removed due to abuse received from zec

means they can be taken away at any time for any or no reason?

Though this is true, it would be a bad business model on Steam's part to do this regularly. There are very few recorded instances of this happening, and it wouldn't be such a popular platform were it a regular thing.

Though I don't have Trainz on steam, I have many other games on it, and the biggest reason I like it is cloud saves. I recently had to get a new laptop and all I had to do was log in and redownload my games through Steam and all of my stuff and save files were still there. It completely eliminates the need to back up (often sizable) games. In addition, features like Steam Workshop mean that game companies do not have to pay to host their own download servers for user content (like N3V does). I think the appeal of Steam is it's a one-stop shop. For most games, everything you need is accessible through the platform.

You can buy Trainz and DLC's using your Steam wallet funds. Those that can't overseas transactions but still want the game can also buy it via Steam.
For my case, if it wasn't for N3V offering the PayPal option, my only way to get Trainz will be from Steam since my bank will decline any overseas transaction.
If the devs do remove the game, those that own it will still be able to keep it since it can still be run in single player mode. I personally like the Steam version as you really don't need a Auran account to launch and download the DLC's from Steam as its all authorised via Steam's servers.

I use the Steam version for content creation, as it has several features that N3V version doesn't offer.
I use the N3V version for Trainz + to beta test my content in.

Do people not realize that renting their games on steam means they can be taken away at any time for any or no reason?
N3V can do the same thing with their DRM... I don't understand this part of the question...

Cheers

Last edited:
I've used Steam since they started and I have over 700 purchases including both games and software. I've never had anything "taken away". Some of my purchases are no longer for sale but I can still install them just fine. I have TS12, TANE and TRS19 all through Steam as well as versions bought directly from N3V. To my knowledge, it is often the maker of the software that pulls it from Steam and not Steam.

The big advantage to me is that Steam has a feature to verify that all the files for a program are installed. If something is missing it automatically downloads and installs the missing files. This beats having to uninstall and then reinstall the whole program when something is causing crashes. Also, you always get the most up to date version. If I install TS12 on a new computer through Steam I get the last version installed ready to run. It also installs all the DLC I bought from Steam at the same time. When I start TS12, it downloads all my N3V purchases too. I recently tried to install TS12 from the files I downloaded from N3V and it was a 5 hour ordeal of patching and then one of the last patches failed leaving a huge mess.

William

I've had the dubious pleasure of Steams support or rather lack of it, won't bore anyone with the details was a long time ago however once bitten...... Bad Idea to have all your eggs in one basket anyway and IMO it's better to Pay N3V direct and support the developers rather than give a percentage to Valve, granted though it probably does get more customers for Trainz from the Steam obsessed. ;o)
There is nothing game wise from Steam that I count in the must have category.

Then of course there is this from January this year https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_170 Seems the EU are not happy.

The European Commission has fined Valve, owner of the online PC gaming platform “Steam”, and the five publishers Bandai Namco, Capcom, Focus Home, Koch Media and ZeniMax € 7.8 million for breaching EU antitrust rules.

No, they can't come to your house and revoke all your copies of previous trainz games dating back to trainz 1.0 from you. That's absurd and N3V would never do that. Steam can and might because its all online and for a unlucky few this actually happens if they don't like you enough.

Starting from TANE and newer, it uses online DRM (only exception is TANE box copies are DRM free from online) to authorise your usage for the game.
N3V can still revoke your access to Trainz just by removing your account permissions from the authorisations and therefore rendering TANE / TMR17 / TRS19 useless.

I've contacted Steam support once, and the person was friendly for me.
If Steam support threatens you, then it probably means you weren't professional when contacting them, as some will just give the attitude right back at you. Run8 support is like this. You must act professional else they'll just give it right back at you without really helping you.

Just an FYI, but it really helps to read license agreements, especially when creating an account as it also contains some important info. Same with privacy policies:)

Of course this is only my view:)

Cheers

Back