter configs, probably you could use speed tree bushes. As it's a mesh asset it wouldn't be breaking any copyright as you are just referencing it in a config.

Ah yes, that's what I meant was the clutter lol...
Its easy to get the two confused, since they both are within the same window / area..

Cheers

Lol, it's very easy to get confused in Trainz these days! By the way the clutter assets are available as individual plants under the scenery tab with clutter appended to the name, so can be used individually as well.

By the way the clutter assets are available as individual plants under the scenery tab with clutter appended to the name, so can be used individually as well.

Thanks, I didn't notice that. All (19 of them) are marked "Installed, payware" but before anyone complains, all of them are in the built in "Content Samples #1" route that comes with every TRS19 install.

Thank you everyone for your informative answers. Myself, I consider a bush "clutter" which I gather as anything that is a scene filler. I have zero ability to create content so making them myself will never happen. So turffx is basically just grass then, but I use spline grass as I do not care for the turffx grass.

Cheers all.

So turffx is basically just grass then, but I use spline grass as I do not care for the turffx grass.

I do not use grass splines because they come with a performance penalty.

I am really enjoying using both TurfFX and Clutter but I am wary of "going overboard" with them so I limit myself to a few layers of each per route. They are applied to a route in exactly the same way as you would apply a ground texture, by "painting" them but with the Terrain Tools, not the Paint Tools. This method does have the same issues as using the texture painting brush but at least it comes with an erase option.

Neither effect is intended to cover an entire layout like a ground texture or a scenery spline, as they use LOD values that will reduce their visibility fairly quickly. I use them close to and alongside the track. TurfFX does give you a distance control that will increase its visibility distance (but with some performance penalty if you are too ambitious).

TurfFX comes with a "bewildering" array of control options, Clutter less so, but these give you a great deal of control over how they look. Changing the control variables after you have painted the effects into a route will immediately update all the previously painted areas for that effect layer. So if you need to use the same TurfFX grass but with two different "looks" then you need to start a new TurfFX layer.

Best to consult the Wiki Pages before starting.
Clutter - https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Clutter_Effect_Layer
TurfFX - https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/TurfFX_Effect_Layer

I treat the TurfFX as if I am placing the splines except I don't go overboard and will only place the grass out no more than 50-60 meters out from the tracks maximum. It's just enough to hide the texturing, but not enough to nail the performance. In some instances, I'll place some spline weeds and wildflowers to mix up with the grass, but then too even when I used to use grass splines, I didn't go absolutely nuts with them either. In the past I've run into some routes that had so many grass splines on them that the performance tanked to a slideshow until I did some grass cutting, and I mean a lot of spline removing.

Back