Toronto Lakeshore West

Although it's not pictured, one thing that surprises me is that no one has made a VIA park car even though there are reskins of the CP one in fictitious liveries such as CN and Amtrak.

Gisa:
Those are some really great station pics! I wasn't planning on going into that much detail, but now I'm not so sure!!!!

I guess it's a balance between looks and performance.

Rob:
That's a very generous offer, and I may just take you up on those pics! Or even if you want to post them either here or in a new thread, that might be pretty cool too. It seems that they're tripling the track from Port Credit west, so I'm not sure whether to go ahead and guess what it will end up like or leave it as it is presently. I think I'll probably keep it as a double line for now, but perhaps with the construction underway. I was canoeing under the Credit River bridge a few days back and they've alreay started putting in the foundations for another bridge, so it looks like it's going to happen! I'm still not sure what I'll use for that really unique-looking steel bridge, but I'm sure I can work something out!

I'll keep y'all posted as to the progress.

n

Thanks for the compliments Neil. It does tend to slow down in that area, mind you my comp is starting to get older and it's time for a dual core and memory upgrade (sometime soon hopefully). I also had elevators in the station which are animated but yeah, gotta have that too...

As for the Credit River bridge...well why not build it as you see it (in terms of it being built?) :D You could always update the route at a future date to reflect the changes. I think that that would make the route feel extremely "real" which floats some peoples boats. :hehe: There are several skilled people here who could make that type of bridge and even one under construction. A fellow member here, Bendorsey (perhaps you've heard of him) might be the guy to talk to (if you can't find a similar looking alternative).

What? You need a pic? Well here you go (and a good looking train shot if I do say so myself ;) ).

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=155710&nseq=1

:wave:

Gisa ^^

I'm really enjoying shots from all of these routes! They look great. Keep up the good work!

Although it's not pictured, one thing that surprises me is that no one has made a VIA park car even though there are reskins of the CP one in fictitious liveries such as CN and Amtrak.

There is a VIA Park car available. In fact, there is a whole set of VIA cars created by the same person who made the CPR set that is included with TRS2006. Of course, it's payware and intended for TRS2004, so it may not be of much help...
http://zip.phpwebhosting.com/~austin316hoc/mcr/index.php

When you purchase the CPR set, you get access to a set of VIA and Amtrak cars as well. The VIA set does work in TRS2006, but I'm not sure how you'd go about getting it seperately if you already have TRS2006. It would be neat if the author would offer separate "packs".

Patrick

Got a few new progress pics.

Exhibition Station.

West from the Bathurst St. bridge.

By neilsmith749 at 2007-09-30

Great pics neil, you've done a superb job with the available content.

Have you got enough pics to continue eastbound. I was thinking if you need more I can go visit the Toronto Archives and grab some shots of their most current aerial photos.
Although I imagine Google Earth would give the same results.
Let me know.

Great pics neil, you've done a superb job with the available content.

Have you got enough pics to continue eastbound. I was thinking if you need more I can go visit the Toronto Archives and grab some shots of their most current aerial photos.
Although I imagine Google Earth would give the same results.
Let me know.

Hey Dave

Thanks for the offer! I've pretty much finished the trackwork on the west side of Union station - it may not be entirely accurate, because I couldn't see a small portion by the dome, but I think it's pretty close. Anything I couldn't see, I just used some logic, and estimated guesses.

As far as continuing further east, that may be a little in the future still.

I think if anything, I may try to continue west first out towards Hamilton - mainly because that allows expansion of the Milton line at a later date.

Who knows, maybe even the OBRR from Streetsville up to Orangeville could be added - but that's a LONG time in the future.

n

THAT would be cool as I grew up/family lives right behind the OBRR. :D

It'd be awesome to see the full lakeshore line and a few others incorporated, but yeah that's a lot of work to do. You are doing a great job so far! Keep it up! :)

Gisa ^^

Another update

Well, I don't have any pics for this update, but I'd just like to report that the Toronto Union section has gone much better than expected!

The section is basically done except for adding ground clutter and foliage.

After adding some(many, actually) signals, and a few trackmarks, I tried testing it and even Alistair behaved well!

I'm fairly pleased with the results so far, and hopefully others can enjoy it as well in the future.

So far, the "completed" section stretches from about 2 kms east of Union, to just west of Kipling Ave, which is probably about 20kms. Once I finish the peripheral scenery mentioned above, I'll be heading west through Long Branch, Port Credit, and over to Clarkson, which will be the next tough area, with the Petrocan refinery spur. After that, it'll be off to Oakville, and the Ford plant as well as the long industry/St.Lawrence cement spur.

Stay tuned...

n

Westbound towards Long Branch

Heading West into Union Station.
tlw013zv6.jpg

By neilsmith749 at 2007-10-16

Crossing over towards track 4.
tlw014fc7.jpg

"Toronto Union, this stop, Toronto Union".........
tlw016ts3.jpg

Heading under cover.
tlw017et7.jpg

Exiting Union Station, heading west towards Exhibition.
tlw018uf4.jpg

More track "spaghetti"!
tlw019ky0.jpg

To be continued...

Heading towards High Park.
tlw028gn1.jpg

Crossing Windermere Ave.
tlw029av4.jpg

Crossing the Humber River.
tlw030hw1.jpg

Going under the Gardiner Expressway.
tlw031kb8.jpg

Approaching Mimico Stn.
tlw032qt8.jpg

"Mimico, this stop, Mimico"
tlw033kw4.jpg

"Long Branch, next stop, Long Branch"
tlw034ds2.jpg

Passing by the GO and VIA Mtce facilities.
tlw035yg3.jpg

Heading away from CANPA Jct.
tlw036cd1.jpg

"Long Branch, this stop, Long Branch" - Approaching Brown's Line.
tlw037qz1.jpg

That's all for now.

Thanks - It's been a pretty tough challenge, as I'm trying to make everything to scale. It's not perfect, and many of the industry names are ficticious, but all in all, it's going pretty well.

I think phase one is about half done.

I'll post more in a month or two, when I've made some more progress.

n

Floored by this thread. The route is looking very realistic. Many of my train/Trainz related events happen far west of Toronto, meaning I end up having take the GO train to get to them. Which means I know that area or stretch of track quite well.

So the layout looks quite recognizable. Well done.

On another note, someone was asking about the VIA "Park" series observation cars. I created the set, and they are available. Contact me through the e-mail button below this post if you're interested in a set, they cost $12 US. They aren't available on my site anymore.

Floored by this thread. The route is looking very realistic. Many of my train/Trainz related events happen far west of Toronto, meaning I end up having take the GO train to get to them. Which means I know that area or stretch of track quite well.

So the layout looks quite recognizable. Well done.

On another note, someone was asking about the VIA "Park" series observation cars. I created the set, and they are available. Contact me through the e-mail button below this post if you're interested in a set, they cost $12 US. They aren't available on my site anymore.
Yeah there great I bought them 2 years and have basically run the wheels off of them, its just to bad you never did the multimark scheme.

Wow Neil...wow! I don't know what to say...some of those pictures are just stunning to say the least! It really feels like you've captured the essence of this route as far as I can see. :D

This is currently my favourite thread to see! :) Thank you for taking the time to take the screens and to put them up here for our viewing pleasure. It makes for a tasty appetizer to what should be a very delicious dinner. :D

Keep up the great work!

Gisa ^^

I want them. But do they work in '06?
Where's the e-mail button?

Wow! Those screenshots are amazing. I'm not much for prototypical routes, but I might just give this one a try when it's ready!:)

I want them. But do they work in '06?
Where's the e-mail button?

Click on his username. There should be an option to send e-mail there.
I have the VIA cars, and they work perfectly in 06. They are basically the same as the built-in CPR Budd cars, so it would be rather odd if they didn't work.

Patrick

Back