TRC Crossing In A Curve?

geno1005

I am building an industrial switching area on a layout and like a lot of such areas, I have several tight industry sidings where the track needs to cross the road in a curve. I have found a work around to overlay two different TRC crossings at angles when I can manage a stretch of straight track at something other than the 90 and 30 degree angles provided, but I am at the point that the rest really need to cross on curved track.

Is there a trick that I'm missing to accomplish this? I would drop back and use the older crossing system, but as I recall those don't work very well when the train doesn't just enter one side of the crossing and exit the other. Because these are mostly dead end industrial tracks, that will almost never be the case. The train will normally occupy the crossing, then reverse back out before ever clearing the crossing.

I could even use something as simple as some sort of 'occupancy detector'...activate the signals and stop the traffic as long as there is part of a train between these two points (which is actually how the prototype tends to work in these industrial areas anyway), but I know of no such system either.

Any creative solutions to my situation?

Thanks in advance!

Geno

Something of a problem I've experienced. I haven't come up with a solution but you post got me to thinking about Vincentrh's TRC assets I've barely looked at. I see he has an invisible crossing with 30° and -30° versions. All you'd need is to use his <kuid2:458053:100686:16> TRC 3 Trigger for closure of rail crossing which can be set to trigger from 50 metres (150ft) to a maximum of 1600 metres (1 mile), and add suitable gates or lights, so may be worth a look.

I had a similar problem on a route I'm taking a break from. I used scottish's 'DMT UK Self Build Restricted Traffic Zone 50 TRC'. He has a series of Traffic stoppers of different lengths all named 'DMT UK Self Build Restricted Traffic Zone xx TRC', with xx the length in Meters. Here's a picture of it, even though the scottish's traffic stopper doesn't appear. There are also other length traffic stoppers made by vincentrh, all starting with 'TRC Traffic Stopper'.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the response...and the suggestion. I was unaware of this asset until your suggestion so I'm excited about its potential.

Just to make sure I understand (the instructions only seem to provide how to assign it to the group of assets, not how it works) this is a simple traffic stopper in several different lengths? I have several places where this would be quite useful, so I appreciate you sharing the suggestion. I have been overlaying crossings at different angles (one for the road, one for the track) in those places where I can live with a straight track crossing at something other than the 30 or 90 degree angles that TRC provides...so this will be a much better option.

As it relates specifically to the curved crossing, am I correct that there must be a 'crossing' somewhere along that curved track to tell the program that the train as reached....the later cleared...the actual space occupied by the road? Presuming this track was a live track into an industry, what options are there to let all the various pieces and parts associated with that crossing that there is a train occupying the road area...to active the signals and stop the cars? All of those that I can find (except the ATLS triggers) require a section of straight track. I'm under the impression that the TRC triggers need to reference an adjacent crossing to work properly (or at all perhaps?).

Thanks again for the help here.

Don't know about Scottish, but the TRC like others have spline point connections for both track and road = straight, so not sure how they can work on a curve. They don't use ATLS, that's another system entirely. Vincentrh has a simple trigger with adjustable lengths for telling the traffic to stop and start. I shall have a look at the Scottish version as soon as my route loads.

Ive just tested this and it works a treat. Easy to set up and works !! Much easier to do than the ATLS.
PG

Bottom line here is that for this to work, you don't have to connect the track. Think, this crossing is there just to stop traffic, so it is controlled by the triggers. Leave the track alone and have it to be in a curve or grade. Position the stopper more or less where the road crosses and attach the road to it. The angle is not right? turn the stopper so that the roads are properly aligned to your satisfaction. Put the trigger on the track facing the stopper and configure it. Add barriers or lights and link them to the stopper. One more thing: The stopper has rails, and if it is not lined-up to the track, or at an angle, you will see them! So, select an invisible track and connect it to the stopper: magic, the stopper track becomes invisible. Delete the short piece of invisible track. Sometimes the road is over the track or under, so just adjust the height of the now invisible stopper so the track is perfectly on surface with the road. It works all the time and I use it everywhere.

Bottom line here is that for this to work, you don't have to connect the track. Think, this crossing is there just to stop traffic, so it is controlled by the triggers. Leave the track alone and have it to be in a curve or grade. Position the stopper more or less where the road crosses and attach the road to it. The angle is not right? turn the stopper so that the roads are properly aligned to your satisfaction. Put the trigger on the track facing the stopper and configure it. Add barriers or lights and link them to the stopper. One more thing: The stopper has rails, and if it is not lined-up to the track, or at an angle, you will see them! So, select an invisible track and connect it to the stopper: magic, the stopper track becomes invisible. Delete the short piece of invisible track. Sometimes the road is over the track or under, so just adjust the height of the now invisible stopper so the track is perfectly on surface with the road. It works all the time and I use it everywhere.

Thank you for that!

:B~)

Well that has just become confusing! With the TRC3 trigger you don't actually connect anything except the road. Quote: "Bottom line here is that for this to work, you don't have to connect the track. " But then later you say Quote: "the stopper has rails, and if it is not lined-up to the track, or at an angle, you will see them! So, select an invisible track and connect it to the stopper" So which is it? The <kuid:359841:80193> DMT UK Self Build Restricted Traffic Zone 6 TRC does not have any track attachments which is why your first comment makes sense and can be used on curved track and track/road crossings at any angle. My only problem is it doesn't recognise via the trigger any suitable Aus/NZ crossing lights and barriers.

My statement is correct. On the traffic stopper I use, it has rails, and it also has spline ends on it for rails. Leave disconnected. Now, you don't want to see these rails because they maybe are at an angle with the track rails you are crossing, so i use an invisible track to make these on the stopper, invisible. Now, when you rotate it at any angle to lineup the road, the whole thing will be invisible, but still will stop the traffic. One other thing I noticed is that all this works better if you use the barriers or lights from TRC, there is no point on using a Xing crossing or any other because you don't need these to stop any traffic as the stopper will do it nicely. The barriers or lights could be there just to give the sensation that they stop cars from going through, but really, it is the now invisible stopper the one doing this. I hope I clarified all this. Haven't used the Traffic zone 6. I use the stopper available at DLS but don't have Kuid now, they come in 3 flavors, 90 degree, 30 degree and 45 degree if I can remember.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm experimenting with a few options right now and all the suggestions have gotten me back in the right direction.

Back