Use Session 'Bound' Layer to Access Industries

C_Blabsky

A little gem of knowledge from Wiki (probably pware). Adding a layer to Session, and then 'binding' a route asset to that layer.

Specific use, the subject of this thread, is to allow access to industries in Surveyor that may be blocked by buildings or other scenery. And without having to 'save as new route.'

While creating or modifying a Session:
In Surveyor Layers tab, add layer to Session tab and label it 'Hide' or whatever. Now use the Scenery tab to query the blocking building; when the window opens, use the drop down menu to change the Bound designation to your new layer. Leave the top Route designation alone (any click may trigger a save). Go back to Layers and close the eye on your hide layer. The building, loading ramp, or whatever will disappear to allow mouse access to the industry (Configure the industry in the Session layer!). After configuration, open the eye for your hide layer and save; notice that this should only be a Session save and not prompt for a new route.

I hope this has been clear and correct, and helpful. Any clarification or correction would be taken gratefully.

For various reasons, I often clone a DL'd route, and add layers to the route itself. But the above method has worked well when using the original route.

regards,

Blabsky

A little gem of knowledge from Wiki (probably pware). Adding a layer to Session, and then 'binding' a route asset to that layer.

Specific use, the subject of this thread, is to allow access to industries in Surveyor that may be blocked by buildings or other scenery. And without having to 'save as new route.'

While creating or modifying a Session:
In Surveyor Layers tab, add layer to Session tab and label it 'Hide' or whatever. Now use the Scenery tab to query the blocking building; when the window opens, use the drop down menu to change the Bound designation to your new layer. Leave the top Route designation alone (any click may trigger a save). Go back to Layers and close the eye on your hide layer. The building, loading ramp, or whatever will disappear to allow mouse access to the industry (Configure the industry in the Session layer!). After configuration, open the eye for your hide layer and save; notice that this should only be a Session save and not prompt for a new route.

I hope this has been clear and correct, and helpful. Any clarification or correction would be taken gratefully.

For various reasons, I often clone a DL'd route, and add layers to the route itself. But the above method has worked well when using the original route.

regards,

Blabsky

This sounds right. I do something similar to this frequently. Make sure you take note of which layer is active when you leave the layers tab.

I'd say that's a piece of gem information there, as I've had that problem many times, so thanks.

Here is another bound layer "gem" that I recently came across. Very useful when you need to remove something from a locked route (e.g. payware) but you cannot save the route.

If you need to remove an object from a route but cannot alter the route (e.g. it is payware or under another users kuid) then create a new hidden session layer and change the bound layer of the object to the hidden layer. This will be treated as a change to the session only and Trainz will not ask you to save the route as well as the session.

Back