Does saving a route mean that file has everything you have built

revron

RevRon
I have lost many routes by accidentally deleting a saved file, so now every time I save I give it a number and so I have 51 route files pertaining to my build. My question is if I deleted files 1 to 50 would I be deleting all that I have created or does 51 contain all the other files?
I have spent much time on this and ai do not want to delete anything

Every time you save a route you save everything in that route. So route51 will contain everything that is also in route 50 plus anything you have added since saving route50 minus anything you have deleted since saving route 50.

But beware of the differences between routes and sessions. Certain things (industry settings, rolling stock loads, weather conditions, junction settings, rules and driver commands to list a few) plus anything you have placed into a session layer are saved in sessions not routes.

Deleting route1 to route50 will have no effect on route51.

Do you have any sessions related to the route? If you do these may get deleted if they are referenced to an earlier route number.

You should also save cdp file backups of your own work in case of deletion, computer crash, computer move, etc. These are then installed the same as 3rd party assest. Just drop them onto a Content Manager window to install.

See "Transferring via CDP" on this page.
https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki...tent#Transferring_via_CDP_files_.28Easiest.29

You should be making complete backup(s) of all your computer data anyway! You WILL delete something at some point. Your computer will CRASH at some point. Your disk will DIE at some point.

There is also something worth mentioning here as well.

When you export a route and session to a CDP, or separate CDPs, keep in mind that it's only the route and session that are being exported and not the content. The content is referenced in the config.txt file and in the individual route and session files. If there's proprietary content, you will want to export that as well to CDPs as well. This is a good idea anyway, besides, doing more than periodic back ups of both individual assets you deem important as well as a wholesale data-folder backup to a separate hard disk is more than highly recommended. The worst thing you don't want is a disk failure and the loss of all your content, especially purchased assets, as well as your own hard work you've done when building routes and sessions.

OK pware, thanks for that
I have been careful to save both session and route together each time, so am I hearing you say that my 'session stuff' should be ok in route (and session) 51?
A little paranoid because when I moved from TANE to TRS 19 I lost ALL my files

OK pware, thanks for that
I have been careful to save both session and route together each time, so am I hearing you say that my 'session stuff' should be ok in route (and session) 51?
A little paranoid because when I moved from TANE to TRS 19 I lost ALL my files

The session stuff, meaning consists and all the rules you've configured, and route-stuff meaning trees, track, buildings, and all the other decorations, are separate from the actual route and session. The assets are tracked through the route and session data files and point back to the content stored on your disk. In the route, the content exists as a list of KUIDs in a Name-table as it's called that also tracks the location on the route. The content gets loaded up when the route loads on the fly.

You can put your session and route together in one CDP if you want. I do that when I want a single package, but I also save them separately. I don't blame you for being a bit on edge. I lost a whole data disk, but luckily came out unscathed with my TS12 content at the time. I was darn lucky and it made me very diligent with backups after that. Shame on me too because I used to do that for a living as part of my MIS and IT jobs I once had.

Last edited:
Jumping in here: The process you described is an excellent model. If the original author had a structured process where one click would have executed those steps Trainz life would be less stressful. Package the steps into one "master click to save" step. Allow that step to be customized should a total save regime not be needed. Probably there are several reading these messages who have been faced with saving data but unclear about when, how much, where, and format.:eek:

You should also save cdp file backups of your own work in case of deletion, computer crash, computer move, etc. These are then installed the same as 3rd party assest. Just drop them onto a Content Manager window to install.

See "Transferring via CDP" on this page.
https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki...tent#Transferring_via_CDP_files_.28Easiest.29

You should be making complete backup(s) of all your computer data anyway! You WILL delete something at some point. Your computer will CRASH at some point. Your disk will DIE at some point.

So having read the article I am a little bit hesitant to have a go and saving this stuff ...and particularly, if the session stuff only appears as part of the session that I put it in...viz a stack of EMUs was placed in Route # 40 which also contained the session.
Does that set of EMUs also show up on #51?

Is there a more understandable field of directions to save to CDP on a Mac? or is this the best we’ve got

A Session is created as a dependent of a Route - that is the Session is tied to the route that was in Surveyor when the Session was created. The Session is a DEPENDENT of the Route and the Route is a DEPENDENCY of the Session - to use the Trainz CM language.

So if you created a Session for Route #40 then that Session can only be loaded as a part of Route #40. If you delete Route #40 then, while the Session will NOT be deleted (it is a separate file), it will lose the route to which it is attached and CM will report it as faulty with a missing asset (the Route).

It is possible to assign a saved Session to a different Route (e.g. from Route #40 to Route #51) by editing the config.txt file to point it at the new Route.

When you open CM and highlight your route and session then save as a CDP, it is only the route and session that are saved. None of what is on them is saved in the CDP only the reference to those assets.
When you import the CDP to a new installation for example only the route and session are installed and not the assets in the route. These will show as missing and can be downloaded from the DLS or imported from CDP if they are third-party assets.
If you placed assets in your route #40 or in its session then they will only move forward to route #41 if you edited the #40 session in surveyor and then saved it as #41. If you edited only route #40 and then saved as #41 the #40 session will become unlinked to route #41.

If you placed the EMU's in the #40 session and as long as you edited the session in surveyor each time and you saved both route and session they will go with the session to #41, #42 etc.
A session is only attached to the route it was saved with at that time, not to any other saved route of the same name.

stagecoach;1866472 If you placed the EMU's in the #40 session and as long as you edited the session in surveyor each time and you saved both route and session they will go with the session to #41 said:
Thanks stagecoach
I think I got it right.
Every time I saved, I saved both route and session.
I am on 2 weeks leave at the moment but when I get home I will give it ago
Thank you all for your help
God bless you
revron

Back