Game locks up if paused for longer than a couple minutes.

autodctr

When driving, I cannot pause the game longer than about a minute or it locks up and the only way out is to end it using task manager. When in Surveyor, leaving it sit for a few minutes will cause the same outcome. My screensaver is disabled. Any ideas?

That's a new one.
What build number? Can you open Content Manager? Do the game menus respond? The X to exit?

I am not in Windows right now, but has the latest SP installed. I have not tried X to exit, but everything is locked: my only option is Task Manager to end.

Build is 110491. Tried it again: paused for 5 minutes: everything is locked.

Barring a hardware problem, are there any assertions errors even though the assertion errors are turned off?

I had that occur back a couple of versions ago and I reported the error and the QA Team took care of that in the subsequent version.

If it's hardware this could be heat-related. Ensure your CPU and GPU temperature are low enough within their operating range.

Might also be a disk issue, worth checking with Hard Disk Sentinel. (trial version reverts to free and is just as useful.)

I have no idea what you mean when you say "assertion errors". Sorry. As for a hardware issue, I seriously doubt that since I have no other issues at all. The game is running completely from an SSD and all temps are way below maximums. I can drive 9 trains for hours w/o any heat build up at all.

Granted it's unusual but SSDs can go wrong or develop faults, a friend of Mine has just had two 1TB Samsung QVO's replaced that are a few months old, both started randomly causing lock ups and eventually lost data, not what you would expect from Samsung.

May be stating the obvious but have you tried a full database repair?

Assertions are what you get during Beta Testing when there is a bug detected, you can take a screenshot and report it, then ignore it and carry on.

Doesn't make sense to be the SSD since this only happens in Trainz and only when pausing for an extended period.

Doesn't make sense to be the SSD since this only happens in Trainz and only when pausing for an extended period.

Probably not, I've never had any problems with SSDs and I have a couple of fairly old ones in two of my PCs as boot drives that are 10 years old (OCZ Agilty 3s) and still going strong! maybe not quite as fast as newer ones but still pretty speedy.

So it happens only when pausing? That makes me think something else is happening when Windows thinks there is no activity, there's not a program has stopped responding popup hiding behind the Trainz screen?
Next time it happens have a look at Performance Monitor (from Task Manager) and see if anything is occurring on your Trainz SSD like an AV scanning or even TRS19 going through all the files?

Locked up again. Was paused for about 5 minutes. Task manager showed total of about 8% CPU usage with Trainz accounting for about 5%. Both numbers fluctuating about 1.5%. Nothing else showing anything really. Several Win programs running but very little usage of memory or CPU. No programs stopped responding.

This just keeps getting worse and worse. I went into the logs. I could probably have spent the rest of today and most of tomorrow reading them. Didn't see a whole lot that meant anything to me. So, I deleted them and figured I would run the game and see what happened and what new logs were generated. Now, I have this message appear as soon as I open the game: "Please note: one or more developer settings are active which may negatively impact gameplay."

I also looked around and found hundreds of files opened for edit. Why? I have never opened a file to even try and edit anything. So, I closed them all: a couple hundred. Now, I have a few old layouts that have errors.

I absolutely hate this. I assumed that this "game" would be just what I wanted when I bought 2017. And it was: no problems. So then I purchased 2019 and all was good. Then came the SP2 and all hell broke lose: layouts were borked for variuos reasons. Some I managed to get fixed but others just got deleted out of anger and wasted time. Now, more layouts ruined. I spend weeks and months building things that take milliseconds to get destroyed.

Am I playing the wrong model train simulator? Is there something better out there for me? I use NO AI at all. All I want is what I had as a child 50 years ago: put a bunch of trains on a platform and watch them run. For hours. No derailing, no probs whatsoever. That is what I want now: no probs. I have the opposite.

Make sure you touched nothing other than advanced developer tools to turn on the show logs function and to enable Trainz Util. You want to always run in maximum compatibility mode. Using anything else, will cause scripted assets to stop working such as various driver commands, signals, stations, and other interactive assets.

OK: that is one problem: I did chose Maximum Performance. I will change that back. But, what about everything else that I or the game borked? Earlier today, I had nothing listed in Faulty: now there are several pages of faulty items.

Where are the backups kept and how do I get to them and use them to undo everything that has happened today?

OK: that is one problem: I did chose Maximum Performance. I will change that back. But, what about everything else that I or the game borked? Earlier today, I had nothing listed in Faulty: now there are several pages of faulty items.

Where are the backups kept and how do I get to them and use them to undo everything that has happened today?

I think doing a database repair will solve that along with revert to original on those that don't repair. You may have to change from faulty to installed then come back to faulty in Content Manager to refresh the database.

That got a bunch back, but I still have about 80 of them that will not become "unfaulty". AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH.

Try right select all the faulties then Right Click, Revert to original, if they don't appear to change, close everything then restart and see if anything has changed, alternatively after reverting to original often opening in preview asset or just clicking the item seems to clear the fault.

Back