GMAX error message

JimDep

Hi,
I'm getting a " mtlgen.dlt file is missing " error when trying to open my project . The only thing I did differently than usual is creating a short cut to the file folder for my desktop. I edited a texture in the short cut folder, but the new edits didn't show up in the project when I opened GMAX. I cut and pasted the newly edited texture from the short cut back in the actual folder, went to reopen GMAX and that's when the error started. Now when I go into GMAX, the saved GMAX file is missing completely. When I click on the gmax file created in the short cut folder, that's when I get the mtlgen.dlt missing file error message. I copied the GMAX file from the short cut back into the normal folder and it didn't make any difference. I went on line for a solution and not coming up with anything that works.

thanks,
Jim

Thanks for looking into this for me ! Much appreciated.

All the links I looked at kept taking me back to one or two old threads that didn't address it well. Hopefully, this will be different. For some reason, just making a short cut folder for the project I've been working on messed it up. I can still access my other GMAX assets, but not this one...it doesn't want to open it or the back ups I made of it.

Could be just a bad save as Gmax dose that.

I don't think that it's a bad save being that the backup I made of it doesn't open either. It's not making any sense. The error message started happened right after I cut and pasted an edited texture from the desk top short-cut folder back into the root directory folder. The reason I cut and pasted that bmp texture file from the short cut folder is because the GMAX project didn't show the edits I'd done. That was the first sign that something wasn't right. I'd done it that way using the short cut folder plenty of times before with no problem, but all of a sudden GMAX got squirrely.

Last edited:
Ah shoot. I should have started this thread in Content Creation Support. Move it on over please.

BTW, no success yet. The GMAX path structure on the C drive is more fragile than I knew, so I'm not going to mess around with it. The next time I'll be aware when setting up a short cut folder for that particular content project. I was hoping to find some reason it did that, to avoid making the same mistake. Right now, it doesn't make sense to me and I'll just have to live with it.

Have you got the GMAXLOC variable in environment variables? Think that's related to the problem although I may be wrong!

Should be GMAXLOC under Variable and X:\gmax X being the drive / path you have installed Gmax in.

Environment variable can be found by:

Settings.
System.
About (scroll down to botom to see it).
Advanced system settings (on the right hand side)
Environment Variables
Top box click new
Insert the Variable name and value in the appropriate boxes.
OK.

Have you got the GMAXLOC variable in environment variables? Think that's related to the problem although I may be wrong!

Should be GMAXLOC under Variable and X:\gmax X being the drive / path you have installed Gmax in.

Environment variable can be found by:

Settings.
System.
About (scroll down to botom to see it).
Advanced system settings (on the right hand side)
Environment Variables
Top box click new
Insert the Variable name and value in the appropriate boxes.
OK.

Hmmm.........I don't know if I do or not. I'll look for it. Since then, I just started over on that asset from the beginning and recreated it. I'd still like to know what happened to not make that mistake again. Thanks for the update.

I gave up on Gmax back in 2009, Blender is so much better.

Probably so, but for me, I'm familiar enough with GMAX that I can pretty much make the structures I'm wanting for my route. I looked into Blender years ago, but the setup was confusing to me. For not making anything other than mostly buildings / houses / small items like lanterns (for example), what would be the benefit of learning /using Blender ? I have asked this question on the forums before but didn't' get an answer.

Now if I could make fireflies to fly around a swamp and blink on and off at night with blender , I'd take the time to learn it ! :udrool:

Gmax can be very touchy sometimes. Like a spoiled wife. Something will happen, she'll give you the silent treatment, and you just sit back and wonder "What'd I do??"

You too, eh ? I sit back and say to myself " having some fun now"...and sigh

Blender (as of 2.8) has a much friendler ui, akin to that of Gmax/3DSMax. You can do PBR easily with it, and you have way more control over what your making then gmax, and uvmapping isn't a pain in the tushy. I still use 2.78 (yes, ik quite old), but blender has so many advantages over gmax, there's too many to count. Major benefits are imports and exporters to quickely get models you need in or out of blender, and baking AO mappings.

Also, if i'm not mistaken, you should be able to rig fireflys to lattices and shrink them down to make it appear that they simulate a pulse blink.

Back