How do I delete assets physically?

Swordfish

New assets, especially routes, are very large, that is, they consume a lot of place on the harddisk. The harddisks have been getting larger too.

I know, deleting an asset in TRS2019 is only deleting it from the database, but not physically.

Is there a possibility to delete it physically?

Thank you very much for your answer in advance.

Regards

Swordfish

If it is deleted in CM then it is deleted. Only downloaded DLS or third party can be deleted, you cant delete built-in assets. DLC can be deleted from the trainz store or delete the relevant package from the package folder.

Routes and sessions are easily removed,
but the problem is the size of all extra content that remains and probably never gets used
here an example how you can cleanup with filters.
can be done a hundred ways but this is just 1

the list that now remains you can delete
greetings GM

Last edited:
Great filter! What I usually add is a filter on "Installed Date" that matches the install date of the route/session I am getting rid of.

--Ron

Great filter! What I usually add is a filter on "Installed Date" that matches the install date of the route/session I am getting rid of.

--Ron

There is a built-in Today filter that does the same thing. This has come to my rescue more than once.

There is a built-in Today filter that does the same thing. This has come to my rescue more than once.

Right you are! I usually end up deleting routes/sessions and their assets after I've had a chance to play around with them for a few days, so I have to use "Installed Date" instead of the Today filter. I'm still waiting for N3V's voice command interface so I can just say, "Delete that route and everything that came with it unless it's being used by another route...or session...or asset...or...

--Ron

But just what is "Today?" - Is "Today" midnight to midnight? And is it N3V time?, Server time?, East Coast USA time?.
"Today" really hasn't much meaning unless you know the time reference. Today where you are may have been yesterday on the system.
Do we know what the timestamps are based on?

1611mac - Pretty sure that it references your local time (i.e. In the time elapsed since 12 midnight...)
Based on your system clock. (In the same way that this forum shows that my response to your forum query was timed at 12:08am 'today' - (Wednesday 14th April) which is most certainly many hours in your future if you are USA-based). :)

Last edited:
Right you are! I usually end up deleting routes/sessions and their assets after I've had a chance to play around with them for a few days, so I have to use "Installed Date" instead of the Today filter. I'm still waiting for N3V's voice command interface so I can just say, "Delete that route and everything that came with it unless it's being used by another route...or session...or asset...or...

--Ron

We wish it would be so easy! ;)

I've gone in and changed the dates (Yeah you can do that too) so I can check previous dates.

Now it if I can figure out how to set a date range let's say installed or modified on April 1st and the current date, that would be very helpful.

Yeah, that's why I use that rather long filter (think its possible to save a filter?)
If i get a route it often takes me a week to complete (never had or wanted a FCT)
actually as cheap Dutch Euroversion user I never ever get anything complete haha.

Then a week goes by where I fiddle and test drive the route.
In the mean time, there is a chance I used some item from that set in another route.
so neither just today, or time period alone will cut it.
But the main thing, do maintenance regularly

Lets hope N3v will built-in a nifty remove route/session in the future
(who said hope is postponed disappointment?)
greetings GM

Last edited:
Yeah, that's why I use that rather long filter (think its possible to save a filter?)
If i get a route it often takes me a week to complete (never had or wanted a FCT)
actually as cheap Dutch Euroversion user I never ever get anything complete haha.

Then a week goes by where I fiddle and test drive the route.
In the mean time, there is a chance I used some item from that set in another route.
so neither just today, or time period alone will cut it.
But the main thing, do maintenance regularly

Lets hope N3v will built-in a nifty remove route/session in the future
(who said hope is postponed disappointment?)
greetings GM

Yes we can save filters. :)

I agree on the maintenance which I've started doing given all the old stuff I have. The problem is I started looking at some of the assets using the preview window and found that even some of the oldest ones aren't so bad-looking and I ended up keeping them, besides, some of them bring back memories of when I downloaded them of good times back then so more assets remain than get removed.

Back