Procedural Track for use in heavy snow.

Greetings Trainzers,

I have had a look around on the DLS but cannot seem to find any procedural trackage that has been very heavily snowed upon.

Is there any such available that I missed?

I use TANE build 4.5 and the route it will be used on requires standard gauge.

Thanks in advance

A71

Last edited:
There are built-in pro-tracks as well such as those by Andi06 that are seasonal. The snow, if recall correctly, goes right up to the railheads. For a full-effect of a snow covered ROW, you will need snowbanks as well with some quite deep while other only piles. I know because where I live we have snow at least 3-months out of a year with some years producing a substantial amount such as 2014-2015 season where we had a storm every Wednesday that produced a meter or more of snow each time. At the end of the season, Boston had well over 40 meters and had trouble disposing of it. Where I live, I had to back my vehicle out of the driveway straight out on to the road, and pray no one was coming, because I couldn't turn my wheels until I was passed the snow canyon.

There is one called something like TANE Trk Oak snow-lite, <kuid:661281:44011> with light snow cover. It's on the DLS.

Another called TANE Trk Oak - Snow <kuid:661281:44004> has full snow cover. Not sure if that's on the DLS or just built-in to TANE.

Both are procedural track and have permanent snow, not snowline-dependent.

Last edited:
There is one called something like TANE Trk Oak snow-lite, <kuid:661281:44011> with light snow cover. It's on the DLS.

Another called TANE Trk Oak - Snow <kuid:661281:44004> has full snow cover. Not sure if that's on the DLS or just built-in to TANE.

Both are procedural track and have permanent snow, not snowline-dependent.

Hi Deano, hope you are doing ok these days.

My CMP tells me I have the assets you mention here, but they do not show up in my track menu in Surveyor. Strange. Setting the snowline low doesn't appear to work for me with the Protracks. More Trainz mysteries, or maybe the problem is me - I have not made a snowy route before so am a bit of a beginner with this.

Does the World Origin play into this somehow? I note that the elevations used in the route are nowhere near their real-world altitudes.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the hints and tips guys.

After playing around with the World Origin, Protrack assets, snowline setting etc, a good looking solution has presented itself. I found excellent track assets on the DLS made by hiawathamr:

<kuid2:605579:100653:1> HI Procedural Rusty Track- Seasonal
<kuid:605579:102030> HI Procedural Shiny Track - Seasonal

These assets do actually work as intended as seasonal tracks. The snow doesn't come up to the railhead, but I found that by raising the terrain below the track (gently !) the exposed sleepers can be abundantly covered with "snow" as desired. This effect, used alongside Dinorius_Redundicus excellent snow bank assets:

<kuid2:68213:37063:2> Snow bank spline 1
<kuid2:68213:37064:2> Snow bank spline 2
<kuid2:68213:37065:2> Snow bank spline 3

and the overall effect is really nice. Now comes the hard bit - this treatment now has to be applied along the entire route........................................see you in a few weeks.

A71

Last edited:
There are built-in pro-tracks as well such as those by Andi06 that are seasonal. The snow, if recall correctly, goes right up to the railheads. For a full-effect of a snow covered ROW, you will need snowbanks as well with some quite deep while other only piles. I know because where I live we have snow at least 3-months out of a year with some years producing a substantial amount such as 2014-2015 season where we had a storm every Wednesday that produced a meter or more of snow each time. At the end of the season, Boston had well over 40 meters and had trouble disposing of it. Where I live, I had to back my vehicle out of the driveway straight out on to the road, and pray no one was coming, because I couldn't turn my wheels until I was passed the snow canyon.

Move to Australia and you will not have this problem. You know you want to, John.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdihHnaOQsk

Back