Strange noise with animals

Sounds like the sound effect for the sheep is clipping badly (that clicking sound) - usually a result of a bugged audio file or the program lagging in playing the file (from what I understand sound effects in Trainz are uncompressed WAV files so they should theoretically load immediately, but if you have lots of that same asset (in this case, a sheep) all close by, they're all trying to play their sound effect at the same time, which naturally can cause things to start to lag, thus the clicking sound (assuming those sheeps are lots of individual assets and not just a single group asset).

It's like if you try to open too many windows/tabs in Windows - one or two isn't going to be a problem but ten or more and things tart to slow down, and the more you add the more overloaded things get. Instead of using individual sheep assets close together, try looking for animal groups which should only play the one file and hopefully not have that audio clipping issue.

If you can find the .wav file, open it with a sound program like the free Audacity program. Then select all and choose Effects - Normalize, with the option to "Remove DC Offset" Checked. Usually this sound is caused because the sound file either does not start or does not end at zero. The above step will fix that. Unfortunately, with Audacity, you then have to select EXPORT - Export as WAV file, and have it overwrite the original. Then you can close the file and say "no" to saving the project. Audacity works in its own "project" file types.

Sounds like the sound effect for the sheep is clipping badly (that clicking sound) - usually a result of a bugged audio file or the program lagging in playing the file (from what I understand sound effects in Trainz are uncompressed WAV files so they should theoretically load immediately, but if you have lots of that same asset (in this case, a sheep) all close by, they're all trying to play their sound effect at the same time, which naturally can cause things to start to lag, thus the clicking sound (assuming those sheeps are lots of individual assets and not just a single group asset).

It's like if you try to open too many windows/tabs in Windows - one or two isn't going to be a problem but ten or more and things tart to slow down, and the more you add the more overloaded things get. Instead of using individual sheep assets close together, try looking for animal groups which should only play the one file and hopefully not have that audio clipping issue.

I think this is right. I play around with sound files for my route where there is a lot of farm animals, birds, and general nature sounds. Having too many individual sound files going off at the same time can cause the clipping effect. Since only one sheep is clipping by itself, I'd just cut off the sound at the source and use a different approach.

What I suggest is going to the config files of the sheep ( in this case) and remove the sound data. Using " Manage Content" , locate that one asset and open the config file, remove sound data and re-submit it. Find a sound editor on line ( I use Audacity) and do a search for a sheep herd sound effect and make a short clip for your own sound file. Replace those individual sheep sounds with one or two custom made sound files of a sheep herd and place them in the general area as the sheep but keep the sound files away from each other, and at different distances from the track. You'll get the same effect of many sheep with just one or two sound files going off. The only reason I mention two , is if you want more of a stereo sound .

Last edited:
Oddly enough, it only seems to occur with animals by Dinorius. I might as well replace them with animals by other users

Back