Trainz 2019 Steam Help

jeffy88

Hello,

I have the steam version of trainz 2019.
I have just recently built a new gaming pc. (Had to upgrade) and I know how steam is with save data and such. Now my question is. I have found the File Folder from my old PCs hard drive and it is now on the new PC but where do I put that file folder at to get the game to read the data.
Also does this mean I will still have to go back trough the download station to re-download all the assets I had or will the game recognize them with the files in said folder?
Any help is appreciated thanks.

jeffy88 - Locate the folder on the old drive that contains the TRS19 executable (TRS19.exe). This is the Program folder. It has a couple of other sub-directories (Data; Resources) and MAY (or May not) also contain your UserData folders and files.
Now locate the Trainz UserData folder to retrieve your previously downloaded DLS/ DLC etc and home-built routes and sessions, saved games, etc. (UserData Sub-folders include: backups, cache, editing, libraries, local, original, packages, screenshots).
Double-click the TRS19.exe executable to run the Launcher. In the Trainz Settings Install tab, add the path to your UserData folder.
Now you won't have to download all those DLS assets again or need to recreate your sessions and home-built routes.
Check first your Steam Libraries, however, to see if it has already matched up your TRS19 program with the right UserData folder paths automatically.

Last edited:
jeffy88 - Locate the folder on the old drive that contains the TRS19 executable (TRS19.exe). This is the Program folder. It has a couple of other sub-directories (Data; Resources) and MAY (or May not) also contain your UserData folders and files.
Now locate the Trainz UserData folder to retrieve your previously downloaded DLS/ DLC etc and home-built routes and sessions, saved games, etc. (UserData Sub-folders include: backups, cache, editing, libraries, local, original, packages, screenshots).
Double-click the TRS19.exe executable to run the Launcher. In the Trainz Settings Install tab, add the path to your UserData folder.
Now you won't have to download all those DLS assets again or need to recreate your sessions and home-built routes.
Check first your Steam Libraries, however, to see if it has already matched up your TRS19 program with the right UserData folder paths automatically.

It has not done anything automatically when i start the game its like a brand new game. i have found the folder with the files. but where do i need to put all the information in the new path and folders for the current download on this pc to get it to read the files?

Cool. What you need to do now is enter the path to your UserData folder in the Trainz Settings... Install tab (Local data folder) text box.
Suggest use the browse button ellipsis (...) to navigate to the folder so that it enters the path without typos.
Let's say for example that the old user folders and all your previously saved sessions, routes and games, etc. are still on your old hard disk or Solid State Drive now designated logical drive "D:", then the new path in the Install tab would now read something like: D:\TRS19_UserData assuming it was previously stored in a folder called 'TRS19_UserData' on the old PC.
(If it had one of those awkward, auto-generated names like 'build_Xyz23612y' assigned by the program during your initial installation of Trainz, then this is your chance to rename your UserData folder to something more descriptive and meaningful).
Once you have that path correctly shown, visit the Internet tab to ensure that your login details are correctly recorded. Exit the Settings dialog and exit TRS19 to save the new settings.
Upon restart, run a Quick Database Rebuild from the Developer Menu on Launcher. Upon completion, visit Content Manager to check for Updates and Faulty assets - and any assets open for edit etc. (revert those).
Should be good to go after that!
Good luck with this quest.

Last edited:
Cool. What you need to do now is enter the path to your UserData folder in the Trainz Settings... Install tab (Local data folder) text box.
Suggest use the browse button ellipsis (...) to navigate to the folder so that it enters the path without typos.
Let's say for example that the old user folders and all your previously saved sessions, routes and games, etc. are still on your old hard disk or Solid State Drive now designated logical drive "D:", then the new path in the Install tab would now read something like: D:\TRS19_UserData assuming it was previously stored in a folder called 'TRS19_UserData' on the old PC.
(If it had one of those awkward, auto-generated names like 'build_Xyz23612y' assigned by the program during your initial installation of Trainz, then this is your chance to rename your UserData folder to something more descriptive and meaningful).
Once you have that path correctly shown, visit the Internet tab to ensure that your login details are correctly recorded. Exit the Settings dialog and exit TRS19 to save the new settings.
Upon restart, run a Quick Database Rebuild from the Developer Menu on Launcher. Upon completion, visit Content Manager to check for Updates and Faulty assets - and any assets open for edit etc. (revert those).
Should be good to go after that!
Good luck with this quest.

Ive followed your step exactly and the game still isnt reading the data its still acting like a fresh install??

Sorry, jeffy88 - let's see what may be happening here...
All my versions of Trainz have been bought directly from N3V (Trainz Store) and not via Steam, so I'm not entirely sure of the storage situation/ location for your Local File Folder for TRS19 on Steam.
However, I have many Steam programs and games in 'Steam Libraries' spread over a few internal SSDs.
For each of these games, you'll typically find the program files stored in the Steam/steamapps/common/[Name of App] directory. For example, Red Dead Redemption II is in my C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Dead Redemption 2 folder.
For PC Computer Simulator, the game is to be found in my Steam Library on F: drive at F:\Steam\steamapps\common\PC Building Simulator - and the Saved games and UserData for this game are in a subfolder called 'Saves'
Can you check to see whether a similar directory structure and UserData storage was used by Steam on your old computer hard drive and whether the current Steam Properties & Setup dialog for your version of Trainz is pointing to the old or a new library location?
The folder structure for (Trainz) UserData should be similar to what I outlined in my first post above: - i.e. UserData Sub-folders include: backups, cache, editing, libraries, local, original, packages, screenshots
And the Trainz Settings dialog and Install tab structure should be the same on Steam as it is for N3V Trainz Store-sourced versions of TRS19.

Sorry, jeffy88 - let's see what may be happening here...
All my versions of Trainz have been bought directly from N3V (Trainz Store) and not via Steam, so I'm not entirely sure of the storage situation/ location for your Local File Folder for TRS19 on Steam.
However, I have many Steam programs and games in 'Steam Libraries' spread over a few internal SSDs.
For each of these games, you'll typically find the program files stored in the Steam/steamapps/common/[Name of App] directory. For example, Red Dead Redemption II is in my C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Dead Redemption 2 folder.
For PC Computer Simulator, the game is to be found in my Steam Library on F: drive at F:\Steam\steamapps\common\PC Building Simulator - and the Saved games and UserData for this game are in a subfolder called 'Saves'
Can you check to see whether a similar directory structure and UserData storage was used by Steam on your old computer hard drive and whether the current Steam Properties & Setup dialog for your version of Trainz is pointing to the old or a new library location?
The folder structure for (Trainz) UserData should be similar to what I outlined in my first post above: - i.e. UserData Sub-folders include: backups, cache, editing, libraries, local, original, packages, screenshots
And the Trainz Settings dialog and Install tab structure should be the same on Steam as it is for N3V Trainz Store-sourced versions of TRS19.

So I tried putting the save files in the steam folder on the hard drive that the game is currently installed on and still nothing. and ive also tried your first steps again in thoughts to me doing something incorrect and still the game will not read them. steam can be so frustrating with certain games sometimes on backing up saves.
now for american truck sim. i have to put the folder in the pcs documents area to get that game to read and its doing it just fine so i even tried that with Trainz 2019 and still nothing.........

Check the path of your current local data folder - it will be <something>\build xxxxx.
Go up one directory level and you'll most likely see another folder build yyyyy.
This is most likely your old folder.
Point your install to the old folder, then restart Trainz.
Double check that the build yyyy now shows in the Trainz Settings > Install path .
If it does, you've changed the local data folder. If it shows build xxxx then you did not close down Trainz fully before restarting

Check the path of your current local data folder - it will be <something>\build xxxxx.
Go up one directory level and you'll most likely see another folder build yyyyy.
This is most likely your old folder.
Point your install to the old folder, then restart Trainz.
Double check that the build yyyy now shows in the Trainz Settings > Install path .
If it does, you've changed the local data folder. If it shows build xxxx then you did not close down Trainz fully before restarting

Ive done this multiple times the exact way you told me. and still its not changing anything. who knows maybe the folder does not contain any data.all the old folder shows save data wise is a backup folder. so i thought me routing that folder would do it. but it hasnt. still just shows as a new game. so as i said maybe i will just have to start from scratch again.

jeffy88 - Yup - Unfortunately, it sounds like your old UserData folder does not contain all of the required files and folders.
As I stated twice earlier in this thread, the UserData Sub-folders include: backups, cache, editing, libraries, local, original, packages, screenshots plus quite a few individual, crucial files like keystore.tdx, asset-cache.tdx, assets.tdx, and content-store-task-list.tdx. (In most cases, GIGABYTES of data all up).
As a consequence, all you will now see are newly-generated standard files and folders consistent with a completely new installation.

You are indeed starting again from scratch unless you can find a full version of your old UserData folder that was COPIED to a new drive or location as a backup.
Do you have some .cdp format files saved from earlier routes and sessions you saved? That will help you to restore some of your old content at least...

Last edited:
Just to be clear, the Steam install handles the Trainz content folder the exact same way as the N3V versions. It is in the user/(username)/AppData/N3V Games folder as Tony said. The only thing that Steam changes is where the Program files are stored.

William

Well Thanks to those of you who tried to help.
sorry i tried to explain my self as best as i could im not that educated when it comes to saving files properly or moving files and stuff with steam games. but as i said i did what i was told for all the other games and they all have worked no problem. and i thought that i had saved the files from the old hard drive for this game correctly cause all i did was copy all folders pertaining to the game that was on there and saved them to this pc before installing that hard drive in the new pc which i had to reformat it for that to happen so all the files are gone from it now except what i saved so. i guess i have to start back over from scratch oh well.

Back