Things you do while wating for your route to load.

JimDep

Here's what I do to pass the time while waiting for my route to load. Maybe you do this too.

While tapping out the beat, using my right foot for the bass drum, I sing " The Girl from Ipanema " while counting down the beat from 20 to zero. ..and repeat. Including the bridge, it goes around 4 times. I've finally got it to where I end up on the number 8 every time at the end of the tune. The route , however is still loading by the time I'm done, so I repeat the tune several times until it loads.

There's a few things going on here.
1. I'm getting really good at ending the song on the same number and counting down from 20.
2. Why this song ? No idea.
3. The route is getting too big.
4. I'm losing whatever sanity that I thought I had.
5. All of the above

So .....what do YOU do ?

JimDep - Great routine, but sounds like a great excuse to build a new, faster game computer to me.
Your route and sessions are only likely to get bigger and more complex, so why wait? ;)

I just measured the loading time of my current project (300+ baseboards, 191MB asset size according to CM). It is almost exactly 2 minutes and getting longer as I add TurfFX and Clutter.

During that time I load up the supporting web pages that I have created and their source text files but that usually gives me 30-45 seconds to "twiddle my thumbs", check my phone, pat the cat and wonder why the governments here, which did incredibly well on keeping Covid-19 out of the country and controlling it when it did get in, have managed to completely stuff up the rollout of the vaccines (but that is probably a political statement and may not allowed here).

My thoughts.

JimDep - Great routine, but sounds like a great excuse to build a new, faster game computer to me.
Your route and sessions are only likely to get bigger and more complex, so why wait? ;)

Yeah, it does sound like the route is outgrowing the PC. Why wait ?........just the money.

I just measured the loading time of my current project (300+ baseboards, 191MB asset size according to CM). It is almost exactly 2 minutes and getting longer as I add TurfFX and Clutter.

During that time I load up the supporting web pages that I have created and their source text files but that usually gives me 30-45 seconds to "twiddle my thumbs", check my phone, pat the cat and wonder why the governments here, which did incredibly well on keeping Covid-19 out of the country and controlling it when it did get in, have managed to completely stuff up the rollout of the vaccines (but that is probably a political statement and may not allowed here).

My thoughts.

That will work. With all the waiting time, I too had too much time to contemplate all the negative world problems going , so..... I replaced it with The Girl from Ipenema routine.. I pet the cats during this time too........sneaking in a fast rubs in between beats.

The tablet is showing TV or a movie usually anyway, set up below the screen. If the route is loading, and the TV is on a commercial, I look at my phone. There is usually a cat involved, too.

I end up closing my eyes "for just a couple of minutes". Those couple of minutes ends up with me taking a nap and getting back to editing later on!

Gee pware your route is almost as big as mine. Only 171mb so far but a lot more boards, though less than 20% landscaped so far. I just timed it, 4 minutes to load, which time was spend reading these forums, which takes longer! Usually I'm having breakfast anyway. I'm wondering if there's an easier way to count the boards..... :eek:

My main route and session NederlandWest.v7 loads in under 3 minutes (build 100240)
Route 460mb, session 12mb, 43 driving trains, 5k+ baseboards (no PBR)
local folder is on a m2.SDD (direct on mobo)
a sanitation break, make senseo coffee or get a beer is possible :)
greetings GM

Back