Installed, Payware (not active)

HPL

After Coal Country, Leadville, Lone Pine Branch and others, now the Class 70 Colas Rail is "Installed, Payware (not active)". And once again it cannot be activated in the Content Vault as there is no trace of the DLC. Each time N3V says there is a glitch for one particular item but the issue appears again and again. When will this problem be definetely fixed?

We've fixed several glitches - I'll investigate what happened this time. The automated system was fully tested after the last problem and worked fine.
Meanwhile, the item has been updated manually and all I can do for now is apologize.

She appeared in Content Vault today, I selected her and it said "Access Granted". That was 7 hours ago. She is still "Installed, Payware (not active)". What's going on now?

What's going on now?
>>
Well, since you asked :)

Yesterday (Friday) most the team were working on the SP3 release and came across a couple of issues in MPS that hadn't been identified. So that was the main priority (to work out the extent of the problems, what to do and when regarding the release).
Zec, who recently took over the release process for DLC in addition to his helpdesk and content creation work, was on holiday that week meaning his workload was shared around other staff.
I saw that the manual step to add the Resource ID to Content Vault hadn't been done, so that was the "item has been updated manually" step in my last post.
I didn't check further as SP3 was our main priority.
Upon seeing your post today (Saturday), I checked Zec's open task in our project management system regarding the release and saw that there were a couple of other steps not yet processed through TCCP (i.e. the automated parts).
I had assumed that since the store part was complete that these parts were also complete.

This is the first time he's been on holiday whilst having this role, so as his manager I take responsibility for not redistributing all his tasks to others.
So we've learnt that even with automated processes, you still need someone to press the button at the right time,
I have now checked all the steps to ensure the item is available in-game for those that have already claimed the item in the Content Vault.

Of course the good news is that you've helped us get this sorted out long before Monday when Zec returns. :)

TLDR: Too many tasks, not enough staff, management working in the business and not on the business.

You are like the pilots who depended on the Boeing flight control system. Too much dependency and it cost them, and their passengers, their lives. The human factor is difficult to replace due to subtle activities by the human to keep things working. Creating a comprehensive process to cover those subtleties is a challenge since the employee may not even realize that they do some rote things in a certain way.

You are like the pilots who depended on the Boeing flight control system. Too much dependency and it cost them, and their passengers, their lives. The human factor is difficult to replace due to subtle activities by the human to keep things working. Creating a comprehensive process to cover those subtleties is a challenge since the employee may not even realize that they do some rote things in a certain way.

Well said. I worked for an organization that downsized to about the size of N3V before they sadly met their demise. It wasn't due to company giving up, but instead their industry caved in the Great Recession. Anyway. As my time went on from IT support and system and network administration to picking up other roles including order administration and customer administration, logistics and inventory control, MIS reporting, and purchasing along with service contract administration and parts management. I spent most of my day, what felt like, spinning in my chair as I jumped from one role to another. The order and customer administration was a full-time position in its self and entailed not only data entry but also international shipping, delivery coordination and other subtle things that were never documented by anyone until I did it.

After continuing at this pace for nearly 5 years, I was given a mandatory vacation because I had accrued over 300-plus hours of vacation and I needed to run out the accrued time. I was given a nice big check, well over $6400 after taxes, and told to get lost. My manager at the time took over my role. One of my tasks in the IT end of the business was to document everything I did. I wrote out step-by-step procedures on doing backups, rebooting servers, and other things in case I wasn't around. I included pictures and diagrams as well as necessary contact numbers in case things blew up beyond what a simple reboot would handle. In addition to the IT side, I also wrote out instructions for the order processing and administration end. I didn't bother with service contracts because they were done monthly and at this point weren't necessary.

I went on my month long storm chasing trip with Silver Lining Tours and covered well over 15,000 miles of the Great Plains, Rockies and western Ozarks. It was quite an enjoyable trip. During my trip, however, I received a call because a server wouldn't boot. This was one thing I forgot to include in the instructions! The drives had a tendency on those old HP servers to wiggle loose due to the clamshell clips slipping. I spoke with the General Manager who was in the office that day and warned him of the blood blister that accompanies the reseat. He reseated the drive while I was on the phone and I heard the audible OUCH! as he got bit! Other than that, the rest of that operation ran fine and nothing blew up.

Then there was the order admin side... My manager handled that. He half-did the job because he "knew everything". He also didn't bother closing a month's worth of orders until I returned because he was unsure how to do that. Really! I had left instructions on how to do that, but he didn't bother to read... Shortly after that, he was tasked for something else and was asked to leave. I think this was a test for him.

Anyway. The biggest saver, when implemented and followed, is instructions. I know that written instructions take time, but doing them and implementing them is important and keeps things from totally falling down even with an unforeseen event.

Thanks, everything is fine now (Saturday 8AM GMT).

Likewise ok here, not sure though why there are now 2 copies of each class 70 showing in purchased both as installed, there is only actually one of each installed, minor issue I guess ;o)

Back