I vaporised 9 days work

lewisner

Hello everybody. Today I opened my modified ECML route which I have been working on for several weeks. For some reason I don't understand, I got a window with a warning in red to either Use or Revert Changes. I am probably thick/getting old but apparently I clicked the wrong one and I vaporised 9 days work since my last save to CDP on 31.3.2021. I've resigned myself to the fact that I have utterly wasted 90 hours of intricate work but when I try to open one of the Sessions I get the same warning again, as below. Which one do I click or does it make any difference now that the Route is wrecked ?

20210408_123142 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

In the first cae you should have selected 'use changes'. By selecting revert you lost all the recent work. However you should have backups unless you disabled that option which, well let's just say that's a bad idea. If you go in your local folder, there is a subfolder called backups and you should find one within the last 24 hours of this mishap. Make a copy of the current, if lacking route and put into a CDP. then and ONLY then delete the route, then copy/drag the backup tzarc folder into CM. Then do a DBR. Others may have more specific info, I've only done it once. If you're building a route you should have frequent saves to CDP encase something like this happens, cause you know it will. Good luck.

That can happen after a crash or a something went wrong during saving and it's still open for edit. At a guess you picked use changes, that's risky if you don't know what happened safer to revert.
Revert changes should revert back to the last actual save, should be a copy in the backup folders assuming you haven't turned them off, the latest will have the kuid others some incomprehensible name, I would not try the one from the date it went wrong as you may be restoring the broken one but a day or two before, do this for both route and session. instructions for restoring backups here: https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Manage_Backups

Restoring from a backup is just a case of dragging the folder onto Manage Contents main window and the committing it as it will be open for edit. No guarantees it will work though.

Revert changes is equivalent to revert to original in Manage content.

Use changes can result in a broken route depending on why it didn't save.

In the first cae you should have selected 'use changes'. By selecting revert you lost all the recent work. However you should have backups unless you disabled that option which, well let's just say that's a bad idea. If you go in your local folder, there is a subfolder called backups and you should find one within the last 24 hours of this mishap. Make a copy of the current, if lacking route and put into a CDP. then and ONLY then delete the route, then copy/drag the backup tzarc folder into CM. Then do a DBR. Others may have more specific info, I've only done it once. If you're building a route you should have frequent saves to CDP encase something like this happens, cause you know it will. Good luck.

You're a star ! I have found a backup dated last night at 23.41 so if I can install that , I have lost nothing. I've saved the route to a CDP but when I go to delete it, it says I will lose all sessions and savegames. This won't affect the backup will it ?
I know I should save to CDP frequently but like many people my life has been a world of hurt for the last year so I don't always do the rational thing.

Well at the moment I'm no better or worse off. I dragged the backup folder to CM , it did something automatically and listed a whole load of "New Assets". I submitted edits for everything that was opened for edit and clicked Rebuild Database. The Route shows up in CM with the suffix Autosave and two warnings in the window as shown but does not show up in the My Content tab in the Launcher. I don't understand what the precache warning means.

20210408_175924 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

You may have restored the wrong route, meaning a quick save and not the route its self.

Try others that are in the backup Look for your exact kuid number for the route and any sessions you have created and restore those. I have made the same exact mistake before and it's annoying.

To make things easier, I use TZarchiver from VVMM...

TZarchiver v1.2 - Trainz Romania (tapatalk.com)

The application has no install.

It'll put the extracted asset (route, etc.) into the folder it's run from so I recommend creating a shortcut and working with that so you can run it from anywhere.

When the program runs, it has two windows. You drag your .tzarc file you want to extract.

On the right hand side, the window will show the contents of the archive file.

Click on Extract Tzarc.

This will extract the asset (route, etc.) to a folder with the kuid name in spaces like this for example kuid 2 124863 23482 1

You can then drag this kuid-folder into content manager or use the File > Import > Content Folder ... and browse for the asset you want to install.

Precache errors you can normally ignore, that <kuid:-2:1> is odd. -2 is what you get if creating an asset in an unregistered version or missing username and password? wondering if TRS19 went offline for some reason and saved the route as a -2? in the backup folder not that it's going to be any help, try a backup from a different date? say a day or two before this all went wrong may not be obvious as may have a weird looking name with number and letters, that's worked for me in the past when I crashed due to switching off the wrong power socket! The latest backup just had a config with nothing in it! but I found an actual backup that worked in a folder with an incomprehensible name.

Thanks for your replies.
@Jcitron I tried clicking on the link with little idea what I was doing and tried downloading what seemed the appropriate part of it but when I save it and try to open it I get told that Windows cannot open this type of file. I don't want to download Yarnex whatever that is, as I ran a search on it and some say its security is dubious.

@clam1952 all of this stuff is incomprehensible to me ! When I open the backup folder 21-04-07 this is what I see. The route is KUID number 154344:100302 but there's no way it will show up in my routes. I'm beginning to think I may just have to swallow the pill that I have lost my work and do it all again, if I can be bothered which I am not sure I can.

20210408_210451 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Yandex isn't what you're interested in. The download has changed we used to be able to download just that, but apparently that's not case so instead click on Download all.

That will download that plus a lot of other useful utilities in a regular zip file. The download is big though, weighing in at 57 MB or so.

Back