Six Axel (sic) Locomotives

SharkNose

I just snapped this pic today on the old Trenton Industrial Track, Ewing, New Jersey. There's quite a lot going on here.

1. I apologize for the discarded WaWa coffee cup (in between the rails). It's not mine.
  2. The misspelling of the word "axle" on the sign. An "axel" is a figure skating move, which I have never seen any locomotives doing. If indeed a locomotive has done a six axel, then it's a world record. I will contact Guinness after I've posted this. The most a human can do is a triple axel.
  3. More seriously, a close look at the rail joint there explains everything. A heavier rail leads off the CSX Trenton Line and joined here to a lighter rail. I thought the six axle limit was because the track and bed is very poor here, but it's because the lighter rail can't handle heavier locomotives. I've never before noticed a joint like this.

Just goes to show that you can learn something new every day.

Cheers! :wave:

Andrew

Six_Axel600.jpg (click to enlarge)

Last edited:
If i can find the picture ill send one that i took near me. Its an even weirder set up, there is a CSX Branch (Hanover Sub), the shortline York Rail breaks off at porters, and for about 500-1000 feet to give a rough estimate the rail size gets smaller and then gains size. There are no industries in this area, the track just degrades and upgrades for no reason. Luckly YRC doesnt have any six axle units, which could get messy there.

Wow,,,,,Such a cool Photo,,,,,,,,I have never seen a transition Rail Joint like that one either.....Now that I have, I will keep an eye out,,,,Thank you for sharing...........:cool:

Wow! I've seen step-down rail joints but not that much of a difference. The rail I saw went from 120-something down to 85 lb. for the siding.

What's with all the old ties in the background? Is CSX upgrading the line, or was there once other tracks or yard there?

The spelling is classic!

I've been away from this area for 6 years and CSX has done a lot! The coordinates are 40.261699, -74.811389 if you want to look on Google Earth or something. There used to be trees right there where the pile of ties are. Many old tracks existed here and they ripped many of them up. It was a very messy maintenance yard and set off track for CSX. CSX and the SEPTA commuter line used to shared the double line here, but now CSX has the more eastern track all for itself now. It doglegs around the SEPTA yard. I remember some heated arguments between the CSX and SEPTA dispatchers over the radio scanner when they shared the line on who had priority. It's just as well they each have their own track now.

Thank you for the coordinates. I followed the branch down to the nearest crossings and it looks like it's now all overgrown compared to earlier shots. Either CSX is going to rip it up, or they're going to do some heavy maintenance on it again.

Back